I would love if we could share our journeys ..

Options
Hello everyone,

I've been overweight most of my married life, but now I am so obese, I can barely walk. My knees are extremely painful because they can't support my weight. Add to this, I developed Type 2 Diabetes. I tried to get Bariatric surgery 10 years ago, but my insurance would not cover it. I decided to try again. I just got the phone call today that I have been approved by my new insurance company. WooHoo!!!

In the meantime I started on the MyFitnessPal diet, five weeks ago. So far I have lost 19 pounds and I am so proud and happy. I have kept my diary faithfully and this plan really works. I cannot thank the developers enough for this wonderful program. My next appointment is with the Bariatric surgeon in about 3 weeks. At that time he will schedule my surgery. I have no idea what his schedule looks like, so it may be fairly soon, or months away. In the meantime, I want to peel off as many pounds with this program as I can .. which will really put me in better condition for the upcoming surgery.

I have to tell you, when I got the phone call this morning that I had been approved .. I got chicken. All of a sudden it got REAL!!!! It didn't last long .. but I admit that instant of fear, came as a surprise. When I told my husband I had been approved he was so happy and excited for me.

Let me tell you something that is really meaningful and important to me. My husband has been so supportive of me through all of this. He encourages me every chance he gets and he always has something positive to say to me. I am so lucky to have this support system and I truly love that man. We have been married for 51 years and have 3 children, and 8 grandchildren.

My only regret is that I couldn't get this done 10 years ago .. before my knees went out. I went into see a knee surgeon in Nov. to see about having knee replacement surgery done. After the exam and Xrays were done .. he said I certainly needed it. But he also told me I had to lose weight first. I am entirely too obese to do it now. He suggested Bariatric surgery and that's really what started all of this. I have a lot of hope for success with this diet plan and later with the surgery.

This old grandma from Omaha would like to find some friends here so we can share our journeys . . and I wholeheartedly want to wish all of you great success on yours.

Sincerely,
OmahaRocks

P.S. My nickname comes from the fact that my husband and I love to collect rocks and its a hobby we share with our Grandchildren. I've managed to get all eight of them interested in rocks. We took our 10 year old grandson down along the Missouri river to the loose limestone beds we discovered. This whole area was an ocean at one time, so we find lots of fossils, shells etc. My sweet grandson found a sharks tooth and you would have thought he found a gold nugget. hehe

Replies

• THenry8
    THenry8 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I heard about your story and it is really moving. I was on the same situation you are in now. I had high blood pressure, obstructive sleep apnea, obesity, I even almost had Type 2 Diabetes, but I was pre diabetic. I could barely move my knees and I was morbidly obese throughout my college years. I knew I had to get the surgery and I am so glad that I did. I had the Gastric Sleeve Surgery on June 3, 2013, so I am almost eight months post-op. I weighed almost 430 pounds. Now, I have lost over 150 pounds and I am now down to 260 pounds. I am doing very well and I am doing my best to try to keep my weight low. I have become even more healthier and stronger to change my life around and I can do so much things that I was not able to do when I was 430 pounds.

Everyone believes in you. Your husband and your family. You can do it. I believe you can become strong in your own special way. My name is Tanisha and I would be honored to be one of your friends. Because having more friends will make your weight loss journey much more easier and you will have more support. I hope and I wish you the much success in your future surgery.
  • MrsDRichards
    MrsDRichards Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello... I just wanted to say good job on then weight loss!! :). And congrats on the up coming surgery.. I hear it works well..... I would lovento do the fitness journey with you!! I can't always make it online but I try to get on at least every couple days.... I have two babies my oldest is a jealous almost 22 month old and new babe of just about 6 weeks.....I'm tired of procrastinating... I lost 35lbs in 2011 that was the most I have ever lost but didn't have time. Enjoy not as I got pregnant..... In was half way to my goal... Now that my child bearing career is over I am ready for this challenge and ready to enjoy my new body at the end of it all. :-) and be able to teach my children how to be healthy.....
  • OmahaRocks
    OmahaRocks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Tanisha,
    My goodness what an inspiration you are. Going from 430# to 260# .. sounds like absolute heaven to me. You've done such a great job.. I'm really proud of you.

I am going to get the lapband surgery as with my age and Diabetes it is the safest for me. It's really nice to hear such a success story. Gives me a whole lot of hope.

Thanks for being my friend. I'll keep you informed on my progress.

OmahaRocks
  • OmahaRocks
    OmahaRocks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    MrsD
    Sounds like you are one very busy and determined lady. Having babies can really sabotage your weight loss plans but now that you are finished with that part of your life you can move forward with the weight loss again.

I know you are very busy with a young family to care for .. but shoot me a "hello" when you can .. and we will share our dieting "war stories". hehe