My boss buys me a chocolate croissant every Friday...HELP!!

Options
Every Friday in my office is 'croissant Friday'. Before I started my health kick I would happily wolf down my Friday chocolate croissant. However, now I feel really awful eating it and find myself finding excuses to allow me to eat it, e.g. plan out what I'm eating for the rest of the day to see if I have enough calories left to eat the croissant (which is 420kcal - not much will a 1400kcal limit), and assess my calories throughout the week to see if I am under my target enough to be able justify eating it.

I know what you're all going to say - "just don't eat it!!", but when your boss puts it on your desk, it's hard to resist the temptation. I must point out that there are only 2 or 3 people in my office so if I leave it in the kitchen or on my desk and everyone else eats theirs I'm worried I would come across as rude.

I have tried eating just half and leaving the rest but, 1) I get the taste for it and have to eat it all, and 2) The fact he has bought it especially for me (and does EVERY week) I feel bad if I just throw it away.

Any support or advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Why not ask your boss not to buy it because you are trying to eat healthy and want to avoid temptation? Tell him/her you appreciate the thought but you would appreciate it more if they didnt buy one every week. Maybe once a month??
    If they respect you then they respect your wishes.

Every Friday here is Full Fat Friday. Every week the lads buy Chip Shop Chips or KFC etc, I have asked them not to even ask if I want one and since I asked them nobody has.

It is hard to resist when it is staring at you in the face but what do you want more? To lose weight or a chocolate croissant??
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Temptation can be tough and like you, I prefer to either avoid tempting foods or simply allot myself some calories to indulge to my satisfaction. Parsing my food into segments simply doesn't do it for me.

Just tell your boss that you are trying to lose weight and you don't want to eat chocolate croissants.
  • MarkTown
    Options
    Have you tried thanking him?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Why not ask your boss not to buy it because you are trying to eat healthy and want to avoid temptation? Tell him/her you appreciate the thought but you would appreciate it more if they didnt buy one every week. Maybe once a month??
    That's pretty much what I'd do. Enjoy the croissant every now and then if you want to and you can fit it into your day, but it's perfectly reasonable not to have to eat it. Being honest with your boss and making sure he knows you really do appreciate the gesture would be better than just leaving it lying around or throwing it out (and potentially being caught doing so).
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'd eat it and just work out a little more that day but that's just me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I agree, just say it's really nice of you but you're trying to lose weight.

I'd probably make room for it though... yum.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I wish my boss bought me chocolate croissants. you could either exercise more that day, eat only 1/4 or 1/2, or figure in for the whole amount. Since it's every Friday, you have a whole week to plan your croissant strategy!
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to feel left out of the weekly indulgence ask your boss to change yours to a mini chocolate croissant. Then prepare for Friday with a bit of extra exercise on Thursday and plan your Friday breakfast and lunch to fit in the indulgence.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    First of all you have a nice boss, so enjoy that.
    Secondly I would tell my boss how awesome he/she is and then just tell your boss that you are trying to eat healthier please don't purchase it for me.

How about bringing your boss and office mates a healthy yummy alternative that you do eat? Not to convert anyone of course, just to share something you love and can happily enjoy eating
  • MrsJuli4B
    MrsJuli4B Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Every Wednesday is cake day at my work.

I love cake. Any cake.

I skip breakfast on a Wednesday so I can have cake.

IMO if you deprive yourself of something you love you are more likely to fail.

I think my weight loss would have been faster if I had skipped cake, but I wouldn't have been so happy.

If you really enjoy it, then make allowances for it, if you aren't fussed then you need to speak to your boss, I like the suggestions of asking him to bring something smaller, or less frequently.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    First world problems.

Plan for it in your day. Work out more that day, or cut out something else. Even still, a treat every now and again is not going to hurt you.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'd eat it.

You know it's coming, so instead of stressing, thank your boss for his generosity, enjoy the treat as your breakfast, find some time to workout, and you still have plenty of calories left for the rest of the day. Enjoy the croissant! :)
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    budget your calories to eat it if you really enjoy eating it.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    You COULD just tell him you're trying to eat healthy, and the chocolate croissants are delicious and you love them and appreciate the thought that goes into it, but you just can't have them anymore. What I would do is ask that instead of buying you a croissant, he pay it forward, and pays for a croissant for the next person who buys one at the bakery instead of getting you yours. Then he can feel really good about it.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    if you don't want it, say so.

if he must buy you something, ask for a smoothie or something healthier.
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Friday is Pie Day at my lunch table. I love Pie Day. I make room for it.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much what I'd do. Enjoy the croissant every now and then if you want to and you can fit it into your day, but it's perfectly reasonable not to have to eat it. Being honest with your boss and making sure he knows you really do appreciate the gesture would be better than just leaving it lying around or throwing it out (and potentially being caught doing so).

I was thinking this same exact thing.
  • jojo28012
    jojo28012 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would not eat it because sugar first thing in the morning tends to put me on a downward spiral the rest of the day. I just was tempted with donuts, bagels and cupcakes in the mail room. I reluctantly said no.

Remember nothing tastes as good as thin feels. Someone said that on here this week. Love that saying!!!!
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Throw it away and don't let the guilt eat you. It's just a croissant!!!!!! :laugh: It's not like you're throwing away a bar of gold.
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Every Friday here is Full Fat Friday. Every week the lads buy Chip Shop Chips or KFC etc, I have asked them not to even ask if I want one and since I asked them nobody has.

It is hard to resist when it is staring at you in the face but what do you want more? To lose weight or a chocolate croissant??

I agree! ^^^^ If you don't want to waste the calories eating it or can't only eat half then just ask him to stop brining them in for you. My co-workers would constantly bring cookies and chips and other junk in and try to persuade me to take it. I just kindly decline. Every once in awhile I will surprise them by taking something but not often!