Healthy Tacos?

jessmo803
jessmo803 Posts: 56
edited September 22 in Recipes
Anyone have any recipes or tips for healthy tacos? Trying to have some for dinner tonight. Thanks!

Jess

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    lots of veggies, you can use black beans,ground turkey chicken and whole grain tortilla
  • AshleyVeronica
    AshleyVeronica Posts: 69 Member
    Good question! I love tacos! Can`t imagine a healthy one though without taking away so much goodness, so I will be watching to see the suggestions too lol
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    I use the hard corn shells (3 shells only 150 cals) and black beans...then I load up the veggies and salsa. YUMMY!! We usually end up just crunching up the shells for taco salads. If I'm being bad I'll have some light sour cream. :)
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    I use soy meatless crumbles instead of meat....
    DO homemade salsa instead of sour cream (ik its hard cause I loooovvveee sour cream)

oh by the way do a google search for hungry girl taco you will find some good recipes (I would copy and paste but DH wont let me)
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Ground turkey or fish. Nonfat Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Part-skim/2% cheese. Low cal and/or whole grain tortillas. Tomatos, onions, guac, etc... :)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    I do fish or shripm tacos. I don't use the packets of seasoning. I use cumin, chili powder, garlic, paprika, and what ever else I grab. Cook that up until done. Then I use the tiny tortillas, cabbage shredded with lime juice on it, salsa, guac, and sometimes a little bit of reduced fat cheese.
    If you have extra calories, I do the reduced fat sour cream with celantro and lime juice mixed into it and then a crap load of cilantro on top.
  • YES!

Get extra lean ground turkey instead of ground beef and cook it with taco seasoning just like you would ground beef. Also, find whole wheat/low carb tortillas. Tortillas seriously pack on the calories...so you can save BIG time by getting a healthier tortilla. Load up on the salsa...it is generally low calorie and can really add deliciousness. Fat free sour cream is also a great option.

Here is an easy recipe for dip I like to eat with baked tortilla chips or actually put on my tacos:

1 can yellow corn (i actually use a little less than the whole can)
    1 can black beans (i actually use a little less than the whole can)
    1 jalepeno
    1/2 red onion
    1/2 cup cilantro
    1-2 Tbsp Liquid Smoke or some sort of smokey marinade (I use Fabulosa Fajita Marinade)
    8 oz fat free sour cream

Blend or very finely chope the onion, cilantro, jalepeno, and liquid smoke (I like mine a little chunky). Stir in with corn, black beans, and sour cream.

This is 100% fat free and I love it.
  • I make mine with ground chicken or turkey instead of beef :)
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    My before tacos, ground beef, reg mozz and cheddar cheese, sour cream
    My now tacos lean ground beef (I don't like the ground turkey), with fat free mozz or reduced fat cheddar (not both), lettuce, and light or fat free sour cream.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    i la-la-love taco's too.
    replace ground beef with ground turkey which is much leaner! also, if you like fish, you can always substitute the meat for a white fish like cod, talapia, or a more full flavored fish like salmon. use low-fat or fat free shredded cheese, and low-fat or fat free sour cream (both of which i use and can't even tell in the taste that they are fat free) also load up on veggies and use whole grain tortilla shells like ProTFitness suggested :-) now i am craving taco's!! haha
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    I make them alot. I just ground white meat turkey (or you can substitute beans instead), low fat cheddar cheese, lots of lettuce and tomatoes, and I substitute plain yogurt fo the sour cream. They are yummie :)
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    St. Yves has an amazing "Mexican flavoured" veggie ground round that not only is less high in saturated fat than the ground beef you would normally make, but its also really easy to make! One package mixed with a 1/4 or 1/2 cup of salsa and heated in the microwave is all you need for instant taco "meat" you can normally find it in the tofu/meat alternative section of grocery stores.

(I also love to use it was a ground beef replacement in meat sauce for pasta etc, or in chili!!)
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    lots of veggies, you can use black beans,ground turkey chicken and whole grain tortilla

agreeed!!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    We eat these every week because they are the favorite in my house!

Ground turkey is the biggest adjustment I've made, we actually don't even eat ground beef anymore because it just tastes like grease to us now.

My favorite combination is the ground turkey, cucumer, peppers, lettuce and cilantro. I always chop up and mix the tomato into the salsa to bring down the sodium and we buy the small Dempsters whole wheat soft tortilla's.

My husband does add some grated low fat cheese to his but I usually do not.

I do not purchase the taco seasoning mix any longer because it is very high in sodium so instead I add 1 tsp of the following to my browned ground turkey with 3/4 c water and let that simmer off:
    garlic pwdr
    paprika
    chili pwdr
    cumin
    fresh ground pepper
    pinch of salt

This is the favorite dinner in my house hands down!
  • Wow! Thanks for the suggestions and recipes everyone! Now to try and find some low cal Chinese food, huh? ;o)
  • katieannd
    katieannd Posts: 66 Member
    I made these the other night and they were AMAZING...

http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/shrimp-taco-warm-corn-salsa-recipe
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,809 Member
    I use soy crumbles, homemade taco seasoning, light sour cream, and cheese that is 2% fat kind. And of course lots of tomatoes, lettuce and salsa.

Here is what mine look like http://www.myveggietable.com/2009/06/vegetarian-tacos.html
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    I always use ground turkey....add some veggies and salsa....
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    What up double post....
  • Bump!
This discussion has been closed.