Can you 'make' hips in the gym?

Options
124»

Replies

• bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    ^ Thank you!!

And to 90% of people posting going 'omg hip dip lol what an idiot why do you care' if you had READ half this thread before commenting you would've seen the sarcasm intended by the phrase. :flowerforyou:
    The question was about building muscle; apparently only a small degree of this is possible but thank you to the other 10% who were helpful!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    how in the ever living *kitten* do you people have time to worry about thigh gaps- bikini bridges and hip dips?

seriously?

I'm happy I have clothes on when I get to work and that I showered after my work out the day before.

GET A LIFE PEOPLE_ AND GET OVER THESE STUPID CATCH PHRASES TO DEFINE MEANINGLESS CHARACTERISTICS THAT CANNOT BE CHANGED BECAUSE IT"S BONE STRUCTURE.

Seriously- this baffles me.

Keep lifting- work on that. and move on.

I have a 'hip dip' (I have never heard the term before today) But I have had to deal with it for years, since it is waay more pronounced on one side. I have to be careful about what clothes I wear because it is noticeable only on the one side and it looks odd, totally not normal or natural.
    I have not sat and talked about nor obsessed about, but when I try on new clothes I am very aware of it.

Also the OP didn't know it was bone structure at the beginning, hell neither did I therefore didn't know it couldn't be changed.
    You are also generalizing a few persons concern over their body with the obsessive body issues other people have.

Guys also obsess and discuss normal stuff. I cant tell you how many conversions I have heard or been involved in with males and their hair.

Also now you have me curious what a bikini bridge is??

I've never seen guys obsess like the population is obsessing over thigh gaps. I mean they fuss- but I've never seen it to this level.

And discussing normal things- in a confined environment is different than all over the internet.

Bikini Bridge: Apparently it started on 4chan- when you lay down- and there is a gap under your underwear/binkini because your hip bones hold it up higher than the rest of your skin.

Shrug- I just don't understand the obsessive nation we have gotten into- that I think is what troubles me more.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ^ Thank you!!

And to 90% of people posting going 'omg hip dip lol what an idiot why do you care' if you had READ half this thread before commenting you would've seen the sarcasm intended by the phrase. :flowerforyou:
    The question was about building muscle; apparently only a small degree of this is possible but thank you to the other 10% who were helpful!

i just reread the OP... the sarcasm is very well hidden!
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    how in the ever living *kitten* do you people have time to worry about thigh gaps- bikini bridges and hip dips?

seriously?

I'm happy I have clothes on when I get to work and that I showered after my work out the day before.

GET A LIFE PEOPLE_ AND GET OVER THESE STUPID CATCH PHRASES TO DEFINE MEANINGLESS CHARACTERISTICS THAT CANNOT BE CHANGED BECAUSE IT"S BONE STRUCTURE.

Lol. Women are so weird. Like guys would sit around worrying about their hip dip. Lol.

I didn't care about mine until my ex boyfriend pointed it out and said it looked horrible.

Lol. Men are so weird. Like women like being put down and made to feel self conscious. Lol.
  • the_only_solution
    the_only_solution Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hip dip?

*sighs *

Never heard of it, and I'm 1000% certain that this is some made up nonsense that can easily be explained away by genetics or anatomy (oh look, it already has) but if this is going to turn into a picture thread, it has my full and complete support.

So IN for pictures of hip dip success! Multiple angles please do that we can better view your "progress"

LOL!
  • the_only_solution
    the_only_solution Posts: 46 Member
    Options

seriously?

Lol. Women are so weird. Like guys would sit around worrying about their hip dip. Lol.

I didn't care about mine until my ex boyfriend pointed it out and said it looked horrible.

Lol. Men are so weird. Like women like being put down and made to feel self conscious. Lol.

This makes me sad. Dump him.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend says my "hip dip" is one of his favorite parts of my body. Lol. I don't really concern myself with it. It wouldn't go away unless I got really fat, right?
  • anonniemouse
    anonniemouse Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m1lz49SpHQ1qeu3jjo1_r1_500.jpg
    What are hip dips and why you should stop caring about them. (Source: http://size10plz.tumblr.com)
    Lately on my dash I’ve been seeing posts about hip dips, and anonymous questions on how to prevent hip dips or how much they hate theirs.
    I just want to let you know that it’s normal. The celebrities or girls in your thinspo tags that you see that don’t have it either are wearing spanx, they’re photo shopped, or you just plain don’t see it.
    I have never met any one that didn’t have one. It’s part of our anatomy, and on some is more noticeable than others. It all depends on your body type, muscle, and fat distribution.
    Most children in north america have heard this song in pre-school and kinder garden, but for most it’s been a while so I thought I’d give you a refresher course.
    With the leg bone connected to the knee bone,
    and the knee bone connected to the thigh bone,
    and the thigh bone connected to the hip bone.
    tumblr_m1m0m8MIkd1qdhsxp.gif

