Question about strength training

Options
For the last several weeks, I've been focusing on strength training. I got on the scale today, since it's my weigh in day, and over the last several weeks, I've gained 4 lbs. I know that muscle weighs more than fat, but I'm wondering how long it takes for the scales to drop. I know I shouldn't focus so much on the scales, but on the changes that I see and feel, but I guess since I'm slightly over 200 lbs, I assumed I would drop weight first. Any insight?

Replies

• edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    1 - 3 months
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've heard different things from different people but I think that, especially for the first few weeks whilst they adjust, your muscles are (basically) going to go into shock, think you're killing them and hold on to everything they can get.

Have you tried measuring yourself? I find with strength training, I get better results (especially at first) in my inches rather than in my lbs.

Make sure you're sticking to your daily calorie allowance, getting 1lb of protein for every kg of your weight and drinking a SHEDLOAD of water (you're muscles will be holding on to a lot of this!)

Other than that: be patient! It will happen :) and good luck!!
  • Hammie023
    Hammie023 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How much cardio are you doing?

Adding cardio to your strength training will help in seeing a possible weight reduction.

Measurements and body fat percentage are better indicators of your progress than weight alone.

I have noticed that my weight has sort of plateaued as I increase my strength/weight training. However, my body fat % is dropping. This is showing that as I increase my muscle mass, my body fat is being reduced.

IMO, measurements in the mid-section are better than arm and leg since building those muscles could actually increase in size versus what you may have/had when you have excess body fat in those areas. I have noticed this especially in my arms. My arms (bicep/tricep area) are about 1-1.5 inches larger now at 170 pounds versus what they were at 204 pounds.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

Adding cardio to your strength training will help in seeing a possible weight reduction.

Measurements and body fat percentage are better indicators of your progress than weight alone.

I have noticed that my weight has sort of plateaued as I increase my strength/weight training. However, my body fat % is dropping. This is showing that as I increase my muscle mass, my body fat is being reduced.

IMO, measurements in the mid-section are better than arm and leg since building those muscles could actually increase in size versus what you may have/had when you have excess body fat in those areas. I have noticed this especially in my arms. My arms (bicep/tricep area) are about 1-1.5 inches larger now at 170 pounds versus what they were at 204 pounds.

Totally agree with this! I have been at the same weight for what seems like an eternity now, but my lifting has been increasing...take measurements. Just this month I have lost a lot of inches and BF%, which definitely matters more than the number on the scale.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    muscle doesn't weigh more than fat....just to clarify.
    It is more dense.

So 1 lb of muscle and 1 lb of fat will still be 1 pound.

The size of each is what is different.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You probably have not gained 4 lbs of muscle. You probably have not gained or lost. Its probably just fluctuation in water weight. Gaining actual muscle is pretty tough. Most of the time when you initially start weight training the first couple of months you will experience neural adaptation. Once the neural adaptation is done then in order to gain more strength you start to add muscle mass. So when you say you have been lifting several weeks you probably have not gained any muscle.yet.
  • sashanicole88
    sashanicole88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me as well....but I'm being patient to see if it evens out over time. I can tell I'm looking better, though, and that's what counts! :)
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    For the last several weeks, I've been focusing on strength training. I got on the scale today, since it's my weigh in day, and over the last several weeks, I've gained 4 lbs. I know that muscle weighs more than fat, but I'm wondering how long it takes for the scales to drop. I know I shouldn't focus so much on the scales, but on the changes that I see and feel, but I guess since I'm slightly over 200 lbs, I assumed I would drop weight first. Any insight?

Initial water retention from weight lifting can make it seem like you might have gained, if you rely on the scale.

Ditch the scale and take pictures and measurements. Building muscle is hard and requires a surplus. If you are cutting there are very little chances you will actually build muscle, except for the initial noob gain. You will maintain your muscle mass granted you eat enough protein but you most likely won't gain any more. So any added weight on the scale is most likely water weight OR actually weight if you aren't tracking properly and eating too much.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Initial water retention from weight lifting can make it seem like you might have gained, if you rely on the scale.

Ditch the scale and take pictures and measurements. Building muscle is hard and requires a surplus. If you are cutting there are very little chances you will actually build muscle, except for the initial noob gain. You will maintain your muscle mass granted you eat enough protein but you most likely won't gain any more. So any added weight on the scale is most likely water weight OR actually weight if you aren't tracking properly and eating too much.

this.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    It depends completely on your food intake. You can do all the best exercises out there, but unless you're eating at a deficit, you won't lose weight. You don't want too big of a deficit when you're lifting. If you set MFP to lose 1 pound a week (500 calorie deficit) is reasonable if you have a good amount to lose.

When you start a new exercise routine, especially lifting weights, your muscles will retain water as they heal and adjust. This can mask any loss for a few weeks at least. Make sure you have a day between working the same muscle group; I do whole-body workouts so I do light to moderate cardio between each lifting day.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've heard different things from different people but I think that, especially for the first few weeks whilst they adjust, your muscles are (basically) going to go into shock, think you're killing them and hold on to everything they can get.

