Any Other Slow Runners?

Options

Replies

• Ashly744
    Ashly744 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner too. I usually do a 5k in 40 minutes give or take a little. I've been working on pushing myself. I don't follow any coaching programs, but every now and then I like to throw in the zombie run. :smile:
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I can do 5k in 48 minutes. The track is next to the senior center. People on walkers lap me.
  • vprichard
    Options
    Yes, I am also slow! But I have learned that slow does not matter. I am out there and that is the best! Don't worry about it....please. I would get stressed about being slow and then it became a chore and way less satisfying. :)
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Slow runner here. 4 years ago my fastest mile was around 12 minutes and that's after losing 50lbs and running on the treadmill for a year. My little legs just can't go any faster lol.
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...when y'all said slow, I thought you meant SLOW. I'm training with a Galloway run/walk group for my first half marathon. I run a 13-14 min mile. Now that's SLOW. My half marathon pace will probably be 16 min/mile.

That said, I always run faster listening to music. But "faster" is such a relative term...????
  • jasmineeatsfood
    jasmineeatsfood Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...when y'all said slow, I thought you meant SLOW. I'm training with a Galloway run/walk group for my first half marathon. I run a 13-14 min mile. Now that's SLOW. My half marathon pace will probably be 16 min/mile.

That said, I always run faster listening to music. But "faster" is such a relative term...????

I was thinking the same thing.

It looks like we are in the same club because I have been running a 12-13 min mile.
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This might not be useful to you but I would do C25K agains and up the pace, shoot for 6.0 mph (10:00 min pace) I'm doing the c25k right now and did the 5k in just under 40 min but that with quite a bit of walking and I never ran more than 3 minutes straight ( I'm in week 3) if you can run that far already you can definitely up your speed for another round of C25K
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I'm also a slow runner. I was focussing more on distance, but in reality a slow steady pace was my comfort zone. I bit the bullet & now do intervals. But I do it in a fun way, I do the zombies run app, which has zombie chases & periodically throughout the run I have to run fast in order to evade the zombies. If I don't maintain a faster speed for a period of time then the zombies catch up to me. It's a fun way to incorporate the speed work.
  • monbot
    monbot Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Time is key. I've got from doing C25K and only getting to about 3km in the time they allowed, to 6km in 35mins. All I've done is run. I don't push, I don't do intevals or anything like that. The only thing that I've started doing is sprinting the last 200m, and thats because I like the feeling of running fast.... but then I get home and die.
  • jmock87
    jmock87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am soooooooo slow!! I went for a 5 mile run this morning and it took me an hour. So I'm averaging a 12minute mile. Just think, you're still faster than every single person that is still in bed or sat on the sofa! (that's what I tell myself, to make me feel slightly better!)

I've read, and may be wrong, but you shouldn't worry too much about your pace, get your distance and then start working on pace. Tbh I'm pretty happy running 5 miles in an hour. I'd love to do it in 50 mins, but it's just another goal for me to work towards.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Slow is relative; you can try a Higdon training schedule. google search Hal Higdon and 5k or 10k, read and follow, simple. I used the 10k novice 8 week program and ran 4.5 miles non-stop at my longest run. A week later, I did 6.7 miles as part of a relay 1/2, other runners around you and your will to keep going will get you to finish. My 5k times have steadily dropped since I started running longer distances and following a training schedule. And I joined a winter running 5k series; best of luck, and continued success.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    June of 2012 i was running 5k in 40 mins. Jan 2014 i ran a 5k in 26:04. So that was a 13+ pace to 8:21.

I didn't do a single fartlek or speed interval. I trained for 4 half marathons. It was from increasing my mileage. 25-35 miles per week (got there gradually of course) and my long runs are generally always over 10 miles. My HM hasn't fared as well, 2:22 to 2:06 in a year, but it has improved.

This has worked for me and I have asthma, so I don't even have fully functioning healthy lungs.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    This is really old school, but I borrowed a running book from my local library. Heaps of great info, and heaps of training programs for every race distance and ability level. The program I'm doing incorporates speed work - 1 interval run / week, 1 tempo run / week, as well as a steady run and a long run. Later in the program there are sprints and hill repeats. Intervals and tempo runs have helped me increase my pace.

The best tips I can give: First; increase your cadence (just means take shorter, faster steps - uptempo music will help). This will make you run faster. Second; run across the ground, don't bound over it.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It looks like we are in the same club because I have been running a 12-13 min mile.

Me too! I'm training for a HM and all my long runs have been at 12-13 min mile pace.

What helps me push my pace the best is running with someone slightly faster than me. I've been a 12 min miler forever. Last fall I trained for a 10k, not worrying about pace at all. I think I ran that at about a 12:30 pace. Six days later I ran our local turkey trot and I ran that at about 11:40 pace. A few days after that I went to a group run and tried to catch up to a friend the whole way. I never caught her, but completed the 3 miles at under an 11 min/mile pace. I don't think I've gotten under 12 min/mile since but right now my focus is distance, not speed.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm also a slow runner. I was focussing more on distance, but in reality a slow steady pace was my comfort zone. I bit the bullet & now do intervals. But I do it in a fun way, I do the zombies run app, which has zombie chases & periodically throughout the run I have to run fast in order to evade the zombies. If I don't maintain a faster speed for a period of time then the zombies catch up to me. It's a fun way to incorporate the speed work.

Now that does sound like a fun way to incorporate speed work! And what you said about getting out of your slow steady comfort zone is right. I used to do that, too, and it didn't make me faster. I had to actually run faster to run faster, if you know what I mean!
  • Hammie023
    Hammie023 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Whether you are a fast or slow runner doesn't matter. It is the fact that you are making the effort to start and finish that is important.
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    No matter how slow you are you are still lapping the guys on the couch.

Even when I was in high school and could swim 100 yards in under 1 min, I was a slow runner. My PR for a 5K is 33 min, and for a 10K ~1:15:00.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    You can easily increase your speed by working on your stride and making sure that you are propelling yourself forward using your posterior chain rather than taking shorter strides and placing too much strain on the quads.

I dont know a good way to explain it but I used to run track (sprinter) and the way I was taught to run looks very different than the way I see new runners run. Im still getting back into running shape and my easy chug run results in a 10:12 mile vs a 12 or 13 minute mile I see people with different form use
  • merpmerp95
    Options
    The advice here is really helpful. My mile time is 13 minutes and I'm pretty happy with that considering almost 2 months ago I could barely run 90 seconds :P
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    There is no shame in being slow, so I say embrace it.

My first 5K race, it too me nearly 38 minutes - I was in the bottom 3% of all runners.

My first 10K race was almost 80 minutes... I was last in my age/gender group.

Thanks to Wombat94 for being honest and making being slow OK. I am letting "being slow" get in the way of training for my first 10k cos I am nervous as hell of "looking stupid". You're teaching me a lesson. Thanks.