Cottage Cheese

Replies

• nicor44
    nicor44 Posts: 26 Member
    Growing up, my dad always ate it with pickled beets. Can't say I'm a fan of that combo, but he loved it.
    A coworker eats it with tuna and chopped up celery.

Personally, I prefer it savory, just some fresh ground pepper on top.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    I went through a phase where I had it with red bell pepper. it added just enough flavor and crunch. :)
  • Annie81503
    Annie81503 Posts: 43 Member
    I like it with different fruit like apples, peaches, grapes....also i will have it with tomatoes instead sometimes
  • 67butterfly
    67butterfly Posts: 76 Member
    I top a baked potato with cottage cheese, and Lawry's seasoned salt. I love pears with cottage cheese also.
    :happy:
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 152 Member
    I like it with fresh pineapple, peaches, or mango. My mom used to make us cottage cheese pancakes for a healthy breakfast for dinner. For savory, I like to have it on toast with lots of fresh cracked pepper. I also like it with salsa.
  • cooper21120
    cooper21120 Posts: 34 Member
    Not sure I should have started this topic late at night, these ideas are all great and it's making me hungry!
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Cinnamon is one of my favorite things to add because it adds great flavor without the calories. People around here like peaches with it too, I'm just not a fan of peaches. Blueberries and black berries I like too. And fig preserves, but that's a lot of sugar :)
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    My husband puts Splenda in it, about 2 or 3 tablespoons per cup. I think it sounds awful, but he SWEARS by the taste.
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    I use it as a cheese substitute. It's delicious in scrambled eggs. Makes them creamy :)

This little recipe is also one of my favs
    Cottage Cheese
    Tomatoes
    Avocados
    Cucumbers
    Cracked Black Pepper

Just chop the veggies and throw them in. And pepper to taste. I eat it for lunch quite often. SO yummy! :)
  • cooper21120
    I use it as a cheese substitute. It's delicious in scrambled eggs. Makes them creamy :)

This little recipe is also one of my favs
    Cottage Cheese
    Tomatoes
    Avocados
    Cucumbers
    Cracked Black Pepper

Just chop the veggies and throw them in. And pepper to taste. I eat it for lunch quite often. SO yummy! :)

Why have I never thought of scrambled eggs before, I'm a bit picky about how food feels but they are basically the same texture!
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 151 Member
    My teacher's aide eats it with cottage cheese. I'm sticking with fruit!! :laugh:
  • I like fruit with it - pineapple and strawberries are my fave additions

Have you tried it with apple? What are the textures like together? I usually play safe and stay savoury trying to make myself try new tastes this year though!

I LOVE my cottage cheese with apple and with a dash of cinnamon. Yum!
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    I can only only really eat it in a salad. :ohwell:
  • cooper21120
    Has anyone ever tried it with a little bit of lemon curd? If so what's that like?
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    For a dessert, my favorite is a cottage cheese pudding (works best with a small food processor):

One serving of cottage cheese
    Two tablespoons of sugar free instant pudding (flavor of your choice)
    A tablespoon or two of milk, depending on how thick or thin you like it.

Pulse the processor until smooth. Spoon into a small bowl with a squirt of whipped cream and you have a nice, delicious, high protein dessert. The nice part is that you can make any flavor you like based on what flavors of instant pudding you can find.
  • cooper21120
    For a dessert, my favorite is a cottage cheese pudding (works best with a small food processor):

One serving of cottage cheese
    Two tablespoons of sugar free instant pudding (flavor of your choice)
    A tablespoon or two of milk, depending on how thick or thin you like it.

Pulse the processor until smooth. Spoon into a small bowl with a squirt of whipped cream and you have a nice, delicious, high protein dessert. The nice part is that you can make any flavor you like based on what flavors of instant pudding you can find.

I have never heard of instant pudding, I don't think we can get that here, which is a shame because that sounds delicious!
  • sauci
    sauci Posts: 94 Member
    I like fruit with it - pineapple and strawberries are my fave additions

Have you tried it with apple? What are the textures like together? I usually play safe and stay savoury trying to make myself try new tastes this year though!

apple -yum pineapple-yum strawberry is now on the to try list
  • I've never been a huge cottage cheese fan but sometimes I struggle to get in all of my protein so I have been planning on buying some during my next trip to the grocery store. I love all of these ideas and would have never though of about 95% of them! Thank you for this post! I would really love the cottage cheese pancake recipe... I'll have to see if I can find something similar online.
  • sauci
    sauci Posts: 94 Member
    also love with fresh basil, parsley or chives:love:
  • cooper21120
    I found this one early when I was looking for ideas

http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-cottage-cheese-pancakes-43072