any mommies or stretch marks

Options
harderpa
harderpa Posts: 153 Member
I lost flirty pounds but don't see much of a difference I feel as though the stretch marks make it look worse or maybe I still just look fat. Does anyone feel this way. I exercise my stomach n while body.

Replies

• Ciniharts
    Options
    Its quite normal to be unable to notice the changes in your body, once over weight we get use to sort of not acknowledging how our body really looks, we brush it off, so it makes sense that you wouldn't be able to see the changes now,. One way to convince your eyes of what your mind knows, is to take your measurements so you can observe the difference or acknowledge that you once wore pant size X and now wear pant size A instead. Take a photo of yourself now and compare it against a photo of you 50lbs ago, even better post those pictures here on MFP and let everyone tell you how much of a difference there is and how fantastic you look.

50lbs is massive accomplishment and you should be exceptionally proud!

Good luck with seeing how awesome you really look!
  • harderpa
    Options
    Its quite normal to be unable to notice the changes in your body, once over weight we get use to sort of not acknowledging how our body really looks, we brush it off, so it makes sense that you wouldn't be able to see the changes now,. One way to convince your eyes of what your mind knows, is to take your measurements so you can observe the difference or acknowledge that you once wore pant size X and now wear pant size A instead. Take a photo of yourself now and compare it against a photo of you 50lbs ago, even better post those pictures here on MFP and let everyone tell you how much of a difference there is and how fantastic you look.

50lbs is massive accomplishment and you should be exceptionally proud!

Good luck with seeing how awesome you really look!

Thanks n I'm so that
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to get my belly to go flat again. My abdominal muscles were destroyed.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I think my stretchmarks look worse now. They are this kinda papery crinkly skin now :huh:
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I took my measurements with yarn. Any time I question how far I have come I hold the yarn up to my body to appreciate the loss. I also look at pictures of my heaviest. I don't even recognize that girl anymore.

If neither help you may need to see a doctor, because there should be a huge difference. It might be a case of body dysmorphia, or at least general body image issues.

Oh, and I have stretch marks. They are still there, my tummy is just getting flayed. One thing I have come to realize though is that as we lose weight, our body seems to stay the same shape (just smaller) unless you build muscle.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I've dropped 45lbs (62lbs since giving birth) & the stretch marks look worst as I get smaller. But I lost weight to be healthy, to not be on diabetes or cholesterol medicine. Yes, of course I want to lose ripped & toned, but I can now run with my child & fit into jeans! There's so much to be thankful for! I try to focus on the positives. Congrats on the weight loss thus far!
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Time improves the stretch marks. They look far worse when they are still purple. I can barely see them after they faded to silvery-white. It takes time for the skin to catch up to weight loss too, which is probably exaggerating the appearance of the stretch marks.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I'm a mommy without stretch marks. I find that for me, aging and plain eating too much has more to do with being overweight than being a mommy:)
  • stylin
    stylin Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I heard this works well. I have a good amount of stretch marks on my shoulders/underarms, and chest from gaining 65lbs :(
    palmers-cocoa-butter-stretch-mark-cream.jpg
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of two 17 and 21 year old boys and I have the stretch marks to prove it. I also probably have many more additional stretch marks from going up and down in my weight to many times to count. I do have them all over, but they are apart of me and they help tell the story of my life, they help tell the story of my journey. I don't give them a second thought. My tummy is stretched out, loose skin and stretch marks...it could be worse. I just don't wear a bikini anymore.
  • harderpa
    Options
    I have asked doctors and tried everything but it doesn't work. Stretch marks are tips in the skin they are deep scars and look terrible. I am just trying to fund ways to feel better about it
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I have asked doctors and tried everything but it doesn't work. Stretch marks are tips in the skin they are deep scars and look terrible. I am just trying to fund ways to feel better about it

Well, I'm not a mommy but I am a guy with a small frame who lost 95 lbs and have/had SEVERE stretch marks. I have good news and bad news.

Bad news is, I have tried almost EVERYTHING, cocoa butter, vitamin e, other creams, cold baths, laser treatments etc. They will NEVER go away. Not even tummy tucks can fix it unless they're in the area of the surgery which is usually just above and below the navel. Stretch marks are literally small tears in the skins collagen to fit the pressure put on that area of the skin. Theres no way to fix that unless you sonehow have new skin put there in the affected area. There MAY be new laser treatments but the ones I tried, no go.

The good news is they fade almost entirely over time to where they're almost not noticeable at all unless up close or you run a hand across the stomach then they can be felt. Tanning will darken them with the rest of your skin. See my profile photos. You can't even tell in the pics that I have any. They seem like a huge deal now but in years they won't be.

Really, I just focus on the things I CAN control and stretch marks are a keen reminder of where I've been, they're out of my control. They're just there now and truly are not a big deal like I felt they were at one time.
  • cwannabee
    cwannabee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't know if stretch marks ever go away completely. I do know mine have faded and shrunk over time. I've also learned to accept them more. Honestly righ now my post baby 'pooch' probably bugs me more. But a pushing almost 85lbs gone even it doesn't bother me as much anymore. I can conceal it with clothes so much better that my lower abs appear fairly flat.

Thought you might find inspiration from a visual. Most of my stretch marks are on my stomach. I have a few up on my hips too, but not many. This is the result of two pregnancy during which I gained close to 50lbs and 35lbs respectively. I apologize for my glaring whiteness (red head thing) but as you can see as I get more toned and time passes the marks look a bit better. Will I ever wear a bikini in public....probably not. But I've never been the bikini wearing type anyway.

20964725_1041.jpg
  • desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Mine won't ever go away, but I'm okay with that.

Two things for me: There are some darn cute one-piece and tankini swimsuits out nowadays. The vintage style ones are especially adorable.

Also, exfoliation makes things look better. I found these cheap exfoliating mitts on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Skyroad-Quality-Exfoliating-Mitten-package-/dp/B00G3G800W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1391105165&sr=8-4&keywords=italy+cloth and they made my belly look so much better. I never noticed that my stretch marks had a sort of ashy look to them, but after I scrubbed them for a few days, they look lighter and less noticeable.
  • cmbresnan
    Options
    Me too! :grumble: Two C-Sections will do that! What about you?

From a mommy friend named Chris!

XXX
  • jorasims
    jorasims Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have lost 100+ pounds and yes I still have stretch marks. I feel indifferent about them. They aren't going to disappear so I don't focus on them at all.....You can lessen the appearance of them but they don't disappear.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    They do improve over time :) I've had two babies over 9 pounds and my stretch marks show it... but with a nice summer tan, they were barely noticeable when I went to Jamaica (in a 2 piece suit!). Now I'm way more concerned about the weight/belly pouch than I am about the marks.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have them...and as I lose weight they really don't look any different...but I lift weights and I am preserving my muscle and losing mainly fat...

So when Im done...Yah I will have them still but they wont be hanging...
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i have some on my arms, 3 on my stomach ( which are the ones i hate), thighs, back of knees, and hips.

i dont know if this does anything for you to feel better, but stretch marks are also genetic. i was 5'2 and most likely 190 lbs ( refused to weigh at my highest) and had stretch marks, but so did my 5'0 tall 90 lb sister ( she has them on thighs and hips from puberty).

sometimes its also genetics. so dont think of it in terms of fat marks, because all sorts of body types get them for various reasons.
  • goldenopp
    Options
    I heard this works well. I have a good amount of stretch marks on my shoulders/underarms, and chest from gaining 65lbs :(
    palmers-cocoa-butter-stretch-mark-cream.jpg

This was exactly what I was going to suggest. I'm a mommy without stretch marks but had a friend that tried the palmers oil and they really lightened up.

I still have more of my journey to go. 50lbs of it. Don't let the marks discourage your progress. Clothes will look good on, you'll feel sexier, and anyone who loves you won't mind the marks.

Mama tigers have to earn their stripes! My hubby says I'm too mean for stripes, that I'm meaner than a tiger. I say shut it down, I used palmers lotion while growing my baby.

Stay focused. You'll look great when you've reached your goal!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!