ARE ALL DIETERS MESSED UP IN THE HEAD?

Options
13»

Replies

• staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think it's more of a "I'm bored, so I'll eat thing" or an "emotional eating" problem.

Personally, I'm a junk food junkie. Even if I'm not hungry and something sweet is around... I have to eat it. I bodybuild, have my diet in check, and know what I can and can't do and I still battle with sweets.

I've learned to incorporate a small fix or it by making a majority of my carbs junk food, and yes, I've lost weight AND built and continue to build muscle doing this so don't lecture me on "YOU NEED OATS AND SWEET POTATOES"... I call that mentality B.S.

agree :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    From one extreme to the other...

Try not going to extremes!

Getting away from the diet mindset was what actually fixed everything from me. About three years ago, I was approaching 40. I weighed 202 pounds and felt fat and frumpy. I'd done diets before and lost weight easily and quickly... but it always came back (and usually with a few extra pounds).

I decided that I didn't want to be 'Fat and 40'. So, I joined MFP and set it to a 250 calorie deficit (lose .5 pound a week). I continued to eat all the same foods I loved. I focused on adjusting my portion sizes and eating the highest calorie foods a little less often. I drink craft beer, eat pizza, burgers, cupcakes, cookies, ice cream, fries - just not in my old 'free-for-all' fashion. I started walking everywhere (meetings across campus, errands, the farthest-away restroom in my building, etc).

I lost 66 pounds really easily and have kept it off for almost two years now. It's been surprisingly simple and easy. Don't diet - don't label foods as good/bad - just commit to a moderate calorie cut, don't go over and stay active - everything else will take care of itself. At least it did for me. :smile: