my doctor thinks I am a weird freak now....

Options

Replies

• Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I got OCD, so you consider that as being a weird freak? Should I say thank you for that?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Haha, suggesting therapy because you take an active interest in staying healthy. Well I guess it's not the norm compared to many of the patients doctors see. If it's working for you then keep doing what you're doing.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those of you who mentioned apps to track your menstrual cycle, that's an awesome idea.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Kudos for you for tracking things especially migraines. You can now look back and see what choices you've made that help or hinder those things. Isn't that what doctors want us to do? Know ourselves? Oh well. I also love that whenever someone does something a little bit odd they get slapped with a mental illness. What a great message to send! <sarcasm>

Last time I was at the doctors I had been complaining of dizziness and general woozy feelings that meant I couldn't stand up for long periods of time and do my job in retail. The doctor told me to eat more nuts and snacks because naturally our bodies get tired when they are put under "stress" (I'm a uni student and work two jobs). Haha. I went to a different clinic and ended up diagnosed with vertigo. He was horrified to hear about my first encounter and quickly handed me a script for necessary medication. I was back at work the next week.

Use your own judgement when doctors are concerned :) Keep tracking!
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't think people with OCD are freaks. Let's clear that up. I just found it strange that a doctor that in theory needs data to do a job found my notebook out of the normal.

I am seeing a new doctor for another opinion in a few weeks.

I started keeping the logbook as an experiment. It sort of evolved from a weight thing to a whole health approach after a terminal illness I watched from start to finish in a family member. I had a lot of time on my hands while keeping vigil through the end of life care we provided.

It really evolved after my mentally ill daughter was advised to track her own physical reactions to food and medication. I had to do it for her and it seemed like it was of benefit to her doctors so I did one for me too.

I found fried foods trigger migraines, too much artificial sweetners did too. I managed to rid myself of those because of the journals.

I should mention data keeping is my job. I am a lab tech for a water treatment plant. I deal in data, lots of data day in and out for 8 or more hours a day. I am also very good at it.

I honestly felt like it was a good thing until the reaction I got.

tracking the periods, I have found I have to eat slightly more and drink more water 15 days after last start to avoid bloat and a migraine. I have found out a lot about how that influences the migraines.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My dr would be jumping for joy at such notes. lol..that is why I love him. As for tracking why does that sound odd. When I was 12 I suffered from awful awful migraines. My dr. then SENT me home with a log book and I had to log everything I did and ate for 30 days circle the days I got the migraines on. From this she concluded it came from chocolate. Once the chocolate went bye bye the headaches did as well.
    Fast forward to 1993 when I had my daughter..since then I can eat chocolate..go figure out the wonderful world of hormones..lol..

Find a new dr and fast..
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My doctor and nurse at asthma clinic were bowled over by my using this app and asked to see it online - since then they have recommended it to others and told me so at subsequent visits. I think your doctor is not up with modern technology! There are apps and gadgets to measure everything!
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My husband and I would drive your doctor crazy! We weigh every day and keep charts and graphs of our progress, and discuss and compare them (and yes, I also track my TOM on mine). But hey, it's working. Hubbie has lost 100 lbs. since last year, and I'm working toward 120. If we had a "normal" relationship with food, we wouldn't be doing it, I guess.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You may have a touch of the OCD but in my opinion everyone does. If this is something your doctor hasn't seen from you before than I can see why it caused her to offer up the professional help but she's just doing her job. Good job keeping track though, I wish I were that organized.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am an RN, and have years of experience with psych patients, as well as having a grand daughter who has a diagnosis of OCD. I would suggest finding a new doctor. She, unfortunately, has the wrong impression, like the general population, that OCD is a condition which causes someone to be extremely organized, like a "neat freak", for example. This is FAR from the truth. True OCD interferes with every aspect of your life. The term OCD is used far too flippantly, and there is a widespread misunderstanding of this disease. Your doctor should have had a rotation in psych during her residency. Apparently, she had very little exposure to people with true OCD, and didn't pay attention to her studies. Most physicians & nurses are excited to see someone who keeps their health information organized! It makes it easier to understand someone's history, and helps to provide better care to our patients. I seriously would try to find another doctor. The action yours took would make me question her competency. I commend you for keeping great records, and being on top of your health!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Good Work OP! I bet your Dr. is secretly checking out MFP this very second! lol :laugh:
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that your doctor was correct BUT if you are recording data daily for over 2 years that can be seen as an obsessive ritual. Weight and cycles are one thing, general health and illnesses does points more towards hypochondria which is often linked with obsessive behaviours. That said it is wonderful that you have tracked this information and eased your migraines.

You say she said "it was a bit out of the norm for a non-medical field person to keep things like this" which is perfectly accurate but that in itself doesn't indicate OCD behaviour. If you can't sleep without having logged, feel pressure to log this information or believe that something bad would happen if you didn't record it those would be typically OCD.

I don't think that's her thinking you are a "weird freak" - nor do I think it helpful to label mental illness in this way. Many people with OCD lead normal lives and there remains a taboo around mental illness that makes people react with shame or criticism when confronted with it.

Congrats on your achievements but please don't be so quick to judge, nor think that what your doctor said came from a negative place; she likely just wanted to help.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    OCD impairs your life. If tracking and logging your health is not destroying your personal relationships or robbing you of your dignity it is just a favorite hobby or project. Benjamin Franklin was well known for documenting every movement of his day on occasion to improve his efficiency. I have several wonderful pts who track their health due their own or a family members health issue. It helps them find patterns and solve problems. The journals make my job very easy. Maybe you have a second calling in the world of clinical research. Have you ever been a research subject? The scientists would love you! I made $800 last Nov as a research subject.
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The Migraine comment at the end, all by itself, is reason enough for such a notebook, aside from any other reasons. That is how doctor's recommend you find out your migraine triggers! Do you see a different doctor for your migraines, because if you don't then there is no reason for this doctor's reaction to your notebook. Since the notebook is multi-functional and tracts more than one health issue, there really isn't enough info for the doctor to decide you are OCD and need a therapist. Your doctor may not be as supportive as a doctor should be when it comes to staying healthy.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If you are familiar with mechanic logs and how they track the well being of a set of equipment. That is how I track this stuff.

weight. If period hits a dot next to the weight for the days it runs. If feeling fine a triangle next to the weight. If not fine, an X next to the weight. followed by brief description of why not fine.

nothing to spectacular. Or so I thought.

I've just been having very diabetic type stuff crop up and wanted to be checked out since it runs in the family hardcore even hitting normal weight members.

Good news is not diabetic.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    eh.. nothing weird, there are worse things to be than a little OCD about cycles and health right?
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You'll be surprised at the number of people that are actually offended by organized people.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    staggers the imagination doesn't it? :ohwell:
  • charliemouse70
    charliemouse70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Lovely, I am the least OCD person around. that book is easier than trying to drive my friends insane with constant updates daily of gain 1 lose 2, gain 1, lose 3....fluctuations. Plus its a great way to keep track of how far I have come. It also helped me track and eliminate migraines down from 5 or more a month to maybe 1 every 3 months.

Now I feel like a freak. thanks for listening to me vent.

To be honest with you, I also thought it seemed obsessive.
    If it's helped you recognise and eliminate migraine triggers I can understand it though.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    1333630489130_3671856.png