My Damn Grits!

Options
CorinthiaB
CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
I know this may sound trivial but, I want to know. I am a country girl and I love me some grits. However, I don't think for one minute that the numbers in the database are correct. I looked up Jim Dandy (brand of choice) enriched quick grits and I get 160 calories for 1/4 cup. I then went online and searched for the same product and on the nutritional label for the grits it says 15 calories. I assumed that is not cooked. However, I don't see cooking in water and salt will add that many calories. I know the volume thing. So, I did some more research and found that a genertic listing of cereal, corn grits, white, regular, enriched, quick, cooked with water and salt at 242g(1 cup) 143 calories. Hmm... Have I been under eating my grits and counting too many calories. Let's be real! 1/4 cup of grits ain't cutting it for 160 calories. I think MFP is way off. What do you think?

Replies

• HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    When I guess it blows up while cooking it adds cals? But grits are carbs.....So it would make since
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Are you sure they aren't counting the butter?
  • KEN1013
    KEN1013 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i had grits today and that the same thing,,,when i make my cream of wheat its stays 100 like the package so why did the grits thing differnt i dont know??? ...hope someone can help us:huh:
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    When I guess it blows up while cooking it adds cals? But grits are carbs.....So it would make since
    Um it gets bigger because it soaks up the water...
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I think if you ate them the way i do with butter and about a cup of brown sugar then you would be in trouble...lol
  • KeepItOff4Life
    Options
    Go off of what your package reads, and make sure you take into account the per serving part, as I'm sure you have. If I think something is off, I just scan it with my phone or manually enter the nutrition information.
  • newdaynewme
    newdaynewme Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    it's 1/4 cup of grits dry, they expand of course when they are cooked. I eat the quaker oats brand and those are about 160 or around that number of calories per 1/4 cup dry so yes, it's alot by they are soooo good and filling
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Grits themselves are not fattening...it's all the stuff we put in them! :)

Grits are basically a carb like potatoes or something. Potatoes are not bad for you or fattening; neither are grits. But we southerners (I'm in SC) tend to load them up with salt, butter, cheese, etc. That's what isn't good. If you use a low-fat margarine or butter or some low-fat cheese, that would help keep the calories low. Try adding some other seasonings to them besides salt, but if that doesn't appeal to you, just keep the salt to a minimum as much as you can. As to calorie count, go by what the package says. They are required by law to report an accurate count.

Enjoy your grits!
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options

yes ik
  • KeepItOff4Life
    Options
    This is what I found...

Jim Dandy: Enriched Quick Grits, 32 Oz

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 46 G
    Servings Per Container 20
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 16Calories from Fat 5
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat .5 G 1
    Saturated Fat 0 G 0
    Cholesterol 0 Mg 0
    Sodium 0 Mg 0
    Total Carbohydrate 35 G 12
    Dietary Fiber <1 G 4
    Sugars 0 G
    Protein 4 G
    Thiamin 15
    Riboflavin 6
    Niacin 8
    Folic Acid 15
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    I don't know...but maybe you can have 1/2 c grits since they are fast carb and basically turns into sugar almost immediately. You can add low fat butter and enjoy. :)
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    do you cook them with water or milk?
  • CorinthiaB
    Options
    I found the problem. The MFP database has the calorie information for dry grits and it is not specified. I did find my brand in MFP and it speicified prepared and the prepared calories are more inline to the information I found online. I am so mad. lol I ate grits for breakfast this morning and only had a 1/4 of cup thinking they were 160 calories. Now, I am hungry! Glad I have some fresh fruit here at the office. Thanks!
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that most of the foods / dietary info in MFP database are input by members. I often find the info incorrect. Go by the packaging and if you don't need the other nutritional info like fat or sodium, then I would just do a quick cal input when logging your grits. P.S. I love my grits too, esp. with garlic salt and cheese:bigsmile:
  • CorinthiaB
    Options
    do you cook them with water or milk?

I cooke them with water and most time I don't add butter. I found out that the 160 calories is for the dry grits.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    yes ik
    So you think that water adds calories?
  • nilroctarp
    Options
    had some Quaker brand grits last night. carton said 1/4 cup had 130 calories. but that was before i added some bad stuff to them. shame on me.
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    So I think you have it figured out... but just to be sure... cook your grits with just water and some salt and it will be about 140 calories for one cup cooked grits. My husband LOVES grits! Enjoy!

Beth
  • sakhet
    sakhet Posts: 1
    Options
    Being a die hard southern girl myself; I did the research. The fact is 1/4 cup of dry grits is equivalent to 1 cup of cooked grits.
    I have copied and pasted the factual information. I cannot believe some of the responses you have received. This of course is not including any butter or salt. As a true southerner, I must put butter and salt in them and input that information as well.
    Good luck.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 cup of cooked
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 3

Calories 109

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 0.34g 1%
    Saturated Fat 0.046g 0%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.15g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.087g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 317mg 13%
    Potassium 39mg
    Total Carbohydrate 23.11g 8%
    Dietary Fiber 0.5g 2%
    Sugars 0.19g
    Protein 2.56g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%

Calcium 0% Iron 6%
  • MrsCurvyFab
    MrsCurvyFab Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    yes i measure 1 cup out for my grits. i love grits its our favorite sunday breakfast. I also add a slice of cheese, overeasy egg and a slice of bacon (all in the same bowl!) 310 calories... but worth it for me at least :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!