Never in my life have I ever lost weight....

Options

Replies

• Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You most certainly can do this. And if TDEE is stressing you out, then use the NEAT approach: let MFP calculate your daily caloric goal, and then eat back 50-100% of your exercise calories (I eat back 100%, others vary - do what works best for YOU). Note: for many people, using a 1.5 lb/wk loss goal and/or "lightly active" setting is most beneficial for feeling good while losing.

Please do read the sexypants link - it's good information, and will remind you that what works is slow and steady. Not some big painful food restriction/deprivation coupled with ridiculous workouts 6 days/week.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Two other things, given where you are:
    1. This is a little long, but has information you really need to see. There are so many NON-extreme, simple things you can do, and avoid some of the well-meaning advice that may not make sense for right now:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner.html

2. My diary's open, as is my blog. Have a look. It's not "clean" eating. I'm not doing extraordinary workouts. And I'm losing pretty steadily at a little over 2.5 lbs a week. Will our numbers be exactly the same? Of course not. Still, the point is, with no extreme measures, the weight is coming off. 16 lbs in ~45 days. You CAN do this.

Step 1? Commit in a POSITIVE way to your health - and burying your head in the sand, refusing to think, and hoping that bootcamp will fix everything, isn't it.

Read those 2 links.
    Log.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Well, you certainly won't with that attitude. I invite you to search through the forum, look at the "success stories" posts. There's no gimmicks involved. It's purely science. BUT, if you're not ready to make the necessary changes, and it certainly sounds like you are not, then maybe you should just come back when you are.
  • klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you're refusing to take the time to digest the information you're being provided, maybe you're not committed to giving it your best shot.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Of course you can. Just because you never have before, doesn't mean you can't now. The past doesn't have all that much to do with the future. Most of us have tried many, many times to lose weight before we succeeded, including myself. I tried dozens of times and failed. I was on MFP for a year and quit twice before I lost any real weight.

You just need to figure out what works for you, what you need to succeed.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Well, I lost 50 pounds and got to my goal weight and size and have maintained that now for 18 months, so I'm going to say it is possible. Turns out my parents are wrong. I am NOT a special snowflake.
  • hamfam60
    hamfam60 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I decided to change my lifestyle back in December 2010, I got up off the couch and went for a run, was able to run about 1/2 mile and then walked another mile. I kept getting out there pounding the pavement and by the end of April I had lost 25 pounds. I'm was down another 5 pounds end of May of 2011 and since then though I had hoped to lose weight I have been in pretty much maintenance mode. Still running 4-5 days a week, have added bike riding and just started swimming this week. Hope to do a triathlong mid-March. Since December 2013 I've now dropped another 5 pounds. But I don't focus on the weight as it's just a number, I focus and getting up 4-5 days a week and being active. I feel better physically, emotionally, and mentally and I can no longer imagine life with being active. I've cut back on some of the foods I used to eat, such as ice cream, chocolates, and such; but when I do eat them I feel no guilt as I know I living right. Put in your head that you NEED a lifestyle change, and CHOOSE to do it. Whatever it takes; keep a journal, track your food (I've been doing since Jan 2011 and it helps me stay focused on what I put in my mouth). I believe in you, now it's up to you to believe in yourself and look your demons in the eyes and no longer be scared that you cannot do it, because YOU CAN! Best of luck to you....
  • Dgadd17
    Dgadd17 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I went the Phen-Fen route and lost 75 pounds without even having to think about it. As soon as I went off, the pounds came back. I went the South Beach route and lost 75 pounds again. As soon as I started eating normal food again, I started gaining the pounds back and then some. Because I denied myself foods that I otherwise enjoyed, I enjoyed them entirely too much! This time, I started back in May, on MFP in July. not only do I not feel like I'm denying myself anything, I'm understanding my body better and more aware of what I'm putting into my mouth. Yes, there are foods that i might avoid, but most of the time, I just eat less of what I like. If I'm learning nothing else, I'm learning that I CAN be satisfied on less than I was eating before. I've also learned that occasionally "cheating" isn't the end of the world, as long as I don't let it give me permission to keep dong it.

TL;DR You can do this. Take your time, don't freak out if you backslide occasionally (you are human), and know that this community will support and encourage you every step of the way. :)
  • hamfam60
    hamfam60 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats, and keep on running! I get so excited when people "get" this lifestyle experience and you got it. Good for you!!
  • 4MissRose
    Options
    I think I get what you're saying. In my experience it turns out I was kidding myself on some major parts of the weight loss process; I thought I was eating less, or healthier, but in reality I was just over-compensating with different foods. If you have been trying to lose weight for most of your life and have not succeded, it simply means you have been doing it wrong. Change it up and try again; that's all you can do. It's like this quote: We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. ~ Albert Einstein
  • queenveef
    queenveef Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Dear OP: If you're not eating at a deficit then all the boot camp exercise isn't going to do anything! I started in December going from completely sedentary to exercising 5/6 times a week for at least 20 minutes. And yes, I figured that the exercise would put me in a calorie deficit - guess what!! I was still eating too much even with the exercise. Yes I lost a lb or 2 but it was mostly a big stall and very frustrating. I went back and checked out the calories I had been eating and realized I was basically eating at maintenance even with exercise.

