Healthy to eat the SAME thing everyday?

Options
After tracking my diet this week, I notice that I've fallen into a routine that involves me eating the same thing for breakfast & lunch, as well as the same snacks. Is this healthy? I'm still way under my calorie I take, but I'm just wondering if my body will become accustomed to the same food and it'll have a negative effect. Thoughts?

Feel free to add !!

Replies

• bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    As long as it is well proportioned and you are getting all your nutrients I think it would be okay but it might get boring.
  • ainokea8
    Options
    If by accustomed you mean you think that your body will gain weight if you eat anything else, I don't think that's true. As long as whatever else you eat is the same caloric value as what you're eating now, you shouldn't gain weight.

But I think that the only way it is unhealthy is that you're not getting much variety so you're not getting the full nutrients your body needs. But of course, this will only happen if you eat the same thing for a very prolonged period of time. So I guess for now it's okay, but try to switch it up in the long run.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    During the week my breakfast, morning snack and lunch are usually the same too. I don't worry about it because mine are healthy choices just not varied. Dinner is usually the only meal that changes for me. Weekends are a different story.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Will not effect weight loss, just maybe the variety of nutrients your body may get.

It is easy to fall into a routine, just maybe try switching up a snack every couple days and a few times a week try something different for lunch or breakfast. Variety is the spice of life as they say.
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Not uncommon, a lot of us do that. I try to mix it up when I shop to avoid that rut. Always trying to eat from the rainbow helps mix things up too.
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    the only problem I see is getting bored with the same thing all the time, and then going a little wacko and going over your caloric allotment.
    I know it can be difficult to plan meals but Iwill try to switch it up. Breakfast might be the same all the time but for lunch I might have last nights left overs and for dinner I can will roast a chicken then I can make chicken taco salad, fritatta's or soup for later meals. Also for breakfast tomorrow I paln on running 3 miles then having bacon and eggs for breakfast.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    as long as there's some variety i dont see why it wouldnt be unhealthy.

i personally like eating the same things just about every day 1)because it makes grocery shopping easy 2) i'm eating things i really really like so i could never get tired of them 3) i've never been the type of person who needs to constantly eat something different

not to mention our ancestors seemed to be OK with it since we're here now. in 2013 we have an illusion of needing to have a varied diet but just think that even as soon as 50 years ago people had nowhere near the variety that we have now. i know my great grandparents ate the same thing for decades
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    variety is the spice of life and studies have shown the body needs variety as well and "routine" will not be the healthy choice....

I know that for me... to achieve my fat loss goals, routine makes it easier and cheaper.. but balancing out the "healthy variety" with a routine for my sanity and wallet is my ultimate measure of success. :flowerforyou:
  • samfelder
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone !! I think I'm just so used to routine, so I just have to make a conscious effort to switch it up. For the most part I think my diets kinda balanced as my dinners change & weekends are completely diff. Do you all find it easier to make lunches & snacks ahead of time for the week?

*slightly offtopic, I'm super deficient in Vitamin D...doc prescribed me pills to boost it up. Any good foods that are high in Vit D that are healthy?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends what you mean by " a routine that involves me eating the same thing for breakfast & lunch, as well as the same snacks"

If you mean breakfast, lunch and snacks are all carrot sticks or bananas or any other single food - then I imagine you would be missing out on important nutrients.

however if you mean something like breakfast is always toast and jam, snacks are always fresh fruit, lunch is always a can of tuna, a salad sandwich and a yogurt - then I cant see a problem.
  • samfelder
    Options
    Also like mentioned I buy everything in bulk, it's just so much cheaper ! Groceries are SOOOOOOO expensive, and Ofc everything healthier is just that much more expensive
  • samfelder
    Options
    I guess it depends what you mean by " a routine that involves me eating the same thing for breakfast & lunch, as well as the same snacks"

If you mean breakfast, lunch and snacks are all carrot sticks or bananas or any other single food - then I imagine you would be missing out on important nutrients.

however if you mean something like breakfast is always toast and jam, snacks are always fresh fruit, lunch is always a can of tuna, a salad sandwich and a yogurt - then I cant see a problem.

Hmmm well for breakfast I'll eat one pack of oatmeal with a banana sliced & mixed in
    Lunch is a turkey & provolone sandwich on whole wheat
    Snacks are usually apples, yogurt, granola, occasional Kellogg shake
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same things every day, eggs for breakfast, beans for lunch, popcorn and dark chocolate for snack, avocados and tomatoes ... but it's not because I restrict my diet, I am just a creature of habit and those are my favorite foods. About once a week I will make something unusual like a stir-fry or seafood just to get myself thinking of new recipes.

I eat 1600-2000 calories a day and lose weight, so just make sure you aren't eating too little and you'll be fine.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options

Hmmm well for breakfast I'll eat one pack of oatmeal with a banana sliced & mixed in
    Lunch is a turkey & provolone sandwich on whole wheat
    Snacks are usually apples, yogurt, granola, occasional Kellogg shake

I don't know what provolone is - but this sounds fine to me - you are getting a variety of foods, even if in same combinations every day.
    Some people like more variety than others - if this is suiting you, stick with it, I say.
  • mmargarette
    mmargarette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I eat the same meals everyday except weekends and I don't get bored with them because I make sure they taste good and I know they're good for me. Mind over matter. :)
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Some bulk salad greens (baby spinach, kale , mixed greens) with some staples on hand such as kideny, garbonzo, black beans, differnet veg, boiled eggs, left over protien from the night before, apples, oranges can make for different and varied salads every day
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm a creature of habit and 5 days a week at work, lunch is a green salad, brought from home, with the same salad dressing I keep at the office. Breakfast is a slice of plain toast. Snacks are the same, too. Only dinner varies. I've been like this for years. It may help that I get a decent mix of things for dinner and I take a multivitamin, but it's worked for me.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I actually found that eating the same thing Monday through Friday helped me a lot with my weight and fitness goals as well as meal planning and food budgeting. From time to time I have to adjust my routine for unusual things, but otherwise, I love it! I never realized how much time I wasted just figuring out what to have for lunch until now. Ever so often I change up my weekly meal plan so I do get variety in that way. Otherwise I just wait for the weekend and change things up then so it's never boring for me.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    the only thing i can think of, is for people with eating disorders trying to recover can take the joy out of eating, possibly causing wanting to restrict again and losing interest in food (that's what i was told in treatment anyway by the doc). for anyone without disordered eating, i don't think it would do anything bad to you except maybe become boring after a while
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I certainly hope so! Because if eating eggos and goldfish every day is unhealthy then I'm doomed... :indifferent: