Irresponsible advice from dietitian?

Options
13»

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's pretty bad.

I've also seen people claiming to be dieticians here lack even a basic understanding of human biology, so clearly that degree isn't everything. Find a new dietician.
    Yeah I saw one who didn't know the difference between cellular respiration and the respiratory system. Apparently that title can be found in a Cracker Jack box.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I saw an excellent nutritionist in the Bay Area, California. I think she mostly works out of San Francisco. I only saw her twice, but she was very communicative via email and she had me write down everything I ate for 6 months. I had never done this before, and it was an eye opener. She gave me realistic things that I could easily prepare/eat at work and told me where I was lacking in my macros simply by looking at my food diary. She is NOT a fan of restricting ANY type of food!

After a year of correspondence, and over the year I had only been gaining weight at a slow but steady rate (and all normal blood tests) she concluded with "your job is killing you"

She was right. The stress and ridiculous hours of my job were precluding me from losing any weight. I wasn't sleeping right because of it, even if I exercised before work every day and ate as "right" as I possibly could, it was an uphill battle.

I finally got laid off from my job, and in the first month I lost 5 lbs and I didn't change much of anything with my diet and exercise. If any of you need a face to face interaction with an excellent nutritionist who will tell it like it is in the Bay Area, PM me and I'd be happy to share her information!
  • ztaitaifufu
    ztaitaifufu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    jeez that dietician sounds atrocious ! how do these people get degrees and licences... the bar is definitely way too low. in terms of high cholesterol/blood pressure beyond the whole exercise, and stress management among other lifestyle changes, for particular things you can tweek with your diet, i don't know your tastes obv :) but some things that are excellent at lowering cholesterol & BP are bitter melon and red yeast rice. i know when i;m making something that will raise my hubby's cholesterol and BP i'll often make it with red yeast rice wine lees to balance things out for him. also watch your salt (processed foods/ cured meat can be pretty problematic in terms of heart, ect health. however the link between dietary cholesterol and sterum cholesterol is not actually a sure thing. ... but yeah definitely find someone else. good luck !
  • tea4rose
    tea4rose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sadly this is common advice given from dieticians. :-(

I went to see the school dietician in the fall for help with NES and she designed a meal plan identical to the one I used to gain with recovering from anorexia.

I feel your frustration.
  • tea4rose
    tea4rose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ***I am fifteen pounds overweight
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I think you should find a different dietician. There are tons of different schools of thought when it comes to nutrition and weight loss, and there is no single right answer. It sounds to me like you already have an approach in place that works for you and need someone who is willing to work with you to adjust your existing approach, rather than trying to get you to replace your existing routine with something completely different. Shop around and find a dietician who's on the same level, and I think you'll be much happier with the results.

Pretty much this. There are many roads to Rome (or a calorie deficit / healthy lifestyle in this regard.)

The problem comes when you cannot see a client as an individual with specific strengths and weaknesses and instead of coming up with an individualised approach to cater to that you try and impose your favoured approach or beliefs on to them.

Can calorie counting and weighing food lead to obsessive behaviour? Yes, of course but that depends on the individual. They are simply tools at the end of the day. If you like them and they work for you then keep it, if not find another way.