Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Can some one review valslides for me?

I'm looking at possible getting some, I read about them in New Rule of Lifting for Abs and am curious about them. I try not to jump on the bandwagon for 'gimmicky' fitness stuff, and try to keep to the items that allow for solid fitness benefits. I have dumbbells, a resistance band, a jump rope, a bicycle (for when the weather is good) and a gym membership (for when the weather is bad). I'm a runner, so most of my cardio come from that.

This year, I'm focussing on building up some strength. I love runninging, but doing that alone for so long...I've noticed that I've become weaker in some areas. I have been working with my dumbbells, doing push ups, and planks and I am noticing a positive difference. My question for those who have experience with the valslides... Will they up the difficulty/intensity of my plank work? Are they worth the $30? I saw a girl with a personal trainer at the gym yesterday using them, and the trainer had her do mountain climbers with them-which looked a lot smoother than the jumping version I do.

They also seem like a convenient thing to take on vacation so I don't lose my momentum with this new direction of fitness. Am I being taken in by how fabulous they seem, or are they really as great as the website makes them out to be? http://www.valslide.com

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    They are just furniture sliders, which are sold at home improvement stores for $12. I have a pair, but i don't use them much because my gym has so many other options for exercises. But they're fine for home workouts to add novelty, or, like you said, make some exercises smoother.

I think the foundational tools for home workouts are a set of adjustable dumbbells that are heavy enough, and also heavyish resistance bands that can attach to a door. Then you can do things like the cable punch, cable twist, and dumbbell deadlifts, which eliminate the need to do prone core exercises (which personally i dislike).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    They are just furniture sliders, which are sold at home improvement stores for $12. I have a pair, but i don't use them much because my gym has so many other options for exercises. But they're fine for home workouts to add novelty, or, like you said, make some exercises smoother.

I think the foundational tools for home workouts are a set of adjustable dumbbells that are heavy enough, and also heavyish resistance bands that can attach to a door. Then you can do things like the cable punch, cable twist, and dumbbell deadlifts, which eliminate the need to do prone core exercises (which personally i dislike).

this.

You can use paper plates/towels/ magazine's on wood for sliders as well.

it's not really worth buying a specialized set- the double sided ones for wood/carpet is nice- but meh- can do what you need without the spiffy new toy.
  • girlschmoopie
    girlschmoopie Posts: 140 Member
    Thanks, both of you! Your responses are very helpful!