Grave's Disease and Hyperthyroidism

Options
2»

Replies

• tonyaeburnett
    Options
    I am new to MFP. I was diagnosed with Graves in 2007 and had my thyroidectomy in 2008. I weighed 138 at the time of my diagnosis. I was getting ready to have a tummy tuck to remove the excess skin from having twins and toxemia with my pregnancy. Anyway, I would give anything to be "fat" at 138 right now!! I am almost as big as I was when I was preg with twins. I am on synthroid 150 one day and 175 the next. I am tired and have no motivation to do anything that I do not have to do. I work, come home, help kids with homework and crash. If I have to go somewhere, I make myself go and enjoy myself, but when I am home, I am sleepy and sluggish. The docs say that my levels are normal, but I feel like crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel ugly, fat and gross!! I went to a trainer and worked out like a crazy for 6 months. Considering that I need to lose like 60-70 pounds, I was not proud of the 10 that I lost 6 months from working out like crazy and eating 6 small meals a day consisting of 1200 calories a day. HELP...I am frustrated! Any suggestions????
  • renroc57
    renroc57 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there, have not read all messages in this thread fully but thought I would post my story. I don't have Graves but do have an underactive thyroid.... When we investigated I had more symptoms than I realised and the doc was pretty sure that my blood test would come back low... I had previously had 3 tests in the past 10 or so years which had all been borderline low. This time however the reading was low with the enzyme level high. Apparently this means they are trying to stimulate the thyroid but not having much luck.. ;-) My other symptoms were a very low pulse rate.... I'm not super fit but my resting pulse is 60... Splitting and flaking fingernails and dry skin (both of which I put down to changes after menopause) no weight loss despite diet and exercise... my fingers often puff up at night and become stiff. Waking me in pain during the nights.

I've been on 1200 for over 12 months now. In the first 4 months I easily lost 10kg. Since Feb however I have been eating the same healthy 1200 calories and still not dropping any more weight. Feeling frustrated I went to the doctor who sent me to a dietician. The dietician couldn't work out why I wasn't dropping weight. She suggested a couple of changes which I tried and acutally one... which was eat purely protein caused me to put on 2kg in 2 weeks. CHanged that to protein and vegs but no carbs.. Lost the 2kg I'd put on but not more... She ended up deciding it must be medical.... Back to the doc. Blood tests showed that my thyroid is not functioning properly. The enzymes are high but they are not being successful in stimulating the thyroid function which is low.... SO I am now on a very small dose of thyroid medication for 8 weeks to see if that helps.
    It is good to finally find out that it probably wasn't my diet and exercise plan that was not working.

Blood tests again in 6-8 weeks to see what is happening.
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for sharing! Tonya: Im not sure what to offer you because I am in a pickle too. :( I know its frustrating and whatnot. Have you thought about seeing a nutritionist to make sure you are eating the correct foods? And your medication might be the incorrect dose or you're experiencing side effects?

"Notify your physician if you experience any of the following symptoms: rapid or irregular heartbeat, chest pain, shortness of breath, leg cramps, headache, nervousness, irritability, sleeplessness, tremors, change in appetite, weight gain or loss, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive sweating, heat intolerance, fever, changes in menstrual periods, hives or skin rash, or any other unusual medical even"

If your abnormally tired and anything else, maybe just talk to the doctor to see if there is a different medication to try. I hope it gets better for you :(

Renroc: Welcome! Thank you for sharing. I wake up with a stiff back all the time but I cannot imagine my fingers. But I am glad that you had a dietician who recognized that diet wasn't the issue. I hope you can get everything figured out :) Keep us updated :)
  • taramaraa
    Options
    Hey Micqs,

I don't personally have Grave's Disease but I've looked after my mother-in-law for two years, since just after she was diagnosed. Her personal journey has included:
    - massive weight loss. She's been a small-ish size her whole life, but went down to a tiny 38kg at 158cm tall. She was hospitalized for her weight.
    - She struggles, daily, with fatigue and exhaustion. Getting out of bed is such a trouble.
    - Even with the fatigue, she struggles with severe insomnia. She cannot sleep or rest easily, at all. She has tried many different therapies for insomnia but to no avail.
    - She often has 'heat waves' or in normal terms, spikes a fever quite frequently. There are times when her fever means she overheats; has chills; feels extraordinarily clammy; uncontrollable sweat and flushing of her facial nerves.
    - She struggles with a lot of pain. I don't quite understand how it stems from the Graves' Disease, but she suffers a lot of muscle and bone aches.
    - Contrary to her high fevers, she also has cold times. She cannot maintain a regular body temperature and either sweats excessively or has uncontrollable chills and shakes.
    - Probably the biggest, and most intrusive symptom to her disease is the amount of doctor visits she's had to make. Last month she had her thyroid removed as medicine to maintain healthy T3 and T4 levels were ineffective. She's been doing a million times better since then, but that's definitely a last resort and surgeons and doctors will avoid that route unless necessary.
    - She has a lot of nausea and occasional vomiting/diarrhea episodes.
    - She also has heart palpitations which can occasionally be painful.

Graves' Disease is a harsh disease which is greatly underestimated by the general public.

I wish you best of luck, and hope that you find a brilliant endocrinologist who can really help you with your terrible disease.

God bless!
  • tonyaeburnett
    Options
    I did not realize leg cramps were a side affect of meds..I get them from time to time, and when I get them, I am not usually exerting myself tremendously..
    I have thought about going to a different doc. If I had joined this site when I got diagnosed, I would have definitely gotten a second opinion..

Thanks
  • nikkincs
    nikkincs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know this is a little bit old but I thought I would contribute. I was diagnosed Grave's in 2008. I was put on methimazole and quickly gained a lot of weight (about 35 pounds). I tried going off the med, checked my levels and they just barely went above normal so my endo recommended I go back on the methimazole. After taking it for 6 months I asked if I could try going off the medicine to see if I had gone in remission. At that point I stopped the medicine and stopped seeing my endo. My primary dr checked my levels for me regularly and they stayed stable for a long time. During this time I was eating healthy and exercising regularly, I lost 25 pounds of the weight I had gained. This August I noticed I started having the rapid heart rate, palpitations, and heat sensitivity. I went back to my old endo and he ripped me apart for not just going through with the radioactive iodine......so I found a new endo. She said there is no reason I can't just continue taking methimazole and not do the RAI. I have my uptake and scan scheduled for this Monday and Tuesday because she said I have nodules (something my old endo never mentioned or addressed?!) She doesn't think my diet and exercise could have any effect on my thryroid....but this is how most doctors feel unfortunately. I do want to go on the methimazole just to get my symptoms under control but I do intend to taper off of it after I feel I have made a decent effort of increasing my cruciferous vegetable intake, lowering stress (meditation and yoga!), and eating as anti - inflammatory as possible. I'll keep you posted!
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Nikkincs, thank you for your input! Please keep us updated on your progress. I was diagnosed with Graves' around November 2012... I'm currently taking methimazole and everything has stabilized in the normal range (I did come off meds for a week or so before the uptake scan and my levels shot up and I felt like crap, so I know I definitely need them at this point). I also have nodules, which have been biopsied (benign, thank God).

I'm lucky to have an endo that supports my decision to stay on methimazole and isn't pushing me to get RAI. He is also very much aware of the effects of diet and exercise on the thyroid, and I've just been cleared to exercise again (yay!). We also discussed making minor diet changes. He recommends against a complete diet overhaul, but suggests adding/eliminating one thing at a time so that we can figure which foods may make me feel better/worse.