Carbs vs Calories

Options

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    If you cut carbs without cutting calories, you will not lose weight.

If you cut calories without cutting carbs, you will lose weight.

The answer is indisputably "calories".

That's not true.... you can cut carbs, and replace the calories from carbs with Protien.
    Assuming the person is already eating at some sort of deficit.
  • michael300891
    Options

That's not true.... you can cut carbs, and replace the calories from carbs with Protien.

Agreed, for one without even delving into the insulin and metabolic differences, carb is far more readily available for storage as fat than protein is. Some rough figures estimate about a 10% energy cost of converting protein to fat (via deamination pathway) compared to 0.04% for carbohydrate...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    good lord here we go again …

at the end of the day it is calories in vs calories out..

if you are over maintenance on calories, but eat low carb you will gain weight..

if you are under maintenance on calories, but eat high carb you wil lose weight…

this is assuming no medical issue where one would have carb sensitivity, but even then it still boils down to calories in vs calories out...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

If you cut carbs without dropping into deficit, you won't lose weight.

If you are eating at maintenance and replace carbs 1:1 with protein, you won't lose weight.

If you cut calories so you're in a deficit, without dropping carbs, you will lose weight.

The answer remains indisputably "calories".
  • michael300891
    Options

If you cut carbs without dropping into deficit, you won't lose weight.

If you are eating at maintenance and replace carbs 1:1 with protein, you won't lose weight.

If you cut calories so you're in a deficit, without dropping carbs, you will lose weight.

The answer remains indisputably "calories".

My apologies, I misread where the post was going.

I didnt meant to emply it wasnt indisuputable "calories" which it is. However, you can lose weight by cutting carbs even when compensating with protein/fat but the loses will not be great. I meant to state that technically the point wasn't accurate whereas practically its not relevant.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

WTF are you doing, man? This is the internet, FFS, you don't apologize, you lash out with ever more outrageous claims!

:laugh:

Cheers, mate.

:drinker:
  • michael300891
    Options

WTF are you doing, man? This is the internet, FFS, you don't apologize, you lash out with ever more outrageous claims!

:laugh:

Cheers, mate.

:drinker:

Meant to say "BRO YOU DONT KNOW SCIENCE CARB GOOD YALL EAT MORE FISH ITS GOT PLENTY OF INSULIN IN IT" something like that hehe
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, calories in, calories out. You are an individual and will need to find what works for you. I am a tracker and just make sure to hit my protein, fat, and calories. Some like to cut fat and follow diets like Ornish and/or Dukan. Others like balance and follow Isocaloric, Zone, South Beach, Sugar Buster type diets. Still others cut out carbs (imho, starches) and follow ketogenic style diets. Whatever you decide, I would strongly suggest you get your doctor involved.
  • crystaldhenson
    crystaldhenson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When cutting carbs and increasing fat intake (keto) you stay satisfied and therefore don't consume as many calories.

This has worked for me. 70lbs down in a little over a year.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If looking to cut 500 calories I think 125g of carbs is the best way to do it.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Calories! I've been dieting since I was 12 years old in that time I've tried every fad diet there has been. This time I actually did some research and listened to the mean people here on the boards to show me I needed to do more research, because all I had to do was create a reasonable calorie deficit, don't overly restrict or give up anything.

Guess what it seems to have worked I've lost a little weight in a years time, while not driving my family insane, or making myself totally miserable that I wanted to give up. I eat fast food, pizza about once a week, pasta, and ice cream on a nightly basis.

What I've learned is portion control and moderation. I've also learned that there is no quick fix and that I'll be living this way the rest of my life, and I'm okay with that because I haven't given up anything.

Calories in vs Calories out its the biggest secret out there
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    In to agree with the other posters. To lose weight, 'all' you need to do is create a reasonable calorie deficit. So counting calories is key.

However, how you go about it will definitely affect your success. It's individual, so what works for me won't, necessarily work for you, but in the main - protein and fat are more satiating and you need an amount of each in your diet for body function and repair. Carbs are there for ready energy. So, I make sure I get the protein and fat I need, plus enough to stop me from feeling hungry. I make sure I eat a lot of vegetables and starchy carb sources (and wine) makes up the rest.

