How long Did it take to build up to 30 minutes on Eliptical

Options
I just got an eliptical for christmas and after fighting the flu bug I am working out on it but I feel like a weakling.. I am only up to doing 4 minutes before my body is completely screaming at me.

How long should I get myself to build up to 30 minutes? Any words of wisdom would greatly be appreciated.. I have never done hard core cardio... slow walking yes but not this.

Replies

• FattyFeast
    Options
    I've never managed 30 minutes on those machines because my feet go numb after about 10. But that is beside the point.

The answer is probably: it takes as long as it takes :P We all have different levels of fitness to start out with. Maybe change the settings so the resistance is down a bit? I think it's better to try and go for 30 minutes at a low setting and then crank up the settings as you get used to it in terms of achieving long term goals.

Also, take a look at the incline (if it's got an incline on it) and how much you're using your arms vs your legs to move. Changing the balance of those things can make a difference, especially because on those elliptical machines the incline really does hugely alter which muscle groups are involved. Make sure you're stretching beforehand as well. Limbering up makes activities easier.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    how long has it been since 'feeling better' from the flu - and your first time on the CT?

if its your first time on a CT in general, they take some getting used to due to the way your body works on them. but anything below ten mins should be fine for the first 3-4 times then add another 5 every time after that. its like anything. It gets easier the more you do it :)

but if your still fluish, your body is telling you to not start just yet.
  • woody7890
    Options
    It does take a while. I managed to push myself and i can now do about 45 minutes before i have to get off. The worst part is muscle ache in your shin, but once you get past that, it's really easy. And the rewards/calorie burn is fantastic!
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Does your machine have adjustable resistance? Yours is probably set too high if you can only manage 4 minutes.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    As kinmad4it said, can you adjust the resistance? If so adjust it down. I started out at about 15 minutes. I usually do an hour on it now with medium high resistance. I have been using it since November 2012.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    4 min isn't very long, if you are feeling well now you should be able to do longer