Cant stop eating junk food?

Options
2»

Replies

• tataylllor
    tataylllor Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Well, I like to encourage people to break their negative relationship with food as a way to help them lead a healthy lifestyle long term, but if you are really struggling, it may benefit you to avoid it completely, at least for a little while, then try to slowly reintroduce things in a controlled manner.

I believe that the "ideal" mindset with food it to see it as both a means of fueling your body and as a pleasurable experience.

Alright! Good idea.. That is a smart way to see it!! I think avoiding it for a while would be good for me.. Do you have any tips on how to avoid it or anything?? Im sorry I keep asking so many question, you are a great help!! c:

Just resolve yourself to not eating it for awhile. You can't really expect others to avoid it just because you chose to start eating better or avoiding certain things, so just try to keep it out of sight, out of mind for awhile.

Good point, I will try my hardest! Thanks again!! c:
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    For exercises in a tight/quiet place, I would try

1) wall sits - back against the wall with knees at 90 degree angle
    2) planks - the "up" part of a push up, hands directly under shoulders, arms straight, either on your knees or toes
    3) boat - this is a common yoga pose, butt on the ground, feet off the ground, calves parallel to the ground, back completely off the ground (like you're in between lying down and sitting up), arms sticking out straight by your legs parallel to the ground.

Hold each pose for as long as you can. Then next time, try to break your record. It's not as easy as it sounds. :)

Also, look for a yoga dvd or try the app called You Are Your Own Gym. No weights required for either.

They may not burn as many calories as running on a treadmill or lifting very heavy weights, but you will be doing something. If nothing else, it will distract you from snacking. It helps to keep busy.

Best of luck to you! :drinker:
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I am terrible at eating in moderation,,. Usually I end up going all out.. Is there any tips to help with this?
    Prelog your food. That way, your healthy choices have already been made.
    If you have "trigger" foods, don't keep them in large quantities at home.
    Buy snack size zipper bags & make your own 100-calorie packs of your favorite snacks.
    Use the MFP protein goal as a minimum—protein is filling.
    Don't set your calorie goal unreasonably high. Up to 25 lb. to lose = .5 lb. per week. 25–50 lb. = 1 lb. per week.
    If you're hungry at night, save some calories for a healthy after-dinner snack.

But most of all, once you stop thinking of food as "bad" and start eating portion-controlled treats within your calorie goal, you may not binge as much. Right now, you've created a horrible cycle of deprivation, binges, and guilt. Follow the 80/20 rule—it really works!
  • Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Decide beforehand what treat you want to eat, and then plan ahead for it. Get some exercise in, or eat lighter during the day to make room for it. I love junk food and always make an allowance for it.
    As for quiet exercises that don't need much room, you can do planks, squats, lunges, push ups, or crunches. If you're able to, invest in a set of dumbbells and look up some strength training exercises to do at home. Your idea of skipping rope in the basement is another good idea. Or maybe look up some exercise videos on youtube. There's lots of things that you can do!
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Anything helps
  • staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i think one of the issues is that you cut the food out of your lifestyle in the first place so once they were introduced back you went crazy with flavor like o snap i do love these foods and then you tend to over do it thats how i was anyways.

but once i put in my mind i dont have to restrict these foods from my life it became easier to enjoy a serving size or two which ever fit in my calorie goal for the day.

also i found that over time even with eating the foods most people restrict i dont crave them as much as i did when i was kicking them out of my life becaue i no longer see them as a "treat" or a "bad" food but just something else to eat if it fits my goals for the day.

just my experience
  • tataylllor
    Options
    Decide beforehand what treat you want to eat, and then plan ahead for it. Get some exercise in, or eat lighter during the day to make room for it. I love junk food and always make an allowance for it.
    As for quiet exercises that don't need much room, you can do planks, squats, lunges, push ups, or crunches. If you're able to, invest in a set of dumbbells and look up some strength training exercises to do at home. Your idea of skipping rope in the basement is another good idea. Or maybe look up some exercise videos on youtube. There's lots of things that you can do!

Thanks!! Blogilates is one of my favourite workouts so I will try to do it more often again!! c:
  • tataylllor
    Options
    I am terrible at eating in moderation,,. Usually I end up going all out.. Is there any tips to help with this?
    Prelog your food. That way, your healthy choices have already been made.
    If you have "trigger" foods, don't keep them in large quantities at home.
    Buy snack size zipper bags & make your own 100-calorie packs of your favorite snacks.
    Use the MFP protein goal as a minimum—protein is filling.
    Don't set your calorie goal unreasonably high. Up to 25 lb. to lose = .5 lb. per week. 25–50 lb. = 1 lb. per week.
    If you're hungry at night, save some calories for a healthy after-dinner snack.

But most of all, once you stop thinking of food as "bad" and start eating portion-controlled treats within your calorie goal, you may not binge as much. Right now, you've created a horrible cycle of deprivation, binges, and guilt. Follow the 80/20 rule—it really works!

Alright!! Thanks for all the tips!! c: Im trying prelogging today!!