Turning 40, need new car advice.

Options
TheSwollMinister
TheSwollMinister Posts: 246 Member
I am self employed as a wedding officiant in SoCal Wine Country, and do a lot of vineyard weddings. I need a car that fits both my profession and my style.

I like both cars, but lean towards each one for different reasons.

2012 Audi a4 Prestige S-Line

Love that it's available with a manual transmission, gets 30MPG highway, fun and sporty. Quattro system put it's handling among the best out there and it corners like it's on rails. Fun and luxury all in one. S-Line package is fairly rare and gives it a really sporty look without the extra 10 G's I'd have to throw down for an S4.

About $35,000 for a low mileage CPO.

sline_fr.bmp

sline_rear2.bmp

12240615145_dc5cd24186.jpg

2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Wifey is leaning HEAVILY towards this.

Love that it's pretty unique (really don't see many of these on the road). Love that it gats 45 MPG. Love all the electronic goodies and tech. It's also larger and more comfortable all around than the Audi. Plus it has an Uber-cool full panoramic retractable moon roof!! =)

Certified Pre-owned with all the goodies I want will be about $40,000.

12240925514_6f12effd50.jpg

2013_lincoln_mkz_base_white_platinum_tri_coat_metallic_in_bridgewater_north_carolina_99545666818872471.jpg

12240452735_8e58895a53_z.jpg

So I should probably drive about 12,000 miles a year or so. Which car should I get, and why?

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Why not a Humvee??
  • taoistpunk
    taoistpunk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    always audi...always
  • tosullivan
    tosullivan Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    LEXUS GS450h
  • californiabella
    Options
    happy wife = happy life.

that audi though. it's so pretty.

interesting... I grew up in "so cal wine country".

anyway, I vote Lincoln [ETA] for the practicality of it and the moon roof. Moon roof always wins.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I used to have an Audi a4. I liked it, but it didn't come with all sorts of stuff. I like stuff in my vehicles. Like I want them to park themselves.
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    My vote goes to the LINCOLN!! Make the wifey happy...she will in turn make you happy
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    My advice is never buy a new car. Find a reliable used one that you can pay cash for. But I'm pragmatic like that.
  • cyclist_44060
    cyclist_44060 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    always audi...always

This......
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Do not buy an Audi. The maintenance on them is stupid. MAYBE get the Lincoln; it's just a more expensive version of the Fusion, but it's nice. Here's my suggestion: A 2014 Mazda6. Sure, it maxes out at $33K and isn't luxury, but it gets 40 on the highway, handles like a sports sedan and looks like a million bucks.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love my Honda accord!
  • HDHogger
    HDHogger Posts: 764
    Options
    Why not a Humvee??

Definitely a Hummer but it would have to be one of the first ones that came out like the military uses. You could be like Arnold

It was easier than I thought it would be agreeing on something with Sinisterly.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    always audi...always

This......

WHY??? It's a BMW with the quality of a Volkswagen.
  • Dan_Druff
    Dan_Druff Posts: 104
    Options
    Mazda Miata. The ultimate old guy car.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Audi's are slick cars but they are high maintenance. There's a reason their lease rates have such low residuals. Stylish cars but more expensive than their MSRP would let on.

Have you considered an Infiniti or BMW? Honestly I find the 3 series (or the new 4 series) BMWs are quite nice, although I'm more of an Infiniti guy at the end of the day. Both sedans are solid though, although the hard top convertibles are where it's at. :wink:
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Audi! Cannot fault a german car
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I love German engineering...would prefer a BMW but would opt for the Audi in this case.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Confined to just those two choices, I'd have to go with the Lincoln. I've heard to many bad Audi stories. Too bad, because they make neat cars. No chance of a BMW? If I was buying something along those lines I'd be checking them out. Or a Lexus? I hear that Lincoln is actually really, really cool, though.
  • JefferyArnold
    JefferyArnold Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you decide which car fits what you are looking for within your budget. What I mean is, both cars are nice looking cars. As for reliability, previous Audi's had issues with their motors, but that was the A3s and the previous generation. Hybrid vehicles have also had reliability issues. Really, any car will break down.

Now, deep down, I'm a car person and have to say this... Drive them both and see what fits you and the wife best for feel and comfort. Once you have that in place, look at what the insurance costs will be and the fuel costs. Finally, look at what the cost of ownership will be... Audi, being AWD will be very expensive to fix, but so are hybrid vehicles... Weigh all of these and decide from your pros and cons.

Honestly, I like the Audi and would have got it over my BMW 328i, except my girlfriend wanted a 'Beemer'... Personally, it just doesn't yell "This is MY car"...

I can also say buy Audi, only because they own Ducati and I own one of them. :)
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    This is not even a question. Always German.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    WHY??? It's a BMW with the quality of a Volkswagen.

WUT.