Having unsupportive family sucks!

Options
Soooo my whole life my mom called me fat, even when I was thin (shes thin). anyways, she always tells me to lose weight blah blah and sooo I buy my healthy foods but she complains that I take up too much room in the fridge! I ate half of a dark chocolate bar and put the other half in the fridge...she got mad because I shouldn't be eating it and am ruining my diet! I used to eat full candy bars or whole boxes of cookies! I'm darn proud I ate half a dark chocolate bar and saved the rest for later! Someone ate my brothers nutella...my mom and step dad wont fess up and it must've been me cuz I'm the fat one...although I havent touched it! but I'm lying if I say I haven't. My little bro stuck up for me tho, he's super supportive and I'm lucky to have him. sorry, I needed to rant and I figured maybe there's others out there that can relate. its soooo frustrating! And honestly, my friends on mfp and the community here really do support me and its a huge help, especially when people around me arent as supportive. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• janica2333
    Options
    My opinion, ignore what she says! You've been doing so well from what I could tell. Sometimes you have to rely on an external support rather than your own family. I know that family usually know you the best, but for something like this, it's just not the case. And from what I've read, dark chocolate is a lot healthier for you than milk chocolate. And good for you saving it for later. It's great that you have such awesome support on this site!
  • Sweetredpoison
    Sweetredpoison Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of little comments here and there with my family as well. You just have to focus on yourself and try to keep the negativity away. Many MFP people I'm sure will agree that you can eat a little bit of chocolate and loose weight. Keep going strong!!!!
  • mgracev4
    mgracev4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yep, It sucks when family members never really do anything to make the load easier. =_=
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Chocolate tastes better at room temp anyway. Next time, put the 2nd half in your room.

Your mom sounds like a real piece of work!
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Exactly! its a struggle as it is, dont need family trying to make it harder! I def am not giving up, and staying focused on me and my goals. This kind of stuff just gets overwhelming at times, but it won't deter me
  • oywiththepoodlesalready
    Options
    I know the feels. My family is all overweight though so whenever I try to lose weight they always tell me I'm being stupid and don't support me. Then whenever I do mess up on my diet they give me such a hard time and tell me they knew it was just a phase and that I'm going to stay fat. It's really disheartening:( Add me and we can support each other, kay?
  • SeaTurtleJenni
    SeaTurtleJenni Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yes, I relate. If I want to accomplish something positive, I have to sneak it. They have a "kick her when she's down" philosophy and if they find my Achilles heel, they will shoot arrows at it. They are oppositional to everything. Total energy and time suckers. I have no real advice. The best I can do is keep my mouth shut and not share any goals or interests with them because that gives them a target to attack. Sorry you're dealing with so much negativity. I know it sucks.
  • morethanthis0
    Options
    The best I can do is keep my mouth shut and not share any goals or interests with them because that gives them a target to attack.

Yup, I try to do the same. it's just so strange to me how people in a family can do or say those things.
  • christopherphillips1983
    Options
    Just do like I did and move 2,100 miles away on short notice. That'll teach 'em.

In all seriousness, I don't even mention my diet or exercise regimens to family members who either won't care or will be judgmental about it. It's hard with family because you can't exactly pick them, unlike friends. I can tell you right now, I get a lot more support and encouragement from my friends than I do from my family, and that includes both my own blood relatives and my in-laws.
  • URGonnaHearMeRoar
    Options
    Dark chocolate is actually good for you, there is actually quite of few good health benefits to it. My dad doesn't like me dieting, he told me to go eat pizza and wings and order from KFC :| because I told him I lost 11lbs in one month and he thinks I'm dying from eating healthy and exercising.
  • morethanthis0
    Options
    haha wish I could move, it'd make things a bit easier. you're all right...i just gotta keep doing what I'm doing, don't talk about it, and succeed.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your parents.

Share your successes with your little brother. Sounds like he will be your supportive family member
  • MonicaA2013
    MonicaA2013 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear your family isn't so friendly about your goals. I have the opposite problem . Instead of tearing down my efforts they just don't acknowledge anything at all. Good OR Bad. UNLESS i put it in their face. HEY LOOK AT WHAT I DID then i will get feed back. I know that some may not care and some are just so wrapped up in their own lives that they lose site of what others around them may be doing. Then you have those who do notice when they see you and tell you just how great you are doing. If everyone is used to you being large and you show up small or the other way around they will have a reaction for you trust me. But don't be surprised with what they may say, or the looks you may get from them. All you can do is listen and thank them for their input and move on. My family is used to seeing me on the smaller side but we don't see each other often so they have a hard time remembering just how much i had changed over the years. My mother heard i had lost 15 lbs and figured i should be at my goal weight already. I STILL HAD ABOUT 40 TO GO !! Any way just keep doing what your doing as long as it works for you. Everyone else will come around or they wont but the only thing you need to worry about is you. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU !!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have to live with such toxicity. Pat yourself on the back for holding your own in a tough environment.

Is your privacy respected enough for you to safely keep a journal? Mine has been a lifesaver. It also helps me keep my mouth shut and keep my own counsel.

If the family fridge is a battleground, is having a mini-fridge a viable alternative? Are you able to lock your room?

Kudos to your brother for his support and his compassion. And Kudos to you for persevering.
  • sombrefawn
    sombrefawn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Family dynamics can be super complicated. From the short time I've known you here on MFP I can tell you're really an amazing person who has determination. Don't let the negativity coming from parents deter you from your goals! You definitely should eat that dark chocolate and savor it knowing that it's a healthier choice than most sweets.

I'm here in Toronto with just my partner carving a life of our own and no family within an 8hr drive... so I can't totally relate, but I do know that when I see my mom next she'll try to give me unsolicited advice on healthy living and boss me around as much as possible (I think that's an attempt to regain control of me as if I was a child). I just brush it off now and nod along... then do what I want anyway.
  • morethanthis0
    Options
    yea my room is mostly private but its not locked while I'm gone, but I workout and eat downstairs in the living room and we have two fridges! I use the one in the garage that rarely has anything in it anyways.

Thanks sombrefawn, its been really great having you as a friend on here =) family is complicated, its actually what I study in school haha family life and family education is my major! you're right...just need to brush off the negativity and keep on moving forward!

thank you everyone for support and advice. it helped put me back in good spirits!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    OMG - Families are the WORST!!! UGH - My mother would tell me I was fat when I wasn't - as soon as I hit puberty, I put on a little weight (seriously - maybe a LITTLE pudge, but not much at all), and all the sudden I was labeled "fat". She got on me for EVERYTHING I ate - from the pieces of dark chocolate to the salads (don't put on too much dressing!), to everything and anything. I got so tired of hearing it, that I started sneaking food, but then my brother and sister would hide in the cabinets, wait for me to go and try to sneak something and jump out of the cabinets to scare me.

Any money I made from babysitting went to buy junk food. My parent's couldn't figure out why I never had any money. DUH!

That's just the beginning of a LONG dramatic saga on how I got to gain lots of weight and never being able to handle the emotional stress of it all. Even after arguing with them endlessly that I'm the only one who can lose this weight, they can't lose it for me, and all their blathering about it doesn't help, and in fact, does more harm than good; and I'd tell them that if/when I chose to lose weight it was going to be my choice, and not because they badgered me into it.

That day did eventually come, but along with it came tools from doctors that I trusted on how to do it the right way. Seeing a therapist, seeing a nutritionist/dietician, being accountable via several avenues, and doing what they told me to do - then growing a "suit of armor" so that it didn't matter what they said, it wouldn't derail me. I could tell them - "That's not part of the master plan. I've set myself up for success, I'm listening to the right people and that ain't you."
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager, my step-father used to call me fat and when I was a little girl my mom would try to get me to go on diets with her. I understand how it hurts and I'm sorry you are going through that. I'm not sure your situation, but hopefully you'll be on your own soon! Try to tune out their negativity and continue to be proud of yourself!
  • angel_iys
    angel_iys Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sometimes family thinks they are being supportive when they are not. I have had issues with my family also trying to sabotage without realizing they are doing it. At my heaviest my mom hounded me about my weight and how fat I was. I finally confronted her and asked if she loved me less because I was fat. It made her step back and realize how hurtful her words were. She also told me that she thought I was beautiful and hat she did not want me to struggle all my adult life with weight as she did. I no longer tell anyone when I am dieting, instead I say I am trying to make healthier choices. You look as if you are doing amazing, and just a side note, dark chocolate is really good for you. The closer a food is to it's natural state the better it is for you! Keep you feet planted firmly on your journey,