Kale chips

Options
Hi everyone, I just started trying to make Kale chips and I've tried a couple recipes that I've found online already. The problem I keep running into is that my kale seems fairly bitter and many of the recipes I've tried seem to come out very salty, but this may be because some recipes call for coarse salt and I've been using table. Any thoughts on recipes that come out less bitter? Is there a big difference in taste between coarse and table salt for kale chips? Also any simple, limited ingredient recipes that work well for you are all welcome :)

Replies

• dawndovell
    dawndovell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use curry powder and olive oil. No salt. I just mix the oil and curry powder then rub it into the kale. My friend mixes in sesame seeds when she makes it. Both yummy results. WARNING: you will have yellow fingers.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I just use vinegar,garlic salt & onion powder mmm
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi. What kind of fat do you use to bake them? I know the salt makes a difference but a lighter tasting olive oil can make it taste less bitter. Garlic or onion powder will actual sweeten and balance the taste out.

I kinda like mine spicy, and found it also helps to counter the bitterness. Some simple chili powder and/or cayenne is perfect for this.