Incidentally, I'm not following this today so far - for various reasons, ended up with fruit for breakfast, rather than my normal bacon and eggs. I'm feeling really, really hungry now!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

the purpose to reducing carbs is to reduce the amount of insulin in your bloodstream
    since insulin is the hormone which builds adipose (i.e. fat) tissue, it makes sense to not give insulin the chance to store more fat for you since it is fat that you are trying to lose.
    so keep carbs under say 100 grams per day, and certainly avoid the high glycemic types of carbs (bread, potato, rice, grains, sugar, honey, fruit juices, HFCS, etc). while you can eat whole fruit, there's no need for it really. it's calorific, higher carb and fructose is hard on the liver. but overall if you reduce carbs it is much easier to lose fat tissue.

Fats and protein can cause an insulin response....

Certain fats will not.....
    But protein will
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options

the purpose to reducing carbs is to reduce the amount of insulin in your bloodstream
    since insulin is the hormone which builds adipose (i.e. fat) tissue, it makes sense to not give insulin the chance to store more fat for you since it is fat that you are trying to lose.
    so keep carbs under say 100 grams per day, and certainly avoid the high glycemic types of carbs (bread, potato, rice, grains, sugar, honey, fruit juices, HFCS, etc). while you can eat whole fruit, there's no need for it really. it's calorific, higher carb and fructose is hard on the liver. but overall if you reduce carbs it is much easier to lose fat tissue.

Fats and protein can cause an insulin response....

Certain fats will not.....
    But protein will
    Not to mention context and dosage, which this poster seems oblivious to.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I have successfully lost good amounts of weight on low cal (just under 100lbs) and low carb (56lbs). The low cal was so restrictive I put a good chunk back on - hence the low carb which came a few years later.

:huh:

Lowering your Calories isn't restrictive at all. You just eat less of the things you already eat. Low carb is, by its very nature, restrictive. Sure, I guess you could just eat less of the high-carb foods you currently eat and replace them with more (or higher) protein and/or fat foods. But, with low carb, you pretty much can't eat but a tiny amount of certain foods (bread, pasta, potatoes, etc) without taking up your carb allotment for the day.

I mean, whatever works for you, but what you said above is completely backward.

I dont believe in a cut it all out approach, just a reduction e.g. two slices of toast to one.

You just cut out 100kcal. But keep both eggs?

Still get the protein and less kcal.

Do it the other way around and you lose some protein, plus youll be more hungry and probably eat more later in the day anyway.

Most of the negative opinions of low CHO diet are because they are associated with extremely restrictive ketogenic diets. While theres plenty of evidence these work, the evidence still holds strong for far less restricted diets.

I agree with what you're saying. The issue I was attempting to raise is that many people, when they go to a low-carb diet, cut out entire foods, such as pasta and potatoes (since they were mentioned, aka restriction), as opposed to simply eating less of them. By all means, keep protein and fat where they need to be and lower carb intake. But that doesn't necessarily mean "low-carb."
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Don't all macros effect insulin response?
    It's just the carbs induce the largest response?
    And, doesn't insulin trump all other hormones when talking about fat storage (AKA: fat regulation)?
    I'm no expert, by any means, but this is how I understand it from reading...

..... can anyone guess?
  • TheRealMarsupial12
    Options
    Anybody who thinks it's just about calories should check out Sam Feltham's 21-day experiments where he eats a huge surplus of calories (5700) on a LCHF, typical American, and a vegan diet for 21 days each and gets vastly different results.

To sum it up, he gained about 3 pounds but lost inches on his waist in the LCHF, gained about 15 pounds and gained inches on his waist with the typical American diet, and is about halfway through having gained over 7 pounds and gained inches on his waist with the vegan diet.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Anybody who thinks it's just about calories should check out Sam Feltham's 21-day experiments where he eats a huge surplus of calories (5700) on a LCHF, typical American, and a vegan diet for 21 days each and gets vastly different results.

To sum it up, he gained about 3 pounds but lost inches on his waist in the LCHF, gained about 15 pounds and gained inches on his waist with the typical American diet, and is about halfway through having gained over 7 pounds and gained inches on his waist with the vegan diet.

Lol Feltham, that was such a rigorously controlled "experiment"
  • TheRealMarsupial12
    Options

Lol Feltham, that was such a rigorously controlled "experiment"

No, but Taubes is about to do one that is.
  • TheRealMarsupial12
    Options
    Also, I've done calorie restriction with tons of exercise before and lost a minor amount of weight as well as an inch or so. It took a long time, and I was always hungry. With LCHF, I eat a calorie surplus, eat when I'm hungry, never work out, and I've lost more weight in less time and reduced my body fat.

So, what you say doesn't really mean anything to me.