Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    PlugraSalted8oz.jpg

Carry on...

I wanna try that fried.
    I want to know what the difference between butter and european butter is, in the UK we just get butter salted or unsalted!!!
    The only time I have issues with butter is when I mix it with a pound of sugar and a can of condensed milk and make tablet (there aren't enough numbers on my calculator to figure out the calories!!!!)
    The difference is in the water content, European butter has less. Some butters, the famous ones, from some regions are also protected by law, much like cheese is.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    The day I finally ditched the "no fat" mindset, ditched the hideous low-fat spreads and embraced butter (and olive oil) was the day my body loved me again.

That said, it depends on what you want to substitute the butter in. There are some things where there is no substitute - scrambled eggs or omelettes; fried vegs (don't forget - unsaturated fats/oils can hydrogenate at high temperatures, so butter or animal fat is better) - just use it in moderation. You don't need butter on toast or in sandwiches, as long as you've got something else to moisten the bread (or it's *very* good bread) - I don't butter my breakfast muffins, for instance. I just let the bacon fat seep into the bread.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    PlugraSalted8oz.jpg

Carry on...

I wanna try that fried.
    I want to know what the difference between butter and european butter is, in the UK we just get butter salted or unsalted!!!
    The only time I have issues with butter is when I mix it with a pound of sugar and a can of condensed milk and make tablet (there aren't enough numbers on my calculator to figure out the calories!!!!)

Another poster said water content. I totally believe it. Plugra (or Kerrygold, which is also awesome) is richer and more flavorful. You don't need as much to get that buttery goodness. :-)
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    PlugraSalted8oz.jpg

Carry on...

I wanna try that fried.
    The difference is in the water content, European butter has less. Some butters, the famous ones, from some regions are also protected by law, much like cheese is.

^ This. Plugra and Kerrygold are wonderful for cooking.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have butter in my coffee. It's awesome!
  • TheRealMarsupial12
    Options
    PlugraSalted8oz.jpg

Carry on...

I usually buy Kerrygold but tried this based on this thread. It tastes like pesticide to me.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Butter is healthy. Keep using it if you can fit it in.

I agree butter is perfectly healthy. The only reason why I don't add butter to bread, etc is that I am weird and prefer the taste of many foods plain
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    With any food that you are considering eating here's the check list:

* Are you allergic or will the food adversely affect your health e.g. you are diabetic?
    * Did the doctor tell you not to eat it?
    * Will eating it mess up your calorie/macro goals?
    * Do you like the way it tastes?

Anything else is hyperbole.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    PlugraSalted8oz.jpg

Carry on...

I usually buy Kerrygold but tried this based on this thread. It tastes like pesticide to me.

Hm. That's a first. Then don't eat it.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Is there a healthy substitute for real butter? I've always used real butter, love the taste of it I suppose. It's just quite high in calories, anyone have any ideas on a healthy/tasty substitution?

Hm, you do realize it has fewer calories than olive oil when compared tbs to tbs.

Maybe but olive oil is a lot better for you than butter.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Is there a healthy substitute for real butter? I've always used real butter, love the taste of it I suppose. It's just quite high in calories, anyone have any ideas on a healthy/tasty substitution?

Hm, you do realize it has fewer calories than olive oil when compared tbs to tbs.

Better in what way?......I'm sure most people that consume butter also consume other fats and I would bet a very high percentage around here also consume olive oil.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, butter.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

Better in what way?......I'm sure most people that consume butter also consume other fats and I would bet a very high percentage around here also consume olive oil.

I'm not quite sure what your point is. Someone stated that butter has less calories than olive oil. I said that was true but that olive oil is healthier than butter. Whether or not someone consumes butter, olive oil and other fats wasn't what I was addressing. I use both butter and olive oil however if I were forced to choose between the two I'd choose olive oil.

And for what it's worth:

BUTTER
    Butter is a concentrated source of milkfat (80%) with some water and nonfat milk solids. It is made from milk, cream or both.
    100 calories per tablespoon. 12 grams fat, 7 grams saturated fat, 3 grams monounsaturated fat. 31mg cholesterol, 82 mg sodium.

OLIVE OIL
    Olive oil is a natural juice which preserves the taste, aroma, vitamins and properties of the olive fruit. Olive oil is the only vegetable oil that can be consumed as it is - freshly pressed from the fruit. Choose extra virgin olive oil for the most health benefits-its processing is minimal and maintains the most nutritional elements such as vitamin E and phenols.
    120 calories per tablespoon. 14 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fats, 12 grams healthy fats, 0 mg cholesterol, 0 mg sodium.

SUPER FOOD: OLIVE OIL
    Olive oil is high in monounsaturated fats and antioxidants.
    Studies have shown that EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) assists in raising HDL (good) cholesterol levels, and reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. Olive oil is the healthiest oil available.

A less discussed benefit of olive oil, is its positive effects on the lining of the stomach. Olive oil's protective function has a beneficial effect on ulcers and gastritis. Olive oil activates the secretion of bile and pancreatic hormones Naturally, and thus it lowers the incidence of gallstone formation.

Myth: Olive Oil Is a Healthier Option than Butter

Fact: This statement is true. Olive oil contains only 33% saturated fat while butter is composed of 66% saturated fat. Olive oil has no cholesterol, while a serving of butter has 33mg of cholesterol.