That is exactly what a “hip dip” is. It’s because the femur attaches to the acetabulum which is made up of all three hip bones: the ilium, ischium, and pubis.
    You get a hip dip from being born with a skeleton.
    tumblr_m1m3ns6ssr1qdhsxp.gif
    Those celebrities/thinspo girls that you look up to and think, “oh I wish I didn’t have a hip dip. They are so lucky they don’t have one.” Hate to break it to ya (not really), but they have it too.
    tumblr_m1m3skQOtL1qdhsxp.png
    Hey look it’s Miley cyrus, Beyonce, and Kelly brook. They all have one!
    Oh wait, I have more! All in their unphotoshopped glory! :D
    tumblr_m1m50bCsyu1qdhsxp.png
    tumblr_m1m69yZLcx1qdhsxp.png
    tumblr_m1m50zTNn41qdhsxp.png
    tumblr_m1m521fpCw1qdhsxp.png
    Even ryan gosling has one.
    tumblr_m1m3wu2mIm1qdhsxp.png
    Everyone has one, but sometimes it’s not as noticeable. Men and women have it, but it’s more noticable on women because our hips are generally wider. Like I said earlier it’s really about fat, and muscle distribution. Some women have it more noticeable, some don’t, but it doesn’t mean it’s not there. I know I have it, and I have never met anyone who is like “ew your hip dip is so gross.”
    Remember the picture with Britney spears vs Photoshop? Even she has one.
    tumblr_m1m5eeuA9g1qdhsxp.jpg
    We have to Remember that we live in a world where spanx is readily available to smooth out our lumps and insecurities to common folk and celebrities alike. Along with photoshop to take away “imperfections” on celebrities so we can feel ****ty about ourselves. All while we read magazines or see adverts with conflicting messages like “you’re beautiful” and an advert for make up right or weight loss tips next to it.
    You’re in trouble when you want to stop looking human. Seriously guy and gals, everyone has one as long as you keep your skeleton.

:flowerforyou:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I thought the OP meant what was on the side of the pelvis, and that's where I mentioned the gluteus medius and ballerinas. Naturally the muscles of the legs may be bigger, and women can also have saddlebags.

But this is the muscle I meant (look at the curve/width that includes built-up muscles there):

1._Leg_Lengthener-477.jpg

IMG_3188.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg
  • posh2o2
    posh2o2 Posts: 3
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "You have to work on your gluteus minimus and medius muscles, as well as the tensor fasciae latae muscles. If you have access to a gym, these muscles are targeted on the Abductor Machine. You can also get an ankle strap connected to the cables and do side kicks (kicking your leg like a scissor to the side). You can also lay on your side on the floor and raise your upper leg while resting a dumbell on your hip or having an ankle weight on your ankle (but I suggest the other exercises because this one makes it more difficult to lift heavy weights). Well, here they are, I am going to do less talking and let you look at these websites: http://voices.yahoo.com/top-4-leg-abduct...tml?cat=5. What is CRUCIAL to remember is that you will need to lift HEAVY weights--as heavy as you can do while effectively (meaning with a full range of motion and with proper form) executing 8-12 reps. Try 3-4 sets with a minute long break in between each set. Do this no more than twice a week (since you will be doing it only twice a week, this should motivate you to workout that much harder when you are lifting!). This will allow for an adequate amount of recovery time for your muscles to grow. You will also need to increase your protein intake. If this is the only weight lifting you will plan on doing, I would take a little under the amount of grams of protein as the amount of pounds you weigh. I do a lot of weight lifting for my lower body and light weight lifting for my upper body, and I (when NOT on my break) consume AT LEAST 140 grams of protein a day in both my foods and protein shakes. While I am on my breaks, I consume about 100-120 grams of protein a day just for muscle maintenance." :)

upqp07d0cric.jpg

c0qfe7zq0p4b.png

• lrenaee
    lrenaee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think everybody has hip dips, it's just the way bodies are shaped. Actually, the skinnier I am the more pronounced my hip dip is! Since I've gained weight its become less noticeable. I remember when I was young and I first started getting my curves and hips, I was worried that my dip was caused by my low rise jeans, since that's exactly where they sat lol