What is a good, healthy weight for a woman who is 5'2"?

Options

Replies

• crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", but I have a naturally muscular and curvy body. I've been down as low as 125 when I was in high school and looked like I was starving. Ideally, I'd love to get down to 135lbs, but have never been below 140 since my freshman year of college (I'm 24 now). HOWEVER, though my weight is so much higher than most, I have 20% body fat which makes me leaner than average and I don't let the number bog me down. I have to go by measurements of hips and stuff along with body fat % because I would literally have to deprive myself of everything to go below 140. Maybe some day as my diet stays healthy, I'll be able to dip below, but I could never fathom getting below 135.

I look at it this way, I would rather be fit and toned rather than society's idea of "skinny" and rail-thin. If you don't feel good about your body, start doing some strength training twice a week between cardio days and up your protein intake. Do be aware, you will gain weight possibly because of muscle toning. 5lbs of muscle takes up much less space than 5lbs fat. So when you do this, measure thighs, hips, waist, and arms. I also measure calves, but my calves are huge naturally. Good luck!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and have been anywhere from about 140 to my current weight of slightly under 110. I'm small framed, almost no curves, and I like being on the slimmer side. That said, people thought I looked good when I was ten pounds heavier, too. As others mentioned, it's going to boil down to how you want to look, and how easy or hard that look is going to be to maintain. For me, I have to keep logging/measuring my food and exercising regularly to keep this shape. Good luck and congrats on your loss so far!
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and weigh 120lbs. You are at a great weight. I would start weight and resistance training. It has helped me tremendously. :flowerforyou:
  • KimberlyAnn327
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies (and friend requests!). I don't have expectations of looking like a super model. I do feel very flabby in the stomach area. That's pretty much the only area I'm unhappy about. I was doing well with cardio but I'm also a full time student and really just don't have much time these days. I've started looking online about lifting weights but there is a lot of info out there and I feel a little overwhelmed and intimidated by it. When I'm dressed, I look okay but with my shirt off, you can tell I could definitely stand to lose some fat in that area. Not that I go around not wearing a shirt, really. It just makes me unhappy when I see it. Are there any good exercises to do specifically for the stomach?
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to say, you're the first person I've met who shares my name! Yay for the Kimberly Anns!!!
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies (and friend requests!). I don't have expectations of looking like a super model. I do feel very flabby in the stomach area. That's pretty much the only area I'm unhappy about. I was doing well with cardio but I'm also a full time student and really just don't have much time these days. I've started looking online about lifting weights but there is a lot of info out there and I feel a little overwhelmed and intimidated by it. When I'm dressed, I look okay but with my shirt off, you can tell I could definitely stand to lose some fat in that area. Not that I go around not wearing a shirt, really. It just makes me unhappy when I see it. Are there any good exercises to do specifically for the stomach?

Are you sure it's not mostly skin from the babies? You're not really going to "diet" that away, so best just learn to love it.

What pants size are you?

I'm 5'2" as well, and when I've been below 110..... I cannot find pants. I'm currently a size 4 at 123. Did you know that many department store lines don't make clothing below a vanity sized 6? Going below 6 will cut your wardrobe choices a lot.. Going down to zero means that there is very, very little available ANYWHERE that is appropriate for a mature woman to wear.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    119lbs at 5'2" is awesome!!! I wish I was there...

But like the person that posted behind you... I would add weight lifting! It will change your entire outlook!!

I haven't seen my scale move that much in the last few weeks... but my clothes are fitting differently and I can certainly tell that I am stronger and I have lost inches!!!

Keep at it girl!! :)

Agreed. Awesome job and start picking things up and putting them down.
  • pps7
    pps7 Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 113 lbs. I look pretty good with clothes on and all of my clothes fit me again. But I am still a bit flabby so I need to add lean muscle and cut down body fat %. Probably 110 would be my ideal, but I'm not doing anything drastic to get there bc I'm just not sure I can maintain that.

I agree, it may be that your belly has a lot of loose skin from the kids. Give your body time to adjust to your new size and try to change up your workout routine to add more resistance training. There's tons of stuff on YouTube.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Kinda depends on how you carry the weight and what that weight is. 5'2 here @130. Just finished bulking and now cutting. I don't think I will be down more than 120ish.

