• frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    In for clownfish.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'll go with 4. I'm romantic like that. :wink:

Also after the elephant nose fish, the sharks, and the rays (which weren't on the list) the cichlid was my favorite fish at the aquarium where I used to work.

I'm going with #4 also for me because it's already worked out great.

Robert Sapolsky studied the social behavior of wild baboons and focused on the effects of stress. And he had some interesting results of alpha and beta males. When illness struck, it was the alpha males that all died out. And then he observed also how peaceful and less nasty the social environment was when it was a society of females and beta males.

I've only recently heard of people actually applying this to humans, from reading the mfp forums. So, if I gather this correctly. Alpha males are narcissistic and bad in bed because they are selfish lovers. Alpha males don't like beta males because beta males get all the ladies. Beta males are more intelligent and better lovers. The only people that think, care, or talk about this are men that consider themselves to be alpha males.

Here is a link: http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pbio.0020106

I debated turning this post in to a small dissertation on REAL concepts in reproductive behavior, but decided this would be more fun. It just cracks me up how completely WRONG the interpretation of the alpha male/beta male roles are when it comes to what some of these guys like to spout off about.

ETA: It also drives me nuts that they can't seem to understand that Alphas and Betas exist because they're BOTH reproductively successful strategies. Which strategy is "more" successful depends entirely on the environment and culture present at the time, both of which can and will change.

This is fascinating.

A movie critic once said that when the US has a strong "alpha male" president the movies released idealize a more caring, sensitive (think Alan Alda) type president but when the US president is seen as a more sensitive, caring president, the movies present a stronger alpha president (like Harrison Ford) who kicks butt and takes names.

Having said that, I'm a 2. "Hit it and quit it" without the responsibility sounds entrancing. :blushing:
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    You sound like you are suffering from a bad case of betablues... R U OK? :cry:

I don't really like the alpha/beta thing... But this post, and the choices within, sound fishy. E.g. #3: "you can feel good about yourself knowing that the male seahorse got to choose YOU as the most attractive mate" + "the larger and more physically aggressive females will then display and fight amongst themselves to establish who is the biggest and baddest winning the honor of getting to mate with the available male" = ?

ATM I think I subscribe to the "pure relationship" theory by Anthony Giddens... It's a social relation which is internally referential, that is, depends fundamentally on satisfactions or rewards generic to that relation itself. It involves both parties "enjoying each other's unique qualities and sustaining trust through mutual disclosure". Maybe if you are upset and/or annoyed at the alpha/beta stuff, it's worth looking into...?
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    For a long long time I would have gone with #1 (obviously reversing the roles here)

But I too recently became a giant sap and would have to say #4...... unless you are the person it would be with, in which case you should assume that I am still leaning towards #1 and you need to work your *kitten* off to lock me down ;)

Also... I get the basic idea of Alpha/Beta and all... but is there a Brah Wiki or Codex somewhere? I'm looking for the cliff notes version of Brahology... what it takes to achieve Brahhood... you know without actually diving into the black hole that is the BB.com forums (though I'll probably do that too when I work up the courage).
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Option #5: The Arctic Grayling for me.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I like making guppy faces. Very nice OP.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    IN for day two of collecting votes on this all important issue. I see some fringe males trying to sneak their votes in :angry: Will be monitoring closely to ensure no voter fraud occurs!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    For a long long time I would have gone with #1 (obviously reversing the roles here)

But I too recently became a giant sap and would have to say #4...... unless you are the person it would be with, in which case you should assume that I am still leaning towards #1 and you need to work your *kitten* off to lock me down ;)

Also... I get the basic idea of Alpha/Beta and all... but is there a Brah Wiki or Codex somewhere? I'm looking for the cliff notes version of Brahology... what it takes to achieve Brahhood... you know without actually diving into the black hole that is the BB.com forums (though I'll probably do that too when I work up the courage).

I think BinaryPulsar did an excellent job of summarizing the Brah mentality:
    I've only recently heard of people actually applying this to humans, from reading the mfp forums. So, if I gather this correctly. Alpha males are narcissistic and bad in bed because they are selfish lovers. Alpha males don't like beta males because beta males get all the ladies. Beta males are more intelligent and better lovers. The only people that think, care, or talk about this are men that consider themselves to be alpha males.

Or just read any of a previously mention "nut's" threads, he's got the brah thing down!
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't know you, but I think I love you. This is brilliant.

And I'll go for 4 :smile:

This as well. And you are freaking BRILLIANT!!!
  • sheenarama
    Options
    Wait... what does this mean for Nemo? Where were his other dads?

09235.gif
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    1 clownfish!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,617 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I guess I'd want to be an anglerfish
    AnglerFish.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

:devil: Ohhhh the fun I have explaining this to my students :devil:

When Coral charges off and gets eaten by the Barracuda, Marlin sex changes to Marla, and Nemo gets to be the new subordinate male in the harem :laugh:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    AnglerFish.jpg

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

No deadbeat parasitic dads! And I'm far to pretty to be a female angler fish.
  • sheenarama
    Options

When Coral charges off and gets eaten by the Barracuda, Marlin sex changes to Marla, and Nemo gets to be the new subordinate male in the harem :laugh:

SWEET!!! I wanna see this as a new Disney movie!!!!:drinker:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

SWEET!!! I wanna see this as a new Disney movie!!!!:drinker:

I know, right! Way more entertaining.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    AnglerFish.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

Horysheeee that is scary looking. Just being the (admittedly spare) testicles on that thing would be the manliest thing I've ever done.

And that's what happens when ladies lift heavy things. Ladies, don't become an angler fish. :wink:

edit: and I'm off to remove the scary music and voices from my head after seeing that.
  • amayitux
    amayitux Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'd be a 3, but no fighting, I love to share good lovers :)
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    AnglerFish.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

Horysheeee that is scary looking. Just being the (admittedly spare) testicles on that thing would be the manliest thing I've ever done.

And that's what happens when ladies lift heavy things. Ladies, don't become an angler fish. :wink:

edit: and I'm off to remove the scary music and voices from my head after seeing that.

As a male in this species, your options would be mate or die. I guess with those rules the female doesn't need to worry too much about appearance :laugh:

ETA: Also, that little flashlight at the end of her lure HARDLY provides enough proper light for applying makeup! Quit being mean!