New job, how do I balance?!

Options
I just started working about 8 hours a day at a job (my first job ever) and I've found it REALLY REALLY difficult to keep up my 2 hour work out schedule after work because Im on my feet all day. Has anyone else gone through this? If so, how did you cope?

And another thing, I work at a fast food place so its really hard not to eat that. But when I come home I just want to eat everything under the sun because Im so tired and I want comfort.

I keep telling myself "welcome to a new world laura!" and I know it will be like this the rest of my life but Id just like some tips on how to get this all done. I also am taking 3 classes at school! Hahahhaha HELP!

Replies

• doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Working out 2 hours a day is overkill. maybe try to scale it back to 1 hour a day? or even every other day if you can. Also if you using MFPs calorie goals make sure your activity level is set to active. you might be tired all of the time because you aren't eating enough. And there isn't anything wrong with eating fast food. I work at quiznos and eat at work 3-4x a week and am still losing. :smile:
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I like to work out before I go to work, I have more energy during the day, I have my evening free (unless I have school), and all the equipment I want to use is open and there are no crowds.
    as for the food, I can't help. When I worked in estaurants I cooked so much food I was sick of everything in the restaurant so I would go home and have a PB&J
  • Cdbrat
    Cdbrat Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the same problem sometimes too. There are times when I've been walking a property all day, and am just too tired to do any cardio when I get home. My trainer told me to just do some strength training, just to get something in, since muscle burns fat even while you're doing nothing. So, I'll do some bicep curls, squats, etc for about 30 minutes.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    well, i dont "work" for an actual "employer", however... i am a married mother of 5 kids, 1 who has some medical conditions, 4 who are all active in sports, a husband with a fractured spine, a full time college student, cat mom to 4, dog mom to 3, and caretaker of my house and yard... so, im just a tad bit busy... i just made it work. i made it happen. i didnt leave any room for excuses, because if i wanted bad enough, id just do it.
  • GrannyWild
    Options
    After losing about 100 lbs over a 2 year period, I recently changed jobs. At first the stress and crazy new busy schedule got to me and I gained some weight back. Now, after being at the job for more than 6 months I've changed up my exercise schedule and that seems to be slowly working for me. I go to my local Y at 5:15 or 5:30 every weekday morning and do either weight lifting or cardio for 45-60 minutes and then I shower and get to work by 8 and I have a 30-40 minute drive to work. I usually am not as hungry during the day either and if I do eat it is much easier to remind myself that I worked hard that morning so I want to continue my healthy habits throughout the day. I'm still fighting to get back to where I was with my weight loss but I have had a host of other issues in addition to the job change problem so don't give up. Just keep trying different things until you find what works for you.
  • ladyicye50
    ladyicye50 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you want to work out 2 hours a day, try to break it out in small increments. I do about 60-80 minutes before I go to work. I do a 10-15 minute power walk on a break or lunch at work and sometimes I do about 20 minutes when I come home from work. You just have to make the time. I get up at 5:00am and start working out around 5:15-5:30am. I stop by 6:40am to shower, drink fluids and my daily coffee and prepare my food for the day. I start work at 8:00am so I eat in my office while working.

Just carve out what works for you. Best to you.