A Protein drink in the Evening

Options
I always heard to make sure your last meal should always be before 7pm.
I was wondering if that also includes protein drinks about 2 hours before
bedtime.

When I do a protein drink it includes 6oz of Silk Almond milk, 1 scoop of
protein (41g), with some kind of fruit (banana, strawberry, or raspberry),
blended.

Thank you

Replies

• blgmw2
    blgmw2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I always heard to make sure your last meal should always be before 7pm.
    I was wondering if that also includes protein drinks about 2 hours before
    bedtime.

When I do a protein drink it includes 6oz of Silk Almond milk, 1 scoop of
    protein (41g), with some kind of fruit (banana, strawberry, or raspberry),
    blended.

Thank you

I have also heard about restricting after a certain time doing the day, but it doesn't work for me. I feel if you have the calories left and your hungry have it.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Did anyone who told you this give you any real scientific backing for not eating after 7?

No?

Didn't think so, because there is none.

Eat what you like, when you like. As long as you are in a calorie deficit then you will lose weight.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Enjoy that protein drink :) you will be just fine
  • BillyJan1992
    BillyJan1992 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes should usually be used if only working out not to be drank before going to bed. protein drinks help strengthen your muscles when you are working out
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I eat my biggest meal most of the time late at night, around 9h30pm. I usually go to bed at 10.. Sometimes I eat it IN bed.

Your body couldn't care less at what time you eat. What matters is the total calories consumed at the end of the day.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes should usually be used if only working out not to be drank before going to bed. protein drinks help strengthen your muscles when you are working out

Please elaborate
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with drinking protein shake when you want. I have drank them last four months at various times. Weight loss for me a success.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Protein is used to repair muscles after a workout, not to strengthen them during it per se. Your body starts to repair muscle about 2-4 hours after a resistance training session, and that continues for up to 24 hours. It is a good idea to get some protein in you at some point an hour or 2 before and/or after the workout. But there is no harm in having a shake before you go to bed - your body will find a use for it! Hitting your daily goals (1.0 - 1.5 g of protein per lb lbm) is more important than any specific timing. Eat (or drink) when is convenient for you.
  • earmuff111
    earmuff111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been having a protein drink as my last "meal" of the day because I work out in the a.m.- also, the sweetness of the shake has helped me control my sugar issues.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake every night before bed because sometimes I workout late, and sometimes it's just delicious. Meal timing doesn't matter OP. Do a little research and you'll see.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It might matter if you have to weigh in for a competition in the morning or something along those lines but as far as for normal health and weight loss, calories don't give a crap what time it is!!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I certainly hope you are confusing protein (shakes) with creatine. In which case, eh, close enough.

OP - eat or drink whenever you desire. While some people have digestive issues such as acid reflux if they eat right before bed, many don't. Drinking a shake an hour or so before bed should be fine.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Newsflash: Not EVERY piece of advice related to health is for maximizing weight loss!

It's generally not a good idea to go to sleep with a FULL stomach. Having a LITTLE something in there (esp protein-ish) will help stabilize your blood sugar overnight, most likely. But a tummy FULL of dinner, especially if it's high acid, can come back up in your throat and cause problems. Also, your digestion is not optimal for a big load while sleeping and reclining.

Like everything else, just apply moderation. Having a protein shake after 7:00 will not likely hurt you in any way, but if you had a big dinner and went right to bed, you'll likely be uncomfortable. If you do this a lot, you run the risk of developing different types of reflux.