Is it a bad idea to weigh yourself everyday

Options
123457»

Replies

• kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I dont obsess about it. For me, its about the average.

I wake up, weigh myself, and write it down on a calendar. On saturdays, I use a calculator to take the average for the week, and I put that number into excel to see my progress on a graph.

Whats important about weighing yourself is to understand that you will go up and down daily. Some days you wake up with food from last night still digesting. Some days you are bloated. And some days you are right where you want to be, physically. So the weigh will fluctuate even when you super control the settings (same time, same clothes, same scale). Thats why its better to take an average - this tells you that even though you wieghed 170-173 during the week, your average was 171.5 (or whatever).
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Based on what you've said about a higher number being "disheartening", I would say your best bet is to do the once a week measurement. Make sure you measure the same WAY each week:
    1) Pick a time that works for you (first thing in the morning, last thing before bed, right after your workout, whatever) and stick to it.
    2) Do it the same way..if you weigh with shoes on, ALWAYS wear them..if barefoot, always barefoot... etc etc

I also agree that you want more than one way to measure progress...the mirror, pictures, neck/waist/hips measurements, the way your clothes are fitting, speed for a mile on the treadmill and/or amount of weight you can lift, etc etc etc.
  • music815
    Options
    You don't want to become obsessed with the number. Myself and Fiancé weigh in once a week to see if we lost weight or at least kept last weeks number down. Good luck, you will see the improvements before you know it! ????
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't even own a scale. I weigh in every two months at the doctors office, if I remember. My opinion of myself does not ride on some numbers on a scale, besides this journey is about more than pounds lost.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Good lord people. weigh yourself when you want. My shorts being tough to button is my my scale.:)
  • ravenforest3009
    ravenforest3009 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    its a bad idea, as your weight fluctuates too much
    golden rule:
    once a week
    same scales
    same clothes
    same time of day
    all that equals correct data and a peaceful mind