Local man loses weight by eating less!

Options
http://www.mercurynews.com/health/ci_25030428/my-weight-loss-story-portion-control-drops-pounds?source=most_viewed

Why does that news story sound like a satirical article from "The Onion"

"Dave Satre lost weight just by eating less."

Good for him, and more people should probably follow (including me) ... but how does this pass for news!!?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    http://www.mercurynews.com/health/ci_25030428/my-weight-loss-story-portion-control-drops-pounds?source=most_viewed

Why does that news story sound like a satirical article from "The Onion"

"Dave Satre lost weight just by eating less."

Good for him, and more people should probably follow (including me) ... but how does this pass for news!!?

without reading the article...You'd be astounded how many people think that weight loss requires pills or cutting out certain foods.

Nope, a simple calorie deficit is all that is needed.
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    it's funny how many people do not believe this works!! hahaha
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    And he is 75 years old too....

`I simply started eating less. I switched from large plates and bowls to small ones, the theory being, if you eat less you can shrink your stomach and still enjoy the feeling of fullness, which is what we all tend to seek, with a lot less food. I still eat whatever I want but tend to eat fresh, healthy foods. For example, I haven't eaten frozen dinners.

It took me two years to achieve my initial goal, which was 200 pounds, but I still maintain the practice. I eventually reached 175 pounds, which my doctor claims is an ideal weight for a person my age`

What a lovely story thank you for sharing.

I think the intent of the article is much the same as the success thread here - to provide motivation to others.
  • bethterry1
    Options
    I was expecting an Onion story too when I read your title link over on the sidebar.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    How much does it cost to do this?

Screw you Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers!
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The best excuse I heard is I can't afford to go on a diet.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    No, this was the Obvious News Network, easily confused as they are both ONN abbreviated. ;)

In other news, local man gets exercise by moving around and being active!