Dirty calories vs clean calories

Options
A lot of people say " count your calories, because calories are calories." and that brings me to to my discussion. What is a the difference between a person eating 2000 calories worth of clean food like oatmeal, chicken breasts, egg whites, veggies and fruits compared to a person who eats 2000 calories worth of Oreos, french fries, ice cream, & potato chips.

And what is more important in fat and weight loss: Counting calories or eating very clean? I guess the questions go hand in hand.

Replies

• j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    It will be hard hitting your macros and micros eating junk food all day. How can you get your protein in if all you eat is oreos, french fries, icecream and chips?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it doesn't matter.

Except that it is usually easier to feel satisfied with lots of protein and fiber, and therefore easier to stay within your calorie goals.

And, since you mention fat specifically, most junk food doesn't have enough protein to support strong muscles, so your body fat percentage will be high, even if you lose weight.

And eating ONLY crap will eventually affect your energy levels, which will slow you down and mean that you need even fewer calories.

And eating ONLY crap will not be ideal for your long term health.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    None for weight loss only.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    First, you're excluding the middle. MOST people eat a combination of the two, not strictly one or the other.

That aside, in your hypothetical scenario weight loss would be the same but the person eating only oreos, chips, etc would like be hungry and would not be getting their micronutrient needs met.

My personal preference is IIFYM. I eat mostly whole foods, hit my protein and fats, get a few servings of veggies, and still have room for ice cream or cookies.
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y

take 180 minutes of your day and listen to what this guy has to say about calorie being a calorie....

the truth will blow you away
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y

take 180 minutes of your day and listen to what this guy has to say about calorie being a calorie....

the truth will blow you away

That's not "the truth"

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

I've done just fine for myself without eliminating sugar. I only limit it in the sense that I only eat as much as fits my calorie and macro targets.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    First, you're excluding the middle. MOST people eat a combination of the two, not strictly one or the other.

That aside, in your hypothetical scenario weight loss would be the same but the person eating only oreos, chips, etc would like be hungry and would not be getting their micronutrient needs met.

My personal preference is IIFYM. I eat mostly whole foods, hit my protein and fats, get a few servings of veggies, and still have room for ice cream or cookies.

This.
    It does not have to be either / or.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Counting calories, no contest.

Just hit your macros, eat some fruits and veg, and eat whatever else you want and you'll be successful long term. It will teach you through the process how to make choices so that you incorporate what you like and also get what you need. You'll get to maintenance and have a smooth transition.
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    It depends a little on the person. For an average healthy person calories in is all that matters, it's a unit of energy burn. However, if you have some health problems it may not be true for you. For example if you are lactose intolerant your body might pass those calories out through your butt and they will not attach to your fat. Some people digest food better than others (colon length) and they get more of a calorie intake than those who don't digest food as well in general.

It all depends on you personally. For most, though, if there is a difference it is pretty small in terms of weight loss. Of course in terms of long term health the difference will be pretty vast, especially if you are prone to diabetes and fun stuff like that.
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am not a "clean" eater and just count calories. I have been very successful in weight loss. Obviously, cleaner eating has more health benefits, but I've lost weight just logging calories and not eating clean.
  • firetoostrong
    Options

Except that it is usually easier to feel satisfied with lots of protein and fiber, and therefore easier to stay within your calorie goals.

And, since you mention fat specifically, most junk food doesn't have enough protein to support strong muscles, so your body fat percentage will be high, even if you lose weight.

And eating ONLY crap will eventually affect your energy levels, which will slow you down and mean that you need even fewer calories.

Thank you for your reply, i also have a second question and anyone can answer this.
    For example, lets say i'm eating 100% clean at a 1600 cap ( 2300 being my maintenance level ) Meaning i'm cutting 700 a day, if i decide to go an extra 200 or 300 a day at like 1800-1900 , but eveyrthing is 100% clean. Will this hinder my fat loss?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply, i also have a second question and anyone can answer this.
    For example, lets say i'm eating 100% clean at a 1600 cap ( 2300 being my maintenance level ) Meaning i'm cutting 700 a day, if i decide to go an extra 200 or 300 a day at like 1800-1900 , but eveyrthing is 100% clean. Will this hinder my fat loss?

Clean calories are calories like any other. If you add 300 calories your deficit will be 400 calories, which is a little under 1lb/wk.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options

If you are losing about 1.5 lbs a week at your current deficit, and decrease the deficit to 500 calories/day, you can expect that your weight loss will slow to about 1 lb a week, no matter what the composition of your diet. So it could be said to hinder your fat loss, since it would slow down due to the smaller deficit.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Clean calories are calories like any other. If you add 300 calories your deficit will be 400 calories, which is a little under 1lb/wk.

Yup.

And to the same token, if you go over your maintenance calories you'll still gain weight even if the calories are "clean"
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    'Clean' eating is a totally meaningless label and no one can agree on what it even means. Weight loss is about a calorie deficit. Period.

I've lost almost 60lbs and I'm now maintaining that loss all while eating fast food several times a week, 'processed' foods etc. I'm healthy, happy and eating in a way that's sustainable for me, for the rest of my life. That's what real success is-doing this whole thing in a way that makes you part of the 5%, that figure out how to make it work long term, versus the 95% that don't.
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options
    A lot of people say " count your calories, because calories are calories." and that brings me to to my discussion. What is a the difference between a person eating 2000 calories worth of clean food like oatmeal, chicken breasts, egg whites, veggies and fruits compared to a person who eats 2000 calories worth of Oreos, french fries, ice cream, & potato chips.

And what is more important in fat and weight loss: Counting calories or eating very clean? I guess the questions go hand in hand.

wot? well for one, one is a balance of carbs fats and protein, the other is all fat and carbs. so no, those 2 diets are not equal
  • PRprincess
    PRprincess Posts: 200 Member
    Options

This.
    It does not have to be either / or.

Agree!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

700 calories is pretty big deficit for a 21 year old male. You're risking muscle loss, low energy, and have less likelihood of long term adherence The 400 calorie deficit sounds like a better idea. But no, it doesn't have to be 100% "clean". Again, it's hard to stick with something that restrictive.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    It's mostly about nutrient density vs calories. If a diet meets those nutrient requirements, then it doesn't matter what you eat. As far as your scenario goes, well that's pitting one extreme against another......fat loss isn't the same as weight loss, different ballgame.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    For weight loss...doesn't matter at all. Eat junk. Doesn't matter.
    For optimal health and to look and feel better....yes. it matters. But there's still a place for an occasional treat even if you're eating clean and consciously.