Have you tried measuring yourself? I find with strength training, I get better results (especially at first) in my inches rather than in my lbs.

Make sure you're sticking to your daily calorie allowance, getting 1lb of protein for every kg of your weight and drinking a SHEDLOAD of water (you're muscles will be holding on to a lot of this!)

1 pound?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It's water retention...

To everyone that said muscle mass, if OP is indeed in a deficit, she's not gaining muscle mass.

The OP is trying to lose weight, thus eating at a deficit. You aren't going to gain muscle (especially a substantial 4lbs worth) while eating in a deficit. Outliers will put on some mass in a deficit, but those are your noob gains and the morbidly obese.

OP is female, a professional body building female will be pressing to put on 4lbs of muscle mass in a calendar year.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Totally agree with this! I have been at the same weight for what seems like an eternity now, but my lifting has been increasing...take measurements. Just this month I have lost a lot of inches and BF%, which definitely matters more than the number on the scale.

An increase in strength does not equate an increase in muscle mass.

If you're increasing muscle mass that much and losing fat, you must market your program. There are professionals abound that would love your secret.
  • Hammie023
    Options
    You are correct 1 pound is 1 pound. The perception that muscle weight more is due to the volume each occupies.

Since muscle has less volume than fat, to gain equal volumes, muscles will have a heavier weight. (That sounds awkward, but I hope you get the point).

I also agree with others about the water retention and eating at a caloric deficit can impact what you see on the scale.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You are correct 1 pound is 1 pound. The perception that muscle weight more is due to the volume each occupies.

Since muscle has less volume than fat, to gain equal volumes, muscles will have a heavier weight. (That sounds awkward, but I hope you get the point).

I also agree with others about the water retention and eating at a caloric deficit can impact what you see on the scale.

1 cubic inch of muscle weighs the same as 1 cubic inch of fat, is that correct?
  • Hammie023
    Options
    I'm not sure if you directed this at me, but since my post was included in your response, I'll comment.

Maybe I did not make my self clear enough, but that is the reason I said "weight" training in addition to strength. I do higher weights with less reps for my weight training and lower weight higher reps for my strength. BTW, I noticed the OP asked about strength training, but sometimes beginners confuse strength with weight. I know I did. ;-)

And it is no secret that lifting weights to increase muscle mass can be done with hard work and over a period of time. I had a good base since I has an athlete when I was younger and was rather muscular. I got a desk job as an adult and let myself go. I happen to be blessed with a good metabolism which has helped me obtain what I have accomplished over the last 18-24 months. I am not on any "one month," "6-week," or other quick fix program. Just a steady regular routine and good eating habits.

Before my recent injury (shattered my wrist in a mountain bike accident), I was at the gym 3 times a week doing some sort of HIIT (for strength), 3 times a week lifting (for mass), and running 3 miles twice a day with my dog (for endurance).

For the past 3 months, I have cut out the lifting and HIIT. My running turned into 2-3 mile walks twice a day (sometimes only one a day). My wrist is finally feeling better and I have started some dumb bell and kettle bell lifting routines. Running 2-3 miles at least once a day and walking 2-3 miles for second time.

It is hard work.

I also try to eat as balanced diet as possible. MFP has really helped with tracking it. It has also helped with learning what various foods contain to help modify my diet to fit my wants/needs.
  • katylil
    Options

1 pound?

No! 1g of protein for every pound of weight. Sorry, my bad!!!! Got it the wrong way round. I'm blaming it on the fact that it's Friday afternoon and I am no longer in concentration mode!!
  • katylil
    Options

1 cubic inch of muscle weighs the same as 1 cubic inch of fat, is that correct?

No. 1 cubic inch of muscle will weigh more than 1 cubic inch of fat because it's denser. You need more muscle to fill a cubic inch of space than you do fat.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    muscle doesn't weigh more than fat....just to clarify.
    It is more dense.

So 1 lb of muscle and 1 lb of fat will still be 1 pound.

The size of each is what is different.
    Actually the unit weight of muscle is greater than the unit weight of fat, so in short people tend to say it weighs more. It's not necessarily incorrect. It's assumed that you are comparing the same volume of each.

To the OP: My weight fluctuates within about 5 lbs every day because of water. You are not going to gain 4 lbs of muscle in a couple weeks, or even fat if you are on a deficit. If you are really worried about the number on the scale, weight yourself more often and track the overall trend. The more you do it the more accurate it will be.
  • JenniferT89
    Options
    We took our body measurements in weight training class, and we are checking them again in six weeks. It's not about your weight, it's about looking a feeling good. I could weight the same that I do now with more muscle and a smaller waist line and be perfectly happy. Buy a tape measure and look up online where you should measure. If you want to look slimmer in your stomach, measure that for sure! Measure again in a few weeks and see where you are at. Ditch the scale. You will know when your body has gone down in fat.
This discussion has been closed.