Anyone else getting nervous about Thanksgiving?

Options
I've been doing pretty good with losing weight and have been on track with everything (with the occassional cheats) but I'm getting really nervous about Thanksgiving! I want to be able to enjoy all of the yummy food but I am also afraid I am going to gain a few pounds back and ruin my hard work :-\ Anyone else feel this way? Or am I being paranoid?

Replies

• ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You are in good company.
  • krasay
    krasay Posts: 23
    Options
    Just remember a taste goes a long way. Instead of getting that large spoon full, use a teaspoon to serve yourself. Also use a small plate. Not that huge dinner plate.

Good luck
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My plan is: work out all week and eat sensibly, then enjoy the day.
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have been using a small dinner plate (or one of my kids' plates) for every meal and it has helped a lot with portion control. I'm going to do the same thing with Thanksgiving!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Nope... not at all. My metabolism is kickin'.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    1 meal isn't going to sabotage your progress! Don't stress!

Enjoy the meal, eat your favorite dishes, utilize some portion control and 1 slice of pie or dessert. Drink lots of water all day! Get back on track on Friday!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Meh, the way I am looking at it is either, I enjoy my success, enjoy the date, enjoy the family, friends, food, and wine, and pick things back up monday.

to me, enjoying the holidays is worth it.
  • rymattsmom
    rymattsmom Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    the one good thing about thanksgiving is all the veggies! you can indulge with all of that without feeling a lot of guilt! and make a veggie tray or shrimp cocktail to bring, that way it will benefit you and be appreciated by your guests! theres ways to do it, don't be too hard on yourself, little baby steps help. for example, drink lots of water while preparing in the am, maybe get some exercise in, and do one thing different from last yr, for instance, instead of having 2 pieces of pie, have one! remember, baby steps! good luck!
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Totally with you. In fact I was getting so overly worked up and worried about my family's Thanksgiving (which was actually yesterday) that instead I chose to make the drive up there Saturday morning, spend all day with my Mom and Grandma walking through the small downtown and antique shopping, having a slim lunch at a small restaurant and then coming back home. I didn't go to the family Thanksgiving at all strictly out of fear of the food.

My husbands family has their Thanksgiving on the actual Thanksgiving day but we live just a few miles from them and they are completely aware and very encouraging of my weight loss and therefore always ensure they have an alternate meal ready just for me :) so no worries there!

It was a little sad to miss the family Thanksgiving but I only really go to see my Mom and Gma and since I got to see them Saturday it really made up for it and made for a good day with lots of walking and carrying my 30 lb 2y/o son all day long!
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    No nervousness here. My plan is to workout every day this week, including Turkey day..AND Black Friday after an early morning shopping trip!:wink: No rest day until Monday! I, personally, don't stress about Holidays. I don't count calories either...It's ONE day.
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    YES! I am a bit worried, but I'm looking forward to a very busy week, and exercise everyday, even if it is just for 10 minutes. I know food won't be in every room of the house, so those are the rooms I intend to stay in once I have eaten the dinner. Chatting with loved ones in other rooms will keep me from thinking about that pumpkin cheesecake strudal in the kitchen.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Why does "enjoying the Holidays" have to include food? That's what I ask myself. If I'm there to connect with family and friends, why should food be such a big part of that??? I'm going to eat IF I'm hungry, drink WHEN I'm thirsty and enjoy the company of others.
  • jamieharris1
    jamieharris1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Take a long walk or run and enjoy!

1571907.png
  • tina8884
    Options
    Thanks guys. Glad to see some encouragement and know I am not alone! I think I'm just freaking more because it's going to be at my house this year and I'll be stuck with all the leftovers. I need my family to take all the desserts back home with them lol. I know turkey and veggies aren't bad, so I don't mind them being in the fridge but the rest.. I might be tempted
  • peacegirl3
    Options
    I have to admit, I'm a little nervous too. I am big on pre-planning the day so I end up still in my calorie range. My plan is to decide what I can 't go without traditional Thanksgiving foods are and plan my portions of each. This way I can have all of the tastes I want and not feel like I am giving up the fun foods. I like to plan before and be ready. It seems that when I don't plan and feel like I am doing a good job then after I've already eaten, I find out I ate way too many calories.
  • tvanharp
    Options
    I'll just save all 1500 available calories for one meal. it's only once per year
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    im feeling the same way. starting a week away i was so worried about the whole day that i've kinda ignored w hat i could be doing now to make up for my cheat day...like i've given up on the whole week just because i know what's waiting for me on thursday. its a shame!
  • DeanaMarshall
    DeanaMarshall Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My facebook status the other day was "what kind of idiot tries to lose weight during the holidays!" Of course, I was referring to myself and my concern with all the challenges.

I used to be worried about Thanksgiving, but since we are not going to my mom's (the best cook in the workd) I am not too worried! Here's an idea: Turkey Trot. I am not sure what kind of exercise you do, but there are about a million 5k's on Thanksgiving day. It's a great way to burn calories and start the day in deficit and guilt free. It's also a great way to boost your metabolism for the day.

One day won't ruin everything. Have SMALL portions of everything and stop when you're full. And remember the reason for the day- be thankful and greatful for what you've got and who is in your life. Focus on that and not the food. Best of luck, hope this helps!
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I am trying to be positive. It is OK to go over my calorie limit occasionally. At 69, I finally realize that I haven't completely blown it. I can keep going by getting back to my routine the next day. Maybe I can burn a few extra calories Thanksgiving day by going for a walk after the heavy dinner. Have some pumpkin pie, but make it a smaller piece. I try to think less about what I can't do, and think more about what I can do. Think about what you feel about yourself since you have lost some weight. I feel that I look better. I am enjoying the pile of too large clothes that is growing in my closet. I have more energy. I procrastinate less because I am less fatigued.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Not in the least. I never really got the whole holidays thing. I mean we are talking 2, maybe 3 days tops of those "special" meals. Throw in an office party and you are talking about 4 circumstances in 5 weeks that you might go off your diet a little. That's hardly going to affect your weight loss and why not just consider those your cheat days? It takes an additional 3500 calories in a week to gain one pound, is anyone really going to eat that much more on top of what they eat now?

All the crap that shows up around the office is another matter, but I go around to a lot of offices during the course of a week and their is always donuts or something laying around so I've become pretty adept at dodging those anyway.