Is my heart rate too high during cardio?

Options
13»

Replies

• danapenguin
    Options
    i have been wondering the same too. mine can get up to 200 bpm sometimes
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    The only way to calculate zones for sure, is to have your maximum heart rate tested (not a pleasant experience I am told). I know that for myself, 220 - my age is not accurate. I wear a heart rate monitor because I like to see where I am when I'm running, but go mostly by feel. I can tell if I am running at a comfortable pace, and I think that is really the most important thing. For races, I also ran by feel, but also confirmed where I was by my HRM so I wouldn't go red and flame out.

Also, the younger you are, the higher your maximum rate is. What you are describing sounds to me like higher your aerobic zone. You should be fine.

Yep basically this. The numbers you get from the calculation are THEORETICAL only. Your head won't explode if you go above your theoretical max because it obviously isn't your actual max heart rate. Base your training on feel if you don't have a HRM. Your max effort is exactly that - working as hard as you can. Ignore the "zones" info, it's basically a myth. The percentage of calories burned from fat changes in the different zones but the best workout for fat loss will still be the one that burns the most calories total. Target your training to a specific heart rate - aerobic, anerobic - if you are aiming for particular fitness benefits.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a HRM that I've been using during cardio. I do 30 minutes on the Elliptical 3x a week.

While on the Elliptical, my heart rate generally falls between 150-170. Mostly around 160-165 bpm. I'm definitely sweating and exerting myself during the high points.

Using a target heart rate calculator, it said I should be only going as high as 156 bpm (80% of a maximum heart beat of 195).

Is it harmful to let my heart beat raise higher than 156? Will I get a more 'effective' workout if I stay below 156?

Thanks guys!

The actual formula for calculating hear rate is called the Karnoven formula and does not just take into account the maximum heart rate but also the resting heart rate. But like I said, you can workout higher than your target heart rate, you just won't have to work out as long. If you work out at your target heart rate or lower, you will have to work out longer.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny On Obesity Group
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I actually asked my doctor about this at one of my yearly exams. He brought in an exercise physiology person and they both explained that as long as my heart rate drops back to where it should be in a reasonable amount of time during cool down then I'm good to go. They only worry about your heart rate going too high if it stays high when your cooling down. :). Hope this helps!

Edit: And of course if pain, numbness, and all that jazz is a issue...
  • dalguard
    Options
    Learn to listen to your body, not a machine.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If youre concerned maybe talk to your doctor about doing a stress test. Do you have any indication that you are causing undo stress to your heart such as light headedness, dizziness, feeling very breathless (unusually), nausea, chest or arm pain?

But for sure share the results with your doctor.
    i have been wondering the same too. mine can get up to 200 bpm sometimes

Yeah, I don't know much about it, but I never knew I had any kind of problem until I felt oddly sweaty and kind of dizzy and tired and checked my heart rate when I exercised. It was 200+. My doctor put me on beta blockers for my heart rate, because it got high other times, too. He did tests for thyroid, etc. With me, it's just related to a connective tissue disorder I have.

I'd definitely check heart rate and ask your doctor if it's high. You won't know you have any circulatory problem until symptoms arise, I don't think!

(More recently, my tiredness during exercise was low hemoglobin, lol! That needed treatment and tests, too. So basically, do ask a doc if there are exercise-related symptoms you wonder about :) ).
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    If you're concerned talk to your doctor. I'm 41 and use my HRM only to track calories burned. When I load it I'll see I'll have spent 20-30 minutes above 180, which should be my max HR. So after a couple weeks of doing that I checked with my doctor, because while I felt fine working out at the rate, I was concerned like you sound to be. She told me I was fine because don't have any heart problems, I have low cholesteral and low blood pressure. So at the end of the day it's how you feel and what your doctor recommends. Best wishes to you!
  • WinnershCyclist
    Options
    I have a weird issue I am 54 my recommended range is about 100 to 166 max till a few months ago I would XBike, TRX, Circuit to a max of 188. I then had an ECG done and was found to be fine since then my heart rate has risen to max 220.

I am able to talk and dont feel tired may bonk after some time on a exercise but now am worried is there something wrong .

I weighed 183 5 years ago when unhealthy I weigh 183lbs now,Am fitting into 2 sizes less and cant work out whether my slow improvement is due to getting older or just underlying health issues. I train 4-6 times a week with weights, cardio, anaerobic swimming cycling, Kettlebells. I could do step ups no problem now after 30 secs I bonk.

I am not trying to lose weight just trying to get fitter. I notice how weak I am considering I have been doing this for so many years my food intake is monitored and I eat only whats recommended with protein shakes to compliment as I just have a very low calorie diet
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a HRM that I've been using during cardio. I do 30 minutes on the Elliptical 3x a week.

While on the Elliptical, my heart rate generally falls between 150-170. Mostly around 160-165 bpm. I'm definitely sweating and exerting myself during the high points.

Using a target heart rate calculator, it said I should be only going as high as 156 bpm (80% of a maximum heart beat of 195).

Is it harmful to let my heart beat raise higher than 156? Will I get a more 'effective' workout if I stay below 156?

Thanks guys!

Assuming there are no medical conditions. The answer is no it is not harmful. Target heart rate is a myth. If you workout out at a lower rate, you will just have to workout longer. If you go on for 30 minutes, it may take a while to get into that zone though. Make sure you do weight lifting first. That way you will be working on glycogen stores and go right into fat burning. Also, consider a Russian kettle bell. You can your heart rate into your target zone in 1 or 2 minutes!!!!!!
  • bahamia
    Options
    I do like your posting and agree with your conclusions.
    Thanks,
    Luis
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    The body has two sources of energy: stored energy (ie. fat) and not stored energy (ie. sugar). If you're working out at a really high intensity, your body goes, "hey! no time to convert that stored energy to stuff I can use, give me some energy now!" In reality, you're always burning fat and sugar/carbohydrates, but the degree to which varies.

At really high intensity, someone is more likely to burn a ratio of say, 80% sugars and 20% stored energy (fat) because the body needs energy quickly.

Conversely, at a lower intensity, the body will burn a higher ratio of the stored energy (again, fat) than the energy that is easy to get ahold of (sugars). That's why high intensity doesn't exactly=better for fat loss. But, hey, any exercise is exercise, whether it's burning off that bagel you ate this morning or last Tuesday ;)

Ok so... what happens to the "not stored energy" when you don't use it all up during the day? Does it just run away? No. If it did, then we wouldn't be overweight in the first place. It may be true that you burn a higher ratio of sugar/carbs to fat stores at high intensity, but its still a form of energy for your body (aka calorie). If you use up more sugars during your workout, then they don't convert to fat stores..If you use more fat stores during your workout, thesugars get converted to fat stores at the end of the day. Therefore, all that matters is that you burn more throughout the day than you consume.