Hi MFP community, newbie here... 1,300 cals

Options
:smile: I just joined this site on Monday and been reading the message board. There's so much great information here and support, and enjoying using the tools. Never thought I would be able to keep a 'food diary' but so far so good, and it's definitely making me more conscious of what I eat so I'm making better food choices.

Is anyone else here on 1,300 calories a day? At first it sounded like heaps--but then I had no understanding of the concept of calories--but now it seems like it's not a lot. I'm tempted to splurge all my calories on one decent sized meal as splitting it over three meals doesn't give me much at each meal and I'm never fully satisfied.

What would you eat on 1,300 calories a day?

TIA

Replies

• Rk25ire
    Options
    Hi definitly wouldn't splurge on one big meal a day! Your body will think it's being starved and then when you do eat it wil hold all of fats etc so it will be harder to lose weight!
    I need help on my foods too I'm a snacker and I need something low cal to keep me going through the day ;)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    My arm eventually. I prefer two bigger meals.
  • ChristineR1990
    Options
    I currently eat 1,000 calories a day, but I'm trying to work my way up to at least 1,200 per day. I just have it in my head that if I eat more than 1,000 I'll never loose fat so I'm trying to work my way up to eat more. BMR is so important though.

I have a feeling that if you only eat 1 big meal a day you'll probably be starving by dinner or tempted to binge eat. Even on 1,000 calories a day I still eat 3 smaller meals and 2 snacks throughout the day to help curb my appetite.

Things I eat on a low-cal diet: I eat fruits, veggies, 50-cal cheese sticks, 60-cal frozen "go-gurt", 100-cal nut snack packs, 100-cal popcorn packs, 90-cal brownies, 50-cal dark Dove chocolate, rice cakes, etc. for snacks. For small meals I usually have rice with veggies, sweet potato with grilled veggies, sandwiches w/buffalo soy patties (I don't eat meat), burgers with grilled soy burgers, tacos w/low-fat refried beans, soups w/salad, grilled cheese w/low cal bread and 25-cal cheese, etc.

If you portion your food and drink water with your meals, you can do it. It's probably unhealthy to eat so few calories though. I'm still working on it myself. :/
  • buffgirl79
    Options
    Hi..I eat 1200-1500 a day (try to stay closer to 1200) people tell me I eat to little..I tried figuring out macros and bmr and decided it's just how I need to do it in order to lose. Anyway I usually have coffee and a protein shake for breakfast or fish and eggs or broccoli/egg white omelet..all kinds of stuff. You are welcome to friend me and check out my diary..I'm not going to type it all and I'm fairly new here too so can always use friends :)
  • philotherianism
    philotherianism Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1300 calories a day here for me, too! Feel free to add me and take a peek in my diary, if you're looking for ideas. I lost 80 pounds about two years ago, hit a bit of a plateau, and now I'm committed to getting ready of the rest of the weight.
  • chenning10
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories a day and I usually have one "cheat" day. The way I do it is to have a whole bunch of small bites throughout the day. For breakfast, I will have a boiled egg and low-sodium v-8 juice, or light yogurt and granola. Then for a mid-morning snack I'll have some raw veggies and light ranch dressing (I change up the veggies weekly so I don't get bored), or whole wheat pita and hummus. When I get home from work, I'll have a cup of home-made vegetable broth or turkey chili (it's Minnesota in the winter-time!). Then dinner is a lean protein with steamed or canned veggies. Throughout the day, to curb my sweet tooth, I have toostie pop suckers or Werther's sugar free candies. I even have a "before bed time" snack of popcorn (Skinny Pop brand), or cheese cubes. It's not very many calories and you really have to plan ahead for your day, but it can be done. Good luck and do the best that you can!
  • newoutlook2014
    newoutlook2014 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the responses.. I will probably have to make today a 'cheat day' as I couldn't resist something a bit more substantial for lunch than a salad and a thin piece of meat... had a big mac *oops*... :blushing: but I weighed myself this morning and I'm down 1kg already and my goal is 0.8kg a week, so I figured I could have a treat I'm desperately craving, otherwise i'd be thinking about it all day. Plus I don't want to live a life where I don't get to eat something 'not that good' every now and then. Now I feel I've got that out of my system and I'm not craving it, so I think I'm good for the rest of the week. my weigh-in on Monday morning is the one I count, so *fingers crossed* I'll have at least reached my goal by then.

thanks for the responses. still keen to hear more... :happy: