I'm looking for yummy and EASY fish recipes

Options
ebayaddict0127
ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
My husband says he doesn't like fish, but I just don't think he's had it prepared and cooked properly. His cholesterol and triglycerides are SUPER high and I want us to start eating fish twice a week. (My cholesterol is high too).

Looking for yummy fish recipes! Specifically - salmon, mackerel, trout, etc. (those with high Omega-3 counts)

Replies

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Poaching or baking are good ways to cook fish without adding tons of fat. So is grilling (wrap a bit of fish and some veggies in foil).
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    This is my Chinese mom's amazing fish recipe. I call it fish bonne femme, Chinese style. Very easy too. You don't have to worry about accidentally breaking the fish, because the herb sauce disguises any errors. Quantities for four people,

Finely dice a bunch of spring onion and a cubic inch or fresh ginger. This can be done several hours in advance. If setting aside for a few hours place the ginger in a bowl and cover with the green onion, so that that the ginger doesn't oxidize and turn grey.

When you want to eat, preheat the oven to a low temperature keep the fish warm. Cook the fish in acidulated water until done or in the microwave. My mom would use whole carp, but frozen tilapia fillets work well too. I've done this recipe with almost any fish. Whole salmon trout was a particular favourite. Place cooked fish in a deep serving dish or a plate with a lip.

Pour on a few lashings of soy sauce, a pinch of sugar, a dash of dry vermouth or saki or white wine. Sprinkle over the onion and ginger mixture. Keep fish warm in the low oven while you complete the last step.

In a small saucepan, heat 1/3 cup of olive oil as hot as you can get it. When it is just starting to smoke, take it off the heat. Bring the fish to the table. Carefullly pour the hot oil over the ginger and onion mixture to contact fry and blend the flavours. There will be a lot of dramatic sizzling noises.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Another dish for people who think they don't like fish.

Dredge fish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in olive oil or butter. Serve with salsa, salse verde or chimchurri.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rawsalsa_81423
    http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/salsa-verde-1149
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chimichurri/
  • acpgee
    Options
    While seasoning the ginger and green onion fish, I forgot to add something acidic. Along with the soy sauce, alcohol and sugar, squeeze half a lemon or add a tablespoon or two of vinegar.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas :)
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I have hated seafood all my life and only recently decided to give it a try. I have only gotten as far as tilapia and the flavor is so mild you actually HAVE to season it to get some taste. I understand its that way with alot of the white fish.

I put mine on a baking sheet and bake it with pineapple or mango salsa on top. tastes great and now i eat it at least once a week. I have also used a cajun seasoning too.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Grill or bake Salmon. When cooking Salmon, always START with the flesh side down and the skin side up. This is so that it is easy to take the fish off the pan/grill when done - the skin gets left behind! While cooking, combine 1/2 cup orange marmalade and juice of one juicy lime (or lemon) in a small saucepan. Cook on medium heat to reduce slighty. Pour over fish when done. Salmon is also great just done in a pan with salt, pepper and maybe a dash of Thyme.

For Haddock or Cod, I bake it with a yummy topping. For 1 lb. of fish, take 8-10 Ritz crackers and crush them in a plastic bag with a rolling pin and then put them in a small bowl. Add salt, pepper, a dash of garlic powder, and 2 TBS. melted butter. Mix to combine and then sprikle over fish. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. It is really yummy.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I like fixing my fish on the stove top. I'll put just enough butter in bottom so the fish won't stick or burn. I salt and pepper them and my son likes seasoning salt on them. We like to sauté onions with the fish also.
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Best fish ever with a bonus of being crazy fast and easy. Just a few minutes from prep to table. I found this at Eating Well.

Five Spice Tilapia

1 pound tilapia fillets
    1-2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
    1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar or equivalent
    1 tablespoon canola oil

Sprinkle both sides of tilapia fillets with five-spice powder. Combine soy sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl.
    Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tilapia and cook until the outer edges are opaque, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, turn the fish over, stir the soy mixture and pour into the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook until the fish is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes more.. Serve the fish drizzled with the pan sauce.
  • doheed
    doheed Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Gravadlax - Take a side of Salmon, cut it in two pieces. Mix three parts sea salt with one part caster sugar and a liberal amount of dill. Coat the flesh of the salmon in the mixture until it is completely covered. Place the two pieces flesh side together and wrap in cling film tightly. Place in an open tub in the fridge for 48 hours turning occasionally, maybe three four times a day. Remove from fridge, wash off excess mixture with water and pat dry. Then you'll have some awesome cured Salmon that'll last about a week. Slice thinly to eat. You'll get some sauce recipes online if you want.
  • Monicalucy
    Monicalucy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tilapia, cut into cubes & dredged in fish crisp or seasoned flour. Pan fry in coconut or olive oil about 3 minutes. Take it out & saute minced garlic & ginger 1 minute. Add you favorite stir-fry veg for another 3 minutes. Stir in a little oyster or hoisin sauce. Plate with your crispy tilapia...my kids even like this! Hubby likes a drizzle of sweet chili sauce over all. This dinner is great & under 10 minutes to make!
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!!
  • gostblader
    Options
    I just buy a big bag of frozen COD myself, defrost a fish, melt it up in some Raw unprocesssed Butter, then sprinkle it with some Cinnamon powder, Lemon and Honey. Delicious
    If you want you can bread it up in some corn meal too , but generally i just like it grilled on its own :D
    Serve it up with some Kale, and a tall glass of Whole milk, thats the paleo life :D
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Another dish for people who think they don't like fish.

Dredge fish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in olive oil or butter. Serve with salsa, salse verde or chimchurri.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rawsalsa_81423
    http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/salsa-verde-1149
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chimichurri/

I love your contact frying method - must try!

With the pan frying - if you want to avoid flour you could also use chickpea flour (besan) and then fry in coconut oil or a neutral oil such as safflower or grapeseed. My kids really love fish this way, and they used to claim to not like fish. I put the salt on at the end. I normally do this with white fish such as hake haddock halibut etc when if my kids are eating since they like it mild. I'm slowly graduating them to stronger flavours though...
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I love fish. The trick with cooking it is not to overcook it. It is done when the flesh begins to flake, after this point it just starts to dry out. Here are some ways I cook fish:

wrapped in tinfoil with a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil and a little salt and pepper, bake for around 10 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fillet)
    Grilled. While it is cooking combine soy sauce, ginger, spring onions and pour over cooked fish.
    yesterday I made a fish curry - heat curry paste and add light coconut milk. Add loads of veg and a few minutes before everything is cooked add some chopped fish pieces (i normally just buy the 'fish pie mix' from the fishmonger). the fish cooks very quickly this way. then just add a squeeze of lemon and serve over rice.
    My absolute favourite way to cook most fish is to fry it in a little olive oil or butter. Cook it skin side down and let it cook through so that the skin becomes yummy and crispy. This is lovely served with stir fried veg and rice with a little soy sauce. Its also very low in calories.
  • goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm only just starting to eat fish (never really liked the taste, but I'm trying to learn to like it) so the only recipe I've got so far that I looooove is this:

I used cod, but you could probably use any white fish.
    - Chop up some onion and garlic, soften it in a pan.
    - Pour tinned chopped tomatoes into pan, add some Worchester sauce, Italian herbs and pepper (chilli if you feel like it).
    - Pour this into a pyrex dish or casserole dish, lay the fish on top, cook for about 20-30 mins (not sure what temp as I used an Aga)

Also - you can either add this to the chopped tomato mix, or cook it separately (if you add it to the chopped tomato mix, be wary as the mushrooms tend to give off a lot of liquid) - sliced mushrooms, courgette and red pepper.

Serve with salad and either rice, chips or potato. :)
  • snow00774
    Options
    His palate will also influence how he likes the fish served, for years people kept trying to serve it to me with sweet based accompaniments that just made me hate it even more. For a long time I would only eat fish that captain highliner had had his way with, with yummy batter and deep fried.

It turns out I'm much more a salty/savoury girl than a sweet one ;) So last year I was determined to 'get into fish' and have now been regularly eating cod/haddock/tilapia/pickerel (any of the white fish, this summer I'll work up to salmon maybe).

I spray a non stick pan with a quick spritz of Pam, lay the fish down and sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning from costco, just a light sprinkle but enough to leave a bit on there. Then I pour some lemon or lime juice in the pan (whichever is handiest). Leave for a few minutes, let it bubble away, then when almost done, flip the fish and leave for a minute or two so the seasoning gets a bit crusty but not burned or anything.

Dee.Lish.Us.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    served my husband talapia last night and he kept saying this is really good! It has taken me 25 years to convince him to try fish without beer batter on it lol

frozen talapia fillets following microwave instructions ~ used a very small amt of butter and lightly sprinkled with club house vegetable seasoning. served with a little brown rice/quinoa and asparagus, Doesn't get easier or yummier.