Why are the scales being an *** ??

Options
I started my healthy eating & exercise routine on the 20th of this month which of course is 10 days ago today. I have been doing 2-5k on the treadmill 5 nights a week and eating around 1200 calories a day. I'm 9 stone 5 and would like to lose a stone as I'm 5'5" so every pound I gain you see. Gotta love being short!! But the scales havn't gone down a slight bit!! Am I exercising too much? I'm getting really frustrated!!

Any help would be very much apprieciated. I've lost weight in the past but it seems impossible this time round.

Thanks x

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? What loss per week have you set MFP to? With only 14lb to lose you should be aiming for an absolute max of 1lb per week.

If you open up your diary, we can provide better help.
  • AFWXDUDE
    AFWXDUDE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Doing that much running, i wouldnt doubt youve added what youve lost back in muscle. Either that or you are over indulging on carbs or protein.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You really don't need to lose weight you are already a healthy BMI all losing a stone will do is put you to the bottom of a healthy range. My guess is the physical appearence and effects you,re after will be achieved by concerntrating more on your fitness . (not just the treadmill). There is really good advice here on the fitness boards I suggest you ask for advice there. Good luck
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    5'5" isn't short! It's above average height for the UK. Anyway, if you could let us know what you're eating, it would definitely help us to advise you. Also, it's only been 10 days!
  • kelsmcdowall
    Options
    Hi guys thanks for the replies. Thats my Diary now public, but I only started using it yesterday as a work colleague told me about it. fatdoob, I know it says that I'm in the healthy BMI section but I am only 5'5" so you see every ounce of fat on me and tbh I'm just not happy being this weight.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    hey if you have a healthy BMI but are unhappy with how you look you may have a too much body fat, maybe ditch the running and start adding weight and resistance exercises.
    Add me if you like, I'm 5 ft 6 and 133lbs, so am going through a similar thing.
  • MyIrishSpirit
    MyIrishSpirit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same issue. Since I started weight training I haven't lost a pound. I was getting really frustrated BUT you HAVE to remember that muscles weigh more than fat. So even if your weight doesn't drop you're probably toning. You should keep track of body fat % instead of just weight. I was getting MAD about it because last time I did this I lost weight a lot faster. I also didn't start weight training right away last time.
  • kelsmcdowall
    Options
    Hi Emiliy Thanks i've added you. I'm going to go and buy good scales today that measure body fat aswell this could be the problem!

MyIrishSpirit - Its very frustrating!! I'm going to buy good scales today which tell me my body fat so maybe thats where I'm going wrong!

Thanks for all your replies you've been very helpful :)
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Also, you may be able to eat more than 1200, I'm on 1750 and still losing weight currently.
    Work on building some muscle and try to eat like 100grams of protein

Because you are at a low weight already, creating a big deficit could do you more harm than good, and you may just end up burning muscle, thus becoming an an exact smaller version of yourself (but still with flab etc)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day, Is that enough calories to fuel you for your work outs?

Have you worked out your BMR & TDEE?

Maybe reduce how many lbs you lose a week, and bump up your calories for a few weeks to see if it moves

Drink more water?? Mix up your routine? Lower carbs??

These are just options?
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    @kelsmcdowall - I looked at your food diary and only see one entry so I can not assume you are eating this way everyday, but you need to make sure you are eating protein. Every cell in your body is made of protein, your body requires it. Its not just for bodybuilders. Also when you work out alot your body goes through internal oxidative stress which raises your cortisol levels (stress hormone). Do some reading about that. Cortisol will keep you fat unless you counterbalance it by meditation or other means of relieving stress. Do something fun - laugh!! That is a natural stress reliever :) I highly recommend Jillian Michael's book, Master Your Metabolism. You will learn a ton about your body!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    That's right, blame the scales..

Flippin' scales...
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to goal, the more slowly you lose. With such a small amount to lose, set your weight-loss goal to the lowest rate. (In pounds, it's .5 lb. per week.) Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories for two weeks. If you're still not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the above.
    How were you tracking your calories to see if you got 1200?
    Also, from the day we can see, more protein, definitely.

I'd certainly consider options like heavy weight lifting - not only does it burn calories, but it goes towards that 'fitness model' body that many want AND offers various health benefits. Also, you can pick heavy things up more easily :).

Lots of people don't notice much movement on the sacles for two weeks or more - new exercise can cause water retention, which can make the fat loss.
  • kelsmcdowall
    Options
    Hi geebusuk, I was just adding them up before I got recommended this app. I'll defo work on getting more protein down the hatch and weights. Thanks for you help :)
  • mekkzy888
    mekkzy888 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have a really crap set of scales too, and I'm not just saying that because I'm not losing weight - they really are inaccurate. Depending on the way I'm standing the readings can fluctuate up and down like 7lbs each way! :/ Been trying to stand "the right way" every time I weigh myself but it's still hard to trust what it says as I don't like thinking I've lost/gained some when I might not have. Very annoying.

Also, are you sure you've actually measured your height properly? I'm 5'5 and I'm not what anyone would describe as short! You seem to be doing all the right things, with the amount of exercise you're doing and what you're eating you should be losing weight although don't try to lose too much - if you are the height you say you are you're perfectly healthy already.
  • kelsmcdowall
    Options
    Yes my height is 5'5". I know that I'm in the healthy BMI section, but I ain't happy with the way I look so thats why I've started exercising. Going out to buy a decent set of scales that also measure body weight, after work. Do you think I should up my cals? Or just wait & time will tell?

Thanks
  • Lld320
    Lld320 Posts: 81
    Options
    It is not easy to lose weight when you are already a healthy BMI, 10 days is definitely not long enough to worry, your metabolism doesn't like to change you have to give it a month at least, and if it persists then you are probably under estimating the amount you eat. I suggest adding resistance training to your cardio for better, faster results.
  • kelsmcdowall
    Options
    Worked out my BMR, BMI & TDEE, which people were suggesting to do.

Sex This field is required.
    female
    Age This field is required and must be a number.
    20 years old
    Height This field is required and must be a number.
    In: 5'5" inches
    Weight This field is required and must be a number.
    In: 9 stone 5

Activity Level This field is required.

Sedentary :
    Little or no Exercise/ desk job
    Lightly active :
    Light exercise/ sports 1 – 3 days/ week
    Moderately active :
    Moderate Exercise, sports 3 – 5 days/ week <<< this one.
    Very active :
    Heavy Exercise/ sports 6 – 7 days/ week
    Extremely active :
    Very heavy exercise/ physical job/ training 2 x/ day

Your BMI is: 21.8
    Your BMR is: 1365
    Your TDEE is: 2116 calories

This is what its sayin, does this sound right for my exercising 5 nights a week? All this is confusing.. How much calories do I need to be eating then? is 1200 too low?

Thank
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11", which IS short, and I didn't even stick to the 1200 calories MFP said, and lost close to 30lbs. I was eating about 1500 calories after figuring out all my numbers. So you should definitely be eating more, If you're worried about how you look I would start lifting weights/using a kettlebell, makes a huge difference in your body!