cabbage soup breakdown??

Options
13»

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I'm only here because someone said there was some kind of internet slappy fight thingy going on...and...much more importantly... that there would be cake.

So, where's the cake?

ku-xlarge.gif
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I forgot about that soup. It was very good! I found the recipe on food.com and it gives the nutrition breakdown. I suppose just find out how many carbs were in the cabbage and subtract.

Thanks!! I had originally been hoping that someone could tell me how to look up the ingredients from the soup that is saved in the database. It seems odd that you can add that and not be able to verify that it is the same or similar to the one you're actually eating. It's looking like no one actually has that answer, though.

I'm just going to input my recipe into the recipe tracker. It's obviously the best way to keep track of the nutritional content, especially if making exchanges from one vegetable to another.

Yes, it does seem like that should be an option. I believe it's been mentioned in one of the forums here that is up for suggestions for the site. You are able to "share" your recipes so that others can use them, but there is currently no way for anyone (other than the author) to view what is included in the recipe.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I forgot about that soup. It was very good! I found the recipe on food.com and it gives the nutrition breakdown. I suppose just find out how many carbs were in the cabbage and subtract.

Thanks!! I had originally been hoping that someone could tell me how to look up the ingredients from the soup that is saved in the database. It seems odd that you can add that and not be able to verify that it is the same or similar to the one you're actually eating. It's looking like no one actually has that answer, though.

I'm just going to input my recipe into the recipe tracker. It's obviously the best way to keep track of the nutritional content, especially if making exchanges from one vegetable to another.

Click through a recipe to the underlying individual ingredients and nutritional information? That's just crazy-talk.

Just wait until you try to click through *your own recipe* that you entered yourself to adjust quantities of an ingredient or two and realize that it simply can't be done.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Have you heard about IIFYM? It is really awesome and it makes eating more fun IMO!

I haven't heard about it, tell me, tell me!! Anything to make dieting more fun! (Aside from having fun posting on this thread. :wink: )
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros IIFYM

Basically once you have figured out your macro nutrient needs you can eat whatever you want providing you hit those goals. It really takes the "I can't eat that" mentality out of eating! I love it.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Once you enter your numbers you have the option of selecting the % of eat macro you want. I customize mine to 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein as I have been playing with the numbers a while now but you can go off one of the recommendations or you can customize.

Hope that helps :flowerforyou:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    [

Ahh, you're new here. Come on in, I'll show you around.

Thanks, Jof! I appreciate the friendly tour around the site! Fortunately, replying on a thread isn't exactly rocket science, so I was already kind of familiar on how it worked. That being said, I'd be happy to reciprocate on fatsecret.com (basically the precursor to mfp), as I've been a member on there for quite some time. Much of the information is the same (maybe not a lot of the people, sadly) but I do appreciate being able to sync up with other apps, which is why I decided to switch after all these years!

Hey now, don't trivialize the complexities of posting in the MFP forums. It may *seem* relatively simple, but it's a veritable minefield. It is easily the tamest and least confrontational of any online forum I've ever seen in my decades online, and yet to read some of the posts, you would think it is the most vicious. (And seriously, I wasn't joking about how you'll understand more about it as you spend more time here. This place truly changes people...usually, but not always, for the better.)

Meh, I'll stop here. I don't want to give away too much of the book I'm writing on the phenomenon that is the MFP experience.

I wish I had a guided tour of the forums from Jof. :grumble: :grumble:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    [

Ahh, you're new here. Come on in, I'll show you around.

Thanks, Jof! I appreciate the friendly tour around the site! Fortunately, replying on a thread isn't exactly rocket science, so I was already kind of familiar on how it worked. That being said, I'd be happy to reciprocate on fatsecret.com (basically the precursor to mfp), as I've been a member on there for quite some time. Much of the information is the same (maybe not a lot of the people, sadly) but I do appreciate being able to sync up with other apps, which is why I decided to switch after all these years!

Hey now, don't trivialize the complexities of posting in the MFP forums. It may *seem* relatively simple, but it's a veritable minefield. It is easily the tamest and least confrontational of any online forum I've ever seen in my decades online, and yet to read some of the posts, you would think it is the most vicious. (And seriously, I wasn't joking about how you'll understand more about it as you spend more time here. This place truly changes people...usually, but not always, for the better.)

Meh, I'll stop here. I don't want to give away too much of the book I'm writing on the phenomenon that is the MFP experience.

I wish I had a guided tour of the forums from Jof. :grumble: :grumble:
    Inorite? And I've never been invited to any of those Mean People meetings either. :angry:
  • nikkinicole1234
    Options
    So, where's the cake?

I'll supply the cake!!!

Does anyone know if I could switch out the eggs, flour and sugar for something else to make this...???
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    So, where's the cake?

I'll supply the cake!!!

Does anyone know if I could switch out the eggs, flour and sugar for something else to make this...???

Cauliflower
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    So, where's the cake?

I'll supply the cake!!!

:laugh: I think you will feel right at home here!

Oh, I had heard that you can sub water - but just don't boil it as it will lose it's nutritional value.
  • mboromom
    mboromom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    To support the OP i actually love cabbage soup...
    but I like it because of the cabbage love the taste and texture.. call me weird :bigsmile:

So i think taking out cabbage and its very little calories would be pointless...
    Maybe you should through in some shredded chicken if you don't want the cabbage... then you might as well call it chicken soup? lol:laugh:

Cabbage soup is yummy!!! That shredded chicken in it sounds delicious! I add spinach, diced tomatoes, onions and celery to mine...It's your world boo, tailor your recipe however you like and enjoy it. I think it's a nice and light dinner idea.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    To support the OP i actually love cabbage soup...
    but I like it because of the cabbage love the taste and texture.. call me weird :bigsmile:

So i think taking out cabbage and its very little calories would be pointless...
    Maybe you should through in some shredded chicken if you don't want the cabbage... then you might as well call it chicken soup? lol:laugh:

Cabbage soup is yummy!!! That shredded chicken in it sounds delicious! I add spinach, diced tomatoes, onions and celery to mine...It's your world boo, tailor your recipe however you like and enjoy it. I think it's a nice and light dinner idea.

Yes I like the taste of cabbage in soup and I find that soup is normally very low cal already, but to figure out what you need to reduce or remove from your soups to make them fit your needs enter the recipe in your recipes section and look at the nutritional values of the ingredients - I like a good hearty soup but I like mine with a protein in it - I mostly use root veg in my soups and like to add spinach and kale near the end (not a whole lot depending on how much soup there is in the end result) I don't usually follow recipes.
  • nikkinicole1234
    Options
    Oh, I had heard that you can sub water - but just don't boil it as it will lose it's nutritional value.

:laugh:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    So, where's the cake?

I'll supply the cake!!!

Cauliflower

tumblr_lmas04mJ701qafrh6.gif
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    So, where's the cake?

I'll supply the cake!!!

Cauliflower

tumblr_lmas04mJ701qafrh6.gif

tumblr_lt6vw2CZIU1r4ghkoo1_500.gif

hB0E0FDB9
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Cabbage soup (BREAKDOWN of ingredients at end - it us spicey but I love it)
    IF YOU MAKE IT, make it 2-3 days in advance because OMG by day 3, it is so delicious!!!! The spices have all permeated everything and I'm sad because I just finished my last bowl and have to make more!!!!

SPICY Cabbage Soup
    1/2 head cabbage, roughly chopped
    1 c celery, diced
    1 c onion, diced
    1 c carrots, diced
    1 bell pepper, diced, any color
    2-3 cloves garlic, minced
    4 cups Vegetable broth (low sodium if possible)
    14 ounce can spicy diced tomatos with juice
    2 tsp oregano
    2 tsp basil
    4-5 tsp crushed red pepper

Heat 2 Tbs oil in bottom of pan
    Add celery, onion, peppers & carrots, saute til tender
    Add in garlic and broth.
    Stir in tomatoes and cabbage.
    Add in seasonings.
    Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cook until cabbage is tender.

Nutritional info for ENTIRE recipe:
    Calories 484
    Sodium: 3432.9 mg
    Carbs: 94.9g
    Fiber: 22.4g
    Protein: 14g
  • nikkinicole1234
    Options
    Cabbage soup (BREAKDOWN of ingredients at end - it us spicey but I love it)
    IF YOU MAKE IT, make it 2-3 days in advance because OMG by day 3, it is so delicious!!!!

Thanks, this is pretty much exactly the same recipe as mine! I loooooove the spiciness! Next time around, I may even add some diced jalapenos. I wonder if chipotle peppers in adobo sauce would work...?