Loss in Motivation!

Options
Hey guys!

Having used MFP before I knew that it would be good to use it for a second attempt at a diet.

Having lost six pounds in two weeks I'm feeling hopeful, but I'm worried about suddenly losing motivation and slipping back into old habits.

My diet consists of 1,890 cal intake with 3-4 workouts a week at 650 cals per go. I'm a student so lots of switching classrooms and walking on a big campus along with a job in the second biggest DIY store in Europe, so lots of walking there too!

Could people let me know the best ways to stay motivated and tempted by people eating junk around you? and any advice on my diet so far would be appreciated!

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Don't know what to tell you, it's not about motivation. There are days when you just won't want to do it, and all the motivation in the world won't change that. It's a matter of dedication, you have to want it right down to your core, so much so that it's not even a question weather or not you're going to do what needs doing every day.

Rigger
  • fitfan11
    fitfan11 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Set short term and long term goals.

Stay focused.

Work hard.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Fake it till you make it.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    The biggest things for me have been to find exercises that I really like. I didn't realize how much I would love running until I tried it, and running on some nature trails is the best. To me it's not like a workout at all, it's more like an escape. That's what you want to look for. I also work with horses and that gives me some mega calorie burns but the reward is much more than the effort that goes into it. And riding is almost like being free, and that is a great workout too.

I haven't given up any foods. I've just learned about moderation and when I can eat or cannot eat them. For example if I spend a morning working at the barn, I can pretty much eat a whole large pizza if I want to. But if it's a rest day I need to pay closer attention and only eat one or two slices of pizza. I still enjoy all of my favorite foods, except those that trigger migraines. There are no bad foods. It's all about learning to balance foods and trying to meet your macro and calorie goals.

If you can do that then you will be successful and the motivation will build upon what you already have and you will get a snowball effect. At least that's what has happened to me. The only time I've had any setbacks was when I had a 3 week long migraine in October and was basically in bed.

So it's all about finding exercise you love to do and moderation in your diet.
  • taylorpalmer23
    taylorpalmer23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You all make really good points! thank you all for the advice!
  • snootmaster
    snootmaster Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound ridiculous but for me what has been really helpful is having an "anchor" that reels me back in when my motivation is lagging and I feel like I may be losing control with my eating. I have an anchor word and that word is "promise"-you can look to my profile for more information on that. Not sure why but it has really helped me a lot. The other advice I have is even if you are not behaving the way you would like to in terms of eating, try to hang on to some core behaviors that keep your foot in the door. Things like making sure you are drinking plenty of water, getting a bit of exercise in, etc. It does not have to be an all or nothing proposition. Good luck to you!
  • taylorpalmer23
    taylorpalmer23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound ridiculous but for me what has been really helpful is having an "anchor" that reels me back in when my motivation is lagging and I feel like I may be losing control with my eating. I have an anchor word and that word is "promise"-you can look to my profile for more information on that. Not sure why but it has really helped me a lot. The other advice I have is even if you are not behaving the way you would like to in terms of eating, try to hang on to some core behaviors that keep your foot in the door. Things like making sure you are drinking plenty of water, getting a bit of exercise in, etc. It does not have to be an all or nothing proposition. Good luck to you!

Really good advice thank you!