Myth: All Oils Are Fattening, Including Olive Oil

Fact: Extra virgin olive oil contains some of the highest amounts of monounsaturated fats compared to other oils. These fats actually help lower a person’s total cholesterol level and LDL cholesterol level, or bad cholesterol. When used in moderation, olive oil provides more health benefits than negative health issues.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I'm not quite sure what your point is. Someone stated that butter has less calories than olive oil. I said that was true but that olive oil is healthier than butter. Whether or not someone consumes butter, olive oil and other fats wasn't what I was addressing. I use both butter and olive oil however if I were forced to choose between the two I'd choose olive oil.

And for what it's worth:

BUTTER
    Butter is a concentrated source of milkfat (80%) with some water and nonfat milk solids. It is made from milk, cream or both.
    100 calories per tablespoon. 12 grams fat, 7 grams saturated fat, 3 grams monounsaturated fat. 31mg cholesterol, 82 mg sodium.

OLIVE OIL
    Olive oil is a natural juice which preserves the taste, aroma, vitamins and properties of the olive fruit. Olive oil is the only vegetable oil that can be consumed as it is - freshly pressed from the fruit. Choose extra virgin olive oil for the most health benefits-its processing is minimal and maintains the most nutritional elements such as vitamin E and phenols.
    120 calories per tablespoon. 14 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fats, 12 grams healthy fats, 0 mg cholesterol, 0 mg sodium.

SUPER FOOD: OLIVE OIL
    Olive oil is high in monounsaturated fats and antioxidants.
    Studies have shown that EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) assists in raising HDL (good) cholesterol levels, and reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. Olive oil is the healthiest oil available.

A less discussed benefit of olive oil, is its positive effects on the lining of the stomach. Olive oil's protective function has a beneficial effect on ulcers and gastritis. Olive oil activates the secretion of bile and pancreatic hormones Naturally, and thus it lowers the incidence of gallstone formation.

Myth: Olive Oil Is a Healthier Option than Butter

Fact: This statement is true. Olive oil contains only 33% saturated fat while butter is composed of 66% saturated fat. Olive oil has no cholesterol, while a serving of butter has 33mg of cholesterol.

Myth: All Oils Are Fattening, Including Olive Oil

Fact: Extra virgin olive oil contains some of the highest amounts of monounsaturated fats compared to other oils. These fats actually help lower a person’s total cholesterol level and LDL cholesterol level, or bad cholesterol. When used in moderation, olive oil provides more health benefits than negative health issues.

Maybe just different.

The 8 Health Benefits of Butter

1. Butter is an excellent source of Vitamins. One of the many beneficial vitamins we get from butter is Vitamin A, which has a wide range of function for our bodies. Vitamin A is needed to maintain good vision. It also keeps our endocrine system functioning well. Aside from Vitamin A, butter also has other fat-soluble vitamins such as Vitamin D, E and K.

2. A great source for minerals. Trace minerals are found in butter such as manganese, chromium, zinc, copper and selenium, which is incidentally, a powerful antioxidant. Butter contains more selenium per gram compared to herring or wheat germ. What’s more, butter is also a great source of iodine.
    3. Contains healthy fatty acids. You can get your dose of short and medium-chain fatty acids from butter, which are great for supporting your immune system and boosting metabolism. It even has anti-microbial properties- excellent for fighting pathogenic microorganisms that live inside the intestinal tract.
    4. Perfect balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fats. The arachidonic acid found in butter helps with brain function, skin health and prostaglandin balance.

5. Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA). If your butter is sourced from cows that feed on green grass, it can contain high levels of CLA. This is a compound that can help provide protection against different types of cancer, and helps the body store muscle instead of fat.

6. Butter also has Glycospingolipids. These are fatty acids that have a specific function to protect the stomach from gastrotestinal infections.

7. An excellent source of good cholesterol- which I’ve posted before about why your body needs cholesterol. Basically, Cholesterol is needed for healthy cellular function. It also plays a part in brain and nervous system development.

8. Lastly, butter contains the Wulzen Factor- This is a hormone like substance with many functions. It can prevent stiffness in the joints, as well as arthritis. It is also responsible for ensuring that calcium is deposited in the bones rather than in the joints. Note that the Wulzen factor can only be found in raw butter and cream

http://www.draxe.com/top-8-health-benefits-of-butter/
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I fit it in to my calorie goals. I will not substitute chemicals for something natural. When I compare the ingredient list on butter compared with margarine, it's a no-brainer.

I also use olive oil, canola oil, etc. depending on what I'm eating.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I just make sure it's soft so I can use less but still coat the surface of whatever it is that needs a delicious buttery taste.
  • TheRealMarsupial12
    Options
    PlugraSalted8oz.jpg

Carry on...

Hm. That's a first. Then don't eat it.

Thanks for the advice!
  • hopefulat50
    hopefulat50 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't trust butter substitues - I use the real thing but very carefully!:drinker:
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I fit it in to my calorie goals. I will not substitute chemicals for something natural. When I compare the ingredient list on butter compared with margarine, it's a no-brainer.

I also use olive oil, canola oil, etc. depending on what I'm eating.

Everything is chemicals.

What do people mean when they say "I don't like chemicals in my food"?

I might be splitting hairs over language here but seriously, what are people saying when they say the word 'chemicals' these days? Do they believe that the 'chemicals' in margarine are the same 'chemicals' that are in floor cleaner or something?