Cardio Thats Easy on My Knee?

Options
Anyone know of any cardio workouts that take it easy on the knees? My left is feeling a little achey and I want to take it easy on it for a while. Trying to ice at night and avoid injury!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    walking and swimming are two of the greatest things you can do for low impact exercises.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    walking and swimming are two of the greatest things you can do for low impact exercises.

/end thread :drinker:
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    brandnewsnickerpuss Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I tried the rowing machine at my gym for the first time ever the other day and I found it very easy on the knees. Just a thought. :)
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, stationary bike.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Meh, walking is actually not all that low impact, especially if you're gait is altered due to knee pain.

Swimming and cycling are good options.

Also, do you strength train your legs (either free weights or machines)? Lots of knee symptoms stem from deconditioning of the soft tissues in and around the knee.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, stationary bike.

^^ perfect. also there is a new machine out that is called a cross runner I believe, its like a treadmill but low impact like and elliptical.
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a swimming pool, walk in the pool. Water aerobics is also an option and may be more fun if you have a good instructor than swimming laps.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Deep water aerobics was developed to help runners recover from knee injuries.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    There are lots, but also some that just use upper body. Boxing, hand cycles, rowing machines, and rope climbing machines (MARPO) to name a few.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • neesha1024
    neesha1024 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You might be able to find exercise videos on youtube or through your cable provider that are low impact. I think Leslie Sansone's 1 Mile Walk would be low impact.
  • Office_Angel
    Office_Angel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had to stop running for a bit because I have tendoitis in my knee and my lovely physio lady suggested I try the rowing machine. I was really missing my lunchtime cardio buzz (well 30 mins away from my desk) and this has totally made me smile.

It really is pretty gentle on the knee and burns a whole world of calories too :happy:
  • VictoriaDarleneGale
    Options
    Bump
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    I have had to stop running for a bit because I have tendoitis in my knee and my lovely physio lady suggested I try the rowing machine. I was really missing my lunchtime cardio buzz (well 30 mins away from my desk) and this has totally made me smile.

It really is pretty gentle on the knee and burns a whole world of calories too :happy:

Also good for strengthening the muscles to better keep those tendons in place, too. :wink:
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have avascular necrosis in both knees. Walking too much is painful but rowing, swimming and recumbent bike works well. I was in a wheelchair all summer, had stem cell surgery on both knees and then 12 weeks of crutches.
    I swim a lot of laps and I'm slowly increasing my time on the rowing machine. I walk 1.3 miles daily.