Carbs vs Calories

Options
13»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Anybody who thinks it's just about calories should check out Sam Feltham's 21-day experiments where he eats a huge surplus of calories (5700) on a LCHF, typical American, and a vegan diet for 21 days each and gets vastly different results.

To sum it up, he gained about 3 pounds but lost inches on his waist in the LCHF, gained about 15 pounds and gained inches on his waist with the typical American diet, and is about halfway through having gained over 7 pounds and gained inches on his waist with the vegan diet.

Lol Feltham, that was such a rigorously controlled "experiment"

No, but Taubes is about to do one that is.

Yes since the overeating trials that don't agree with his carbs are evil fantasy must be incorrect
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Also, I've done calorie restriction with tons of exercise before and lost a minor amount of weight as well as an inch or so. It took a long time, and I was always hungry. With LCHF, I eat a calorie surplus, eat when I'm hungry, never work out, and I've lost more weight in less time and reduced my body fat.

So, what you say doesn't really mean anything to me.

:noway: :ohwell: :huh: :cry: :frown: :laugh:
  • Acg67
    Options
    Also, I've done calorie restriction with tons of exercise before and lost a minor amount of weight as well as an inch or so. It took a long time, and I was always hungry. With LCHF, I eat a calorie surplus, eat when I'm hungry, never work out, and I've lost more weight in less time and reduced my body fat.

So, what you say doesn't really mean anything to me.

So where do the surplus of calories go?
  • TheRealMarsupial12
    Options
    Excreted as ketones. Converted into muscle. My body temperature also raised from low to normal, which increases calorie expenditure. And probably something else. But I'm not a scientist. All I know is what works for me and what doesn't.
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 30% protein 30% fat 40% carbs. I have managed to get my body fat % to 17.5 this way (plus workouts) whilst still having enough energy throughout the day (and not biting people's heads off hahaha)

I don't eat white bread or pasta, but wholegrains, seeds, veggies and fruit are all in there. Mmmmmm bread, I love bread. My friend is on a high protein low carb diet right now and she's having brilliant results, but she has FAR more willpower than me!
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    That's exactly right. Calories are key but eating low carb makes keeping calories down so much easier.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Excreted as ketones. Converted into muscle. My body temperature also raised from low to normal, which increases calorie expenditure. And probably something else. But I'm not a scientist. All I know is what works for me and what doesn't.

That's funny, well controlled metabolic ward studies holding calories and protein constant found no greater fat loss for low carb or keto diets. Also Eating a zero carb diet also failed to raise RMR significantly. So much for the metabolic advantage theory
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You know what you should do? Stop worrying about what works for other people - do the work and experiments and see which actually works better for you.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Look at every large population group in recorded history. What did they eat? Lots of carbs. And how did they look? I'm not talking about Egyptian pharaohs, either. They ate like we (Americans) do, got fat like we do, and died of the same diseases that we do. I'm talking about the average person. Think of most Asians who still eat their traditional diet. You know, lots of rice, lots of veggies, a little meat or fish. Or the Incas in South America and their potatoes, the Aztecs in central America with their corn, etc. They were all slender and strong.

You might want to search for videos by Dr. McDougall on YouTube. Watch the longer ones. You will get an education by a man who knows what he's talking about, who has the science to back him up.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You can also look up the Nutrition Science Initiative, of which Gary Taubes is a co-founder.
    There is some great research coming down the pipeline.