Running Advice Required!

Options
Over the last few months/years I have been trying to keep relitively fit by regularly using my push bike. This has not been a problem and helps me in my efforts to remain relitively fit and battle the bulge.
I had howerver noticed that i was plateauing, so in an effort to regain the loss I took up the C25K challange, never run before on any kind of regular basis. week 1 passed OK came on to week 2 day 1 good ..... but as i started to hit day 2 I noticed one of my knees began to hurt. So rested this for a full week before attempting W2D3.
Now comes the clincher; I aborted W2D3 very quickly as soon as i started to run the pain came back.

Question: Do I leave it longer and try again, or do i stick back with what worked previously (cycling)?

incidently the week and a bit running did appear to break the plateau.

Replies

• charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have had the same thing happen when I first started running. Have you tried insoles in your shoes? The other thing to try is the athletic tape (that sticks to itself and bendy) wrapping it just below your knee.
    You can also have someone watch you run to see if you are running flat footed or heel to toe.
    :)
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    Could be that you need new shoes, or that the shoes you are using aren't giving you proper support for running.
  • eaglemonster
    eaglemonster Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Will try insole and tape to see if it helps. New shoes are a bit out of my pocket at the moment. If these donot help I shall get someone (who runs a bit more regular) to watch and advise. but must admit to being very self conscious when running; usually under the cover of darkness. Daft as i do not usually lack in self confidence.

Dont want to give up on it, not yet. but scared of naffing my knee!
    Cheers for the advice.
  • saladtramp
    Options
    I agree with the advise on checking out your shoes. Go to a running store like Fleet Feet and have them evaluate your gate. Sometimes it's worth a visit or two to your local physical therapist. They may offer a suggestion on inserts, stretching techniques, etc.
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi

I see you`re in Aylesbury (I`m just down the road in Hemel) :smile:

Theres a shop in Aylesbury that will check your gait and advise on proper shoes. Its called Up n Running

Check em out here http://upandrunning.co.uk/shops/aylesbury.php

Good Luck
  • Bonnie555
    Options
    I would touch base with a physiotherapist - I had that and it was the little tendons right under the knee cap and once I was taught how to deal with those, never had another problem. And, I did not have to buy anything:)