This is a learning experience - i.e. learn from your past, learn from your food log, learn from your mfp friends, learn from the posts.

Log all your food, eat as close to your calorie goal as possible and then start making small changes. I like the attitude of "I can eat that" and adding something rather than "I can't eat that." So I started with more fruit and vegetables. I've learned that eating some things aren't worth the calories e.g garlic bread - way too many calories :) but I also know now that if I want garlic bread that I can eat it in moderation or choose other lower calorie food items knowing that I will be eating it.

You are worth it and yes you can lose weight!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Everytime I hear about TDEE. I get so confused, but I looked up a calculator http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ <- there's the link. And it says if I put all my info in that my TDEE is 2447, and my BMR is 1780. If I go further, it says for fat loss I should eat 1872 cals.

No. no way.

I know right now this is all probably just overwhelming my brain right now, and that's what's got me upset.
    If I just let it go, keep going to bootcamp 1-2/week, I'll eventually seee something. I've got to be building metabolism somewhere.

I'm just going to do it at a much much slower pace than my friends who go every day. I have to accept that I can do only what I can do.

Thank you all for your input and listening to my rant.
    I think a lot of people fail to have long term success with weight loss because they refuse to let go of black/white thinking and see life in extremes. They're either "on a diet" or have "fallen off the wagon". They're being "good" or "naughty". They're either eating too much and can't be bothered to exercise or they get a sudden wave of motivation, cut calories far below what they need to and "go hard" in the gym - doing far more exercise than they are used to and far more than they really enjoy doing. So, inevitably, that doesn't last long.

You say "No. no way" to 1872 calories, but why not? Why don't you give it a try and see? Not for a few days, but a few weeks, consistently weighing your food and tracking it. If you aren't losing, then reduce that number a bit. I find when I talk to people in real life about losing weight, a lot of them assume you have to eat 1000 calories a day or something. At the same time, most of them assume they normally eat around 1500-1800. Of course, they're not tracking their food and in most cases are vastly underestimating their normal intake.

I maintain on around 1850 calories PLUS exercise calories (I use the MFP method), and I'm (slightly) older, and lighter than you. If you're using the TDEE method (ie you DON'T log exercise calories and eat those back) then 1872 sounds very reasonable to me for you to lose weight. That should work out to be about 1 lb a week if your TDEE really is around 2400, and 1 lb a week is a very reasonable, sustainable rate of loss for where you're at now. I'd try 1872, give it a few weeks and if you don't lose anything and see no changes in measurements, then knock it down a little bit, say 1700 or 1650.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    "whether you think you can or you can't, you are right"

It IS all in the attitude and approach, sort that first (simple mindfulness books help and I'm NOT into self helpy stuff as a rule because I'm a stiff upper lip Brit!).

You CAN do it but boy do you need to believe it - go on, don't try, do.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Also, I only had a 2st (28lbs) goal loss and am only 5'2.5. Short and not tons to lose makes it harder in theory but I still lost on 1400ish cals a day (without avoiding social events etc) plus normal levels of exercise/activity but at no time did I turn myself navy blue doing cardio which I hate. I just put my head down and kept having a go. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • lynn1982
    Options
    Does anyone else find it odd that the OP has 1,090 posts and has been a member since Sept 2010? Just pointing that out...
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Try small changes at first. Exercise 3x week walking or something. Buy more fruit n veggies to snack on. With 1800 calories you could afford to budget in some treats. Some nights I have one scoup not 3 of icecream which is usually around 150. So its not all or nothing. Small changes at first soon become habits. There will be good days and not so good just gotta keep pushing forward.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else find it odd that the OP has 1,090 posts and has been a member since Sept 2010? Just pointing that out...
    Is that a good or a bad thing?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You aren't committed to this change - you drink soda or diet soda for breakfast - your diet lacks a variety of good wholesome food and you do not log consistently - When you actually commit to changing things you will lose weight but you don't have anyone to blame for your situation but yourself - I am not usually this blunt but you have been on this site for more than 31/2 yrs and it would seem you are not taking advantage of the things you can learn here.
  • lynn1982
    Options

Neither - it's just odd. Something smells fishy here...
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Time on the site is irrelevant.

I usually stick to the groups I'm in and the people I've met there, but sometimes I just get overly curious thats why I post out here.
    I'm impressed with the feed back in this thread. I've actually gotten some good pointers.

I get a little too wrapped up in what others can do, I have to remember that I don't have to do exactly what they do, and for the most part I can't.
    But knowing that some have had success on higher calorie counts, and the mentioned methods of exercise is encouraging.
    No you're right 3 years ago I was losing weight on a pill.... I'm slowly wrapping my head around how to to undo this mess now.
    It's also difficult to wrap my head around doing something for me. As opposed to doing it for others.

It's ok to be blunt. Sometimes anger and frustration are good motivators.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options

Neither - it's just odd. Something smells fishy here...
    I suppose as long as it's salmon. I like salmon. :tongue:
    Just a real person struggling in thier 30's to undo many decades of poor eating and exercise habits. Everybody has their ups and downs.