when lifting, when did u see results?

jardimgirl
jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
how long did it take to see a difference, and what kept you going?

Replies

• AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    About 6 weeks...I started showing actual muscle definition. I showed strength gains almost immediately and pretty continuously. I kept at it until I injured myself, and I am currently seeing a PT for tendonitis. I have lifted since high school (am 39), and I kept lifting because frankly lifting heavy things feels like hurting people without actually hurting anyone. It is a great stress relief for me. I love to feel strong...it makes me feel pretty.:blushing:
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    About 2 weeks for me. It was seeing those types of results that quickly that kept me going.

Edit: Oh, and it was that my booty was looking much better and my shoulders started looking stronger.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Maybe 3-4 weeks. I saw a difference in arms and legs. I like the results. I like taking it to the next level.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Depends on your current composition and where you naturally store body fat.

Give it 6-8 weeks.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I can't really pinpoint when I started to see results aesthetically, but I saw strength gains pretty quickly. What keeps me going is setting specific weight goals for the compound lifts and charging toward them. I've already met the goals I had set for February so I am rethinking things as we speak!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    A few months after starting over last March. I thought that was fast and due to muscle memory.

Hiatus was due to having a baby. I chose not to work out during last trimester and was lazy afterwards up until the baby was 6mos. I haven't missed a workout since I started back up.
  • jardimgirl
    i hear lifting is the fastest way to achieve a lean "toned" look, true or not im not sure. thats why i ask :)
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    i hear lifting is the fastest way to achieve a lean "toned" look, true or not im not sure. thats why i ask :)

Lifting along with a small caloric deficit and adequate protein is the best way to preserve lean body mass while losing fat and therefore the best way to get "toned".
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member

Lifting will help you build and/or maintain muscle mass and aid in lowering your body fat percentage which may give you the look you are after.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    I can't really pinpoint when I started to see results aesthetically, but I saw strength gains pretty quickly. What keeps me going is setting specific weight goals for the compound lifts and charging toward them. I've already met the goals I had set for February so I am rethinking things as we speak!

^This

Except I haven't crushed February yet :tongue:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    About 2 weeks for me. It was seeing those types of results that quickly that kept me going.

Edit: Oh, and it was that my booty was looking much better and my shoulders started looking stronger.

This.

No change in the scale at first, but people noticed the difference in composition within just a few weeks.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    3 weeks.
    I have always done work with my arms bc I don't want bingo arms. When I started lifting heavy I felt better and tighter. Lost inches in my waist, hips, but gained 3 pounds. I know if I develop muscle mass, I will metabolize better and weight loss will come if I eat at deficit. It's all good. My body craves good nutrition and exercise, when I satisfy those cravings, my body rewards me with good health and bonus...good looks!
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    I was using Pocket Trainer to learn lifting/functional fitness for a few (6?) weeks before I switched my program to heavy lifting and changed my diet to include 1-2g protein for every kg of my body weight. I see my arms, shoulders, and quads, and my glutes developing after 3 weeks of focused diet and heavy lifting.

What keeps me going? Dedication to myself, my set goals (aesthetic and strength), my cheerleaders (my man, mfp, coworkers, and friends), and the plan to stick with this for 12 weeks and then reassess. 9 weeks took go :drinker:
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member

Lifting along with a small caloric deficit and adequate protein is the best way to preserve lean body mass while losing fat and therefore the best way to get "toned".
    ^^^ yep!! What she said :)
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    I had so much friggin body fat I didnt see definition until I had dropped 30-40 pounds so maybe 6 months - that was when I could physically see the results in the mirror

that being said I noticed my arms and chest develop within 2 months or so - pretty quickly
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

This.

No change in the scale at first, but people noticed the difference in composition within just a few weeks.

Me too. I had very obvious changes in my chubby bellah within 2 weeks. I thought I was imagining it but then my husand mentioned it. Within 3 months of lifting (4 counting the one I had to take off for surgery) I have an entirely different midsection.
  • jardimgirl
    wow these are all great!
  • Couple of weeks for me. I could really feel it before seeing it. My quads and biceps were harder to the touch, and then one day...BOOM, there was the definition.
  • ca_76
    ca_76 Posts: 2
    Between weeks 3 and 4 I noticed a visible difference in my stomach. Now I am at 6 weeks at the same weight on the scale, but in a swim suit I'm looking much better, especially in my arms and stomach. My jeans are looser also. I have to pull up a now saggy pair that fit snuggly 6 weeks ago. Lifting rocks!
  • jardimgirl
    Between weeks 3 and 4 I noticed a visible difference in my stomach. Now I am at 6 weeks at the same weight on the scale, but in a swim suit I'm looking much better, especially in my arms and stomach. My jeans are looser also. I have to pull up a now saggy pair that fit snuggly 6 weeks ago. Lifting rocks!

that sounds fantastic! my main issue is my belly so i hope to get results like that too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!