Heavy Lifting...really?? Me?? Hmmm....

Options
I have been on my weight loss journey for about 3 years now. I am 5'2" (barely) and started at a weight of 215 pounds and currently at 174.6 (to be exact) :blushing: I have been OBSESSING over posts on here about strength training and lifting for women....I keep reading the same thing...heavy lifting...heavy lifting....heavy lifting...and eat, eat, eat. I am eating around 1400-1500 calories right now and feel good with that number. I eat 5-6 times a day and feel as though that was a great lifestyle change in my weight loss. I am looking to lose about 35 more pounds. BUT...I totally am ok with using measurements instead of the number on the scale to make me feel successful....so, here is my question(s)....

WHERE TO START?
WHAT LIFTS SHOULD I DO?
HOW MANY TIMES A WEEK?
HOW DO I KNOW HOW MANY CALORIES TO EAT EXTRA DURING THE DAY TO SATISFY MY BODY FROM LIFTING?

Some side notes...
I use a Polar Heart Rate Monitor when I work out along with the FitBit Force and love both....
I have been doing some form of cardio about 5-6 days a week...
I ALWAYS lift before I do any forms of cardio so that I know already...

I have researched MANY different programs: P.H.A.T and other 12 week programs but I want to find a LIFE LONG weight training program to stick with forever!! I am NOT worried about getting bulky because I know that is just a bunch of crap :laugh:

Any recommendations would be great :smile: PLEASE and THANK YOU!!!

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You could stick with this program forever, or you could move on to something more advanced whenever you'd like:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Make sure you are getting enough protein, about 100 grams is a good starting point. You could increase your calories to 1700 or 1800 or so, but as long as you can hit your macros and you feel like you have enough energy you don't have to increase.

Also, HRMs don't work for lifting, just FYI.
  • mrob04
    mrob04 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bump..... To see the comments cuz I kinda have the same questions! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Start reading some thing that resembles one of these

Strong lifts
    Starting strength
    New Rules of Lifting for women (or just NROL- doesn't matter)
    Strong Curves

Learning full compound moves- barbell training will be the way to go to progress with heavy lifting.

So this should be the process:
    1.) Do research- there are tons of articles/videos and exert advice out there.
    2.) Get a broom stick (or PVC pipe)
    3.) Practice these lifts ad nauseum
    4.) Get your book
    5.) Write yoru work out down
    6.) Get thee to the gym
    7.) Lift all the things.

Lather- rinse repeat.

This process never stops- I've been lfiting for years- these are the exact steps I do.

now- go forth- and be fabulous.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Strong lifts
    Starting strength
    Strong Curves

Learning full compound moves- barbell training will be the way to go to progress with heavy lifting.

4.) Get your book
    6.) Get thee to the gym
    7.) Lift all the things.

Lather- rinse repeat.

This process never stops- I've been lfiting for years- these are the exact steps I do.

All of this.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Strong lifts
    Starting strength
    Strong Curves

4.) Get your book
    6.) Get thee to the gym
    7.) Lift all the things.

Lather- rinse repeat.

^^ this!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You could stick with this program forever, or you could move on to something more advanced whenever you'd like:

Make sure you are getting enough protein, about 100 grams is a good starting point. You could increase your calories to 1700 or 1800 or so, but as long as you can hit your macros and you feel like you have enough energy you don't have to increase.

This. There is also a group for ladies who do Strong Lifts and there are some awesome people there. There is also a free app which tracks your weights, reps and resting times. You should do this for 6 months to a year then move on to Madcow, texas, 5/3/1 or a similar program. Or you could just stick to it.

Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women might also be good choices for you. SL and SS are simple and have only 5 moves to get down pat. NR has a lot more variety, but then you have to learn proper form and your weights for more variety.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Strong lifts
    Starting strength
    Strong Curves

4.) Get your book
    6.) Get thee to the gym
    7.) Lift all the things.

Lather- rinse repeat.

She beat me to it :-p.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts 5*5. It's really uncomplicated and teaches you basics. Practice 3 times a week with whatever weight feels not too easy and not to heavy - don't look at others for starting point because everyone of us is different - some have stronger arms, some core, some legs... VERY important: keep contant attention to your form! Hire a trainer or invite someone with experience to show you how to lift.

It's not a rocket science!:bigsmile:
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I read the new rules for lifting books. There was some skimming and reading. Then I joined a group about 5x5 lifting. I read about a couple of those programs. I then downloaded the free apps for those programs. I watched YouTube videos a bunch on form and then last week I went to the gym and tried out my first workout. I did three sets of five reps of squats and bench press and 1 set of deadlifts. I used just the bar for all of those. I was excited I could start with the bar I was worried I wouldn't be able to do it. I had my husband come to spot me the first time. I seemed easy enough and I liked the simplicity. Obviously as I move up weight it won't be " easy" but that is the point :). My kids got sick so I didn't get to do the second workout last week. I will begin again this week where I began last week. I will consider last week practice since I didn't get to do the B workout.
    So my advice is pick a program and then go do it.
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Strong lifts
    Starting strength
    Strong Curves

4.) Get your book
    6.) Get thee to the gym
    7.) Lift all the things.

Lather- rinse repeat.

Great answer. Just one question, what is the broomstick for? Is it to keep the back from curving when practicing position or something else?
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am meeting a trainer on Monday so that will be nice to have someone show me form!

Thank you all for your input! I am excited to start!!
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have found bodybuilding.com to be awesome for this!! I'm going through Jamie Eason's Livefit Training program, where you ease into a lifting program. All of the exercises are explained in detail, complete with video. I don't follow her diet plan specifically, but I can say the workout program is great.

All the best! :flowerforyou:
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Oh I like the broomstick idea. I started with SL5x5 b/c it was the easiest for me to understand, and then I just did a bunch of youtube research for form. I get really nervous in the gym (still) being a small girl, lifting alone, wearing pigtails (short hair) at 6am. But then I start picking things up and putting them down, and I remember that I'm awesome and everybody wishes they could rock my pigtails and second-hand workout clothes.
  • henriettevanittersum
    Options
    how often and how long?
  • bryannakay
    Options
    Oh I like the broomstick idea. I started with SL5x5 b/c it was the easiest for me to understand, and then I just did a bunch of youtube research for form. I get really nervous in the gym (still) being a small girl, lifting alone, wearing pigtails (short hair) at 6am. But then I start picking things up and putting them down, and I remember that I'm awesome and everybody wishes they could rock my pigtails and second-hand workout clothes.

HAHA! Too funny! I bet they are all jealous!! And, what the heck is the broomstick for? Practicing form?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I will begin again this week where I began last week.
    You have just (re-)discovered the formula for success! Do not EVER give up! :bigsmile:
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    The broomstick is to be used instead of a barbell.

That way you can practice the moves without any real weight yet.
  • bryannakay
    Options
    The broomstick is to be used instead of a barbell.

That way you can practice the moves without any real weight yet.

Awesome, thank you!
  • bryannakay
    Options

Great! Thank you for your input! I figured that HRMs don't work with lifting but, I wasn't sure. I also know that I am eating too many carbs and not enough protein in the day either. Great recommendations!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Also check out Nia Shanks.