Cottage Cheese

Options

Replies

• lyeats44
    lyeats44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mix with green onion, pepper, and a bit of chilli powder:)
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, but I've recently fallen in love with ricotta cheese. I've gotten the Kroger brand and have eaten it plain. It's not as salty as cottage cheese and has a different texture, but it has just as much protein and I prefer the taste of it. I've also gotten Lamagna brand lite ricotta cheese. The texture is nearly identical to that of yogurt, but without the tangy sour taste found in plain yogurt. I mix it with a half serving of instant coffee and it tastes SO GOOD. It's like a naughty dessert that actually helps me fill my protein macro.
  • mkitlinski
    mkitlinski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just ate some on top of a baked potato. It's not a dessert obviously, but its a super quick and good dinner! The cottage cheese blends so well with the texture of the potato and replaces the need for butter, sour cream, cheese, etc.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like it with diced tomatoes, avocado, and sliced cucumbers and then drizzled with a bit of Catalina dressing.

My family has a favorite dip made with cottage cheese:

Calico Dip

1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    1 cup light sour cream
    1/2 cup light mayonnaise
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 cup green onion minced
    1/4 cup radishes, minced
    1/4 cup cucumber, minced
    1/4 cup green pepper, finely diced
    1 garlic clove, minced

1. Combine cottage cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise. Add in sugar (if using), salt, minced garlic, and all the veggies. Stir well and refrigerate for at least an hour to blend flavors.

2. Serve with celery sticks, carrot sticks, or any other veggie dippers -- great with potato chips too!

Servings: 8

Cooking Times
    Preparation Time: 30 minutes

Nutrition Facts
    Serving size: 1/8 of a recipe (2.9 ounces).
    Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
    Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 136.1
    Calories From Fat (71%) 96.23
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 10.93g 17%
    Saturated Fat 4.22g 21%
    Cholesterol 20.67mg 7%
    Sodium 223.97mg 9%
    Potassium 106.49mg 3%
    Total Carbohydrates 7.44g 2%
    Fiber 0.19g <1%
    Sugar 2.5g
    Protein 2.91g 6%
  • runmamarun7
    runmamarun7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Honestly I am so glad you started this thread, I am totally addicted to cottage cheese. I love the idea of having it as dessert. I usually cut up a tomato and have it with some low fat pita chips for lunch. That dip sounds fab
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cottage cheese! I could eat it with just about anything, I think. (Ok, maybe not ice cream....)

I like to add it as a side to almost any main meal that has a tomato-ey or spicy sauce in it. We also like it with pizza (my husband and kids actually put it ON their pizza sometimes!), and different casseroles. Like others said, it's really good on baked potatoes, instead of sour cream, (along with some crumbled bacon and a little cheese...mmm). It also works in soups where you would use sour cream.

For something sweet, I like it with fruit. (Sometimes, I microwave a cut-up apple until it's tender and then put cottage cheese and cinnamon on it for a little bit of comfort food.) Applesauce is good, too!
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I find 1%, 2% contains too much salt, so I prefer the Dry Curd. Gross on it's own, so I mix it with 0% Plain Greek Yogurt and mix in my protein powder. Perfect night snack.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I mix pumpkin puree , stevia and cinnamon into my cottage cheese, it kinda tastes like pumpkin cheesecake.
  • rvrstone
    rvrstone Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My mom has always made cottage cheese with green onions and pepper.
    I have a recipe from South Beach that is made with ricotta but I don't see why you can't make it with cottage cheese. Mocha Creme - 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 package sugar substitute, Dash espresso powder and 5 mini chocolate chips. When I make it I skip the coffee flavor because I am not a fan but it tastes pretty good without.
    South Beach also includes a recipe with lemon zest, vanilla extract and a bit of sugar, so your lemon curd idea may be a good flavour.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I eat my cottage cheese with frozen berries (rasp, blue, black, strawberries). I put my cottage cheese in a plastic container the night before, add the frozen berries and some Splenda and leave it in the fridge overnight. By morning, the berries have thawed, but are still kinda firm and crunchy. Yummy breakfast!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Pineapple Salsa or Sliced Tomatoes
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I have mine with saltine crackers or canned peaches.
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sgagne01
    Options
    I just mix fruit in it. Pineapple is my favorite : )
  • Jocampgrl
    Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    mix it with cocoa powder and sugar substitute. or with a little jam/jelly
  • Jocampgrl
    Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    also, mix one container with one package of sugar free jello (dry) and some canned whipped cream. Delicious!!! though no one believes me.
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    my favorite is with pineapple! mmm so good.
  • cafetelae84
    Options
    I like to count out a serving size of Pretzel thins and scoop up with cottage cheese. Sometimes adding a slice of sundried tomato un top. Sounds weird, but surprisingly tasty!
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I mix pumpkin puree , stevