Low cal banana bread recipe anyone?

Options
aneajo
aneajo Posts: 287 Member
I have some bananas that need used today and I would like to make something I can eat. Any ideas?

Replies

• HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    1 cup sugar
    3 bananas, mashed
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup ff sour cream
    2 egg whites
    2 cups flour
    1/4 t salt
    1/2 t baking soda

Preheat oven 350. Combined softened butter and sugar until 'creamy'. Add banana, sour cream, milk and egg white. Mix until smooth with electric mixer. In seperate bowl combine flour, salt and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to wet, mix until smooth. Pour batter into one large loaf or 4 mini loaves. Bake mini loaves for 45 minutes or large loaf for 1 hour +/-. Either way until golden and toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.

It is a cooking light recipe and comes out soooo moist and delicious. You will have to do the recipe builder to see the calories though.

Let me know if you have questions :-)
  • mdeguzman
    Options
    I like to take spice cake mix add banana's and sparkling water till it is the consistancy of cake batter. Then make muffins out of it. It tastes great and you are pre portioned so you don't go crazy on serving size.

Good Luck
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Oooh! I have one! I love this recipe:

A healthier alternative to traditional banana bread or banana muffins. Moist and delicious.

Serves 12

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3/4 Cups flour (or rice flour, for a gluten free version)
    6 Tablespoons Splenda Sugar Blend (I know Stevia is healthier, but I think it tastes nasty)
    1 Jar baby food applesauce (just over 1/2 Cup)
    2 over-ripe mashed bananas (they should be pretty mushy)
    2 eggs
    2 tablespoons almond milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon ground flax seed
    1 teaspoon double acting baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    A pinch of salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/8 teaspoon cloves
    8 crushed almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, flax seed, baking powder, salt, spices and stir.

In a separate bowl, combine bananas, eggs, baking soda, vanilla, almond milk, applesauce. Mix well.

Pour wet mix into bowl with dry mix. Stir with a wooden spoon until well blended.

Spray bread pan or muffin pan with canola oil spray (takes only a few seconds and adds a negligible amount of fat). Spoon mixture into muffin pan or pour into bread pan. Sprinkle crushed almonds on top.

Bake for 20-25 minutes for muffins or 45-55 minutes for bread (until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).

Nutrition facts for the regular version (gluten free is similar but not identical):
    Calories: 147
    Carbs: 27
    Fat: 2 grams
    Protein: 4 grams
    Fiber: 2 grams
    Potassium: 100 mg
    Sodium: 210 mg
  • aneajo
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Don't have most of those special ingrediants on hand, but I will figure something out. Will check out that website tho.
  • aneajo
    Options
    Whats the recipe builder?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Whats the recipe builder?

If you click on your "food" tab, a link will show up for "recipes" - click on that and you can add a recipe - input the ingredients and how many people it serves and it will give you a breakdown of nutritional content per serving - you can then add the food to your diary.
  • aneajo
    Options
    Cool, thanks, didn't know that.

I did find the one on the website that I can use. Im excited now to use it. 100 calories a serving. I think I will make muffins, I like muffins. :) And they are easier to take with when running.