At the end it's just a number. How you feel about yourself is what is important.

To answer your question you cannot spot reduce. I do suggest you look into Stronglifts, Starting Strength or new rules of lifting as a good starter's lifting program
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and my goal is 170. If I could get to 150, that would be just gravy. But I love gravy so probably 170!!!
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It's sad that American culture has taught you that the healthy range taught by American Government and Researchers makes you look "too skinny".

America's culture has become too okay with being at unhealthy weights.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I always averaged around 125 and felt great at that weight. I'm shooting to get back down there.
  • VictoriasImage77
    VictoriasImage77 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm between 5'2" and 5'3." Never mind what I weigh now lol, but when I was healthy my body fluctuated between 125 and 135lbs. I had a lot of muscle and ran tons. I struggled to get much lower than that. I think it just depends on your body. I know that even though my goal weight is 135, I might be happier in the 140s.
  • amandahowze1
    amandahowze1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Kudos too you. That is awesome. As everyone else said... Incorporate weights if you are unhappy. But to go from 170 to 119 is amazing. You should be proud of yourself and just enjoy it .
  • KimberlyAnn327
    Options
    I'm around a size 7. So if I do abdominal exercises, that won't really cut down in fat in that area? You can tell I don't know much about resistance training. I do know my school has a weight room so I could always go there.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Ab exercises will improve your core strength, which is a very healthy thing, but won't get rid of your pooch. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do them, but do them with the right expectations, which is that you'll still have to do something else to get rid of that last bit of fat if you want to show off your hard work. As a personal example, I'm above my ideal weight and have a bit of tummy fat. However, I could probably stop bullets with my abs. (I have an old spinal injury and I need to maintain excellent core strength to stabilize it; since "not being in excruciating pain" is a great motivator, I kept up with those even during a period of time when I let my other exercise slide and my diet went to hell.) There's a six-pack under there somewhere...but it's buried!

And if you're the birth-mama of those seven kids, wear your pooch proudly even while you try to reduce it. You earned it!
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and weight in at 110-111. Appx 19% body fat, 41% muscle mass (these stats indicate 'athlete status' but I feel that there is still room for improvement). Females our height vary from the low 100's to 120 as "ideal/healthy". It's a fairly wide range.

Honestly, you shouldn't worry so much about how many pounds you weigh. How you look and feel is much more important. Also, keep in mind that muscle is denser than fat so you can bikini-ready even with a higher weight. I'd rather be a few pounds heavier on the scale but slim and toned all over than lighter with just skin, bones and fat.

Handy dandy chart for fat %:
    http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm

Example of a female with heavier weight but leaner body:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R6hkM1bINWw/UWwkYnpw-YI/AAAAAAAADrg/-a0ojhfgkUo/s1600/Body+Transformation+-+Girl+with+Abs+muscle+-+66+kg.jpg
  • KimberlyAnn327
    Options
    You're right that it's not totally about weight. I'd much rather be a heavier weight but look more toned. I do have a picture to share. And like I said, I do look better with clothes on. April 2013 was after I lost some weight so it's not quite a before/after picture. This picture if public so hopefully you'll be able to see it. I think I'll check out the weight room at school when I go tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201033406469091&set=a.1146375871328.2019909.1585480075&type=3&theater
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It's all going to come down to what you are happy with, so long as you're within the healthy % body fat range - not weight. Weight does not matter.

Do you like a softer look? You want a higher %BF. Prefer to have a flat (or flatter) stomach? Or like to see some muscle? Then you need to drop some %BF.

As is apparent in this thread, everyone sees themselves differently and has a different opinion of where they are "too skinny". There was someone who mentioned they were 5'2" in a size 2 and felt they were too skinny. I'm 5'3", wear a size 2 and would be in a size 0 except for a some nice fat rolls remaining on my belly - when I'm standing. Of course I'm going to have rolls when I'm sitting. Everyone does. I've got some fat to spare on my butt, hips, and thighs, too, but it's better distributed. I don't feel I'm too skinny. But, I do lift. So, as I loose fat I look smaller and more muscular, not smaller and bonier. It makes a difference.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What size dress do you want to wear? If you fit in it you won.