Question about sugar?

Options
My total allotted sugar on this site is only 37g/day which I go over almost everyday seeing as how even an orange is like 14g sugar. I've seen other people's food diaries on here & their allotted sugars have ranged from 60-87g/day. Why is mine so low? Is mine a normal amount/day or are the other values I've seen more accurate?

Replies

• abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the answer to this too! My day goal MFP gave me is 24!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    My total allotted sugar on this site is only 37g/day which I go over almost everyday seeing as how even an orange is like 14g sugar. I've seen other people's food diaries on here & their allotted sugars have ranged from 60-87g/day. Why is mine so low? Is mine a normal amount/day or are the other values I've seen more accurate?

I don't count natural sugars. When it comes to milk and fruit - I create my own food and zero out the sugar. Natural sugar counts as carbs. (Mine is only 24. I do that with an apple and a glass of skim milk.)

You might be able to change it in your settings. I think you can set custom goals. I've changed the carb/protein percents but nothing else so I'm not sure on this.
  • precioustypeoflove
    precioustypeoflove Posts: 197 Member
    Options

I don't count natural sugars. When it comes to milk and fruit - I create my own food and zero out the sugar. Natural sugar counts as carbs. (Mine is only 24. I do that with an apple and a glass of skim milk.)

You might be able to change it in your settings. I think you can set custom goals. I've changed the carb/protein percents but nothing else so I'm not sure on this.

I wouldn't zero out natural sugar it is all the same ur body can not tell the difference !!! ur body won't say oh this is natural i wont add a pound to day no way !!
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    It's not worth keeping track of sugar in your food diary. MFP does not distinguish between natural sugars (like fruit) and artificial sugars (like candy, cookies, soda, etc).

Just avoid the junk stuff as much as possible.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I would not be concerned with natural sugars, like fruit. I would worry about the EXTRA sugars in cereal, coffee, yogurt etc... any refined sugar should be off the menu. If you like sweet - by stuff without sugar and add some stevia - a natural sweetner with no calories and without the "sugar rush effect".
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I can only think of 2 possible reasons. One being you can change your amounts for those on special diets... higher protein, lower carbs.. however you want to customize it. Or it could be the exercise they may have done that day, it automatically jumps up almost all of them to accomodate for what your body needs.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I wouldn't zero out natural sugar it is all the same ur body can not tell the difference !!! ur body won't say oh this is natural i wont add a pound to day no way !!

your body CAN tell the difference. Having a glass of milk and having a snickers are NOT the same to your body. Lactose (milk sugar) doesn't cause the insulin spike that HFCS (candy) does.

Fruit, milk=good. Candy/processed white sugars=not so good
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options

your body CAN tell the difference. Having a glass of milk and having a snickers are NOT the same to your body. Lactose (milk sugar) doesn't cause the insulin spike that HFCS (candy) does.

call a NUTRITIONIST!!!!!!! And ask them it's all the same hun ur body can't tell the difference sorry ur not suppost to eat anything with over 12g!! this is from a professional
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options
    Some foods contain the same type of carbohydrate as that which is added to foods. All your body is interested in is the length of that carbohydrate, and the type of bonds present between the mono-saccharides (glycosidic link). Sucrose (table sugar) for example is 1 x glucose and 1 x fructose connected, whereas lactose (found in milk) is a galactose and glucose connected.

Different manufacturers use different mono, di and poly saccharides in their product. Your body has no idea where they have come from (natural or added) and will process them the same.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

PreciousTypeofLove is correct in what she is saying.

The body can't say Oh this is milk or fruit or veggies..........Oh this bread, potatoes, candy, etc..........

It says Oh sugar in the gut, pancreas secrete insulin - doesn't matter where it comes from and you best believe that fruit and milk CAN and DO cause insulin spikes.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I will continue to enjoy milk, fruit and a balanced diet. While losing weight.
  • Grokette
    Options

Losing weight does not = Good health.

I have given up dairy and have no more sinus problems. I will occasionally eat some Fage full fat yogurt, but not often.

I prefer to eat REAL FOOD, mostly plants and that way I can EAT A LOT! And it is nutritionally balanced.

Humans do much better with no grains and no dairy.
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options

I have given up dairy and have no more sinus problems. I will occasionally eat some Fage full fat yogurt, but not often.

I prefer to eat REAL FOOD, mostly plants and that way I can EAT A LOT! And it is nutritionally balanced.

@ grokette thanks it like everybody wants to think the no every thing i never agree with any thing untill i ask a dr.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I don't count sugar. I only track protein, fat, sodium, and carbs. I eat three servings of fruit a day. I found that counting sugar was useless for me.
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options
    I don't count sugar. I only track protein, fat, sodium, and carbs. I eat three servings of fruit a day. I found that counting sugar was useless for me.

ye ai don't count it on here either but i do read my lables and if its ove 12g i just leave it alone
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Right, it is important to check the glycemic index on an item. I love green grapes, however they are higher on the glycemic index in comparison to plums. I try to keep that in mind when I choose my fruits. Also, I usually finish eating my fruits by 3pm and then concentrate on eating my veggies for the rest of the day.
  • Grokette
    Options

@ grokette thanks it like everybody wants to think the no every thing i never agree with any thing untill i ask a dr.

That is one of the reasons why I went to school and became a Naturopathic and Holistic Nutrition Coach. I am working on starting my own business and will start part time as a diabetic Nutrition Counselor in January at my Dr office.
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanx for all the posts.

The reason sugar concerns me is because type 2 diabetes development runs in my family once one of us hits a certain amount of weight gain. And, while I'm not diabetic now, I have had some high random blood sugars that concernd me. I am still about 60 lbs over-weight so I know that losing will likely eliminate the risk of me developing diabetes, but until then I try to keep my sugar somewhat controlled. That's why I couldn't believe that apples & oranges have that much sugar.

Also, I love yogurt & the brand I always eat, yoplait light, is quite high in sugar. What are some good low-sugar brands?
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    I choose not to pay attention to sugar because I need it for muscle recovery in weight lifting... AND because I simply don't ingest much added/refined sugar. My weakness is fresh fruit and dark chocolate. But like others, I do pay attention to the glycemic index and make sure that I get my sugars through as many high fiber foods as possible (my drinking chocolate is actually a primary source of fiber).

I don't do much dairy (lactose intolerant) and I control my whole grains... but I don't eliminate grains because when I do for long, I begin to crave them. Let me restate that: I don't crave them if I give them up for a few weeks (which is when most people experience cravings). I crave them if I give them up for a month or more. Which tells me that they are providing nutrients my body needs.

I am doing A LOT more greens - Kale, Collard Greens, Rapini, Spinach and salads - than ever before. Used to be the only green that passed these lips was Broccoli and Green Jello. :wink: But the others are much higher on the ANDI index.
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love dark chocolate too Guardup. I especially love the gerardhelli 60% cocoa. Mmmm:tongue: