Is this correct?

Hi! So I have been exercising/changing my eating habits probably since the week after Christmas. I started exercising with c210k the beginning of January. I am now at the end of week 5 of the program, and I started going to the gym when I got back to school about the middle of January, meaning for two weeks. I typically burn anywhere from 500 calories to 800 (in an hour to an hour and a half), using a Polar heart-rate monitor and underestimating.
I am starting to try to incorporate more raw and whole foods into my diet because recently I noticed that while what I was eating wasn't necessarily bad, most of it was packaged or processed.
I used this website: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ just now to calculate my macro level things (I've never done this before) accounting in a high level of exercise, which I feel like I do 5-6 days of the week.
Its saying I should be eating 1700 calories to lose weight, whereas MFP puts me at 1200. I guess the infamous question would be: should I start eating more like the other website is telling me? I have not really experienced a change in my weight at all. I have noticed clothes fitting a little better, but yeah. I would just really like some insight on this please :)

Replies

• tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    MFP is designed for you to add your exercise calories. The other counter prob takes in consideration that your exercise is now part of your daily routine giving you the higher number.

So if you take MFP# of 1200 + 500 calories of your exercise = 1700 that the other site gives you.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    When MFP calculates your goal it doesn't take exercise into account. It expects you to log your exercise and adds extra calories to your goal as you earn them.

The TDEE method takes your exercise into account from the start and sets a higher goal for you, but with this method you don't earn more calories after you exercise.

For me, the two methods have always come out about the same once I log my exercise into MFP.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Yup, what he said. 1700 without adding your exercise calories, or 1200 + your exercise calories. Either way you'll be at generally the same level.
  • thanks everyone!!
    So would eating back these calories possibly help me lose weight? I kind of am getting over some issues with food/binge eating and eating 1700 calories seems like a lot to me, especially since I am not a fit athlete.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Eat 1700 for 2 weeks and reevaluate. Me, My number was way too low and I"m going to add 400 more calories a day to my total. You will figure it out.

And just like paying cash for things, when you count up your calories and track them, you are less likely to over do it.
  • Eat 1700 for 2 weeks and reevaluate. Me, My number was way too low and I"m going to add 400 more calories a day to my total. You will figure it out.

And just like paying cash for things, when you count up your calories and track them, you are less likely to over do it.

alright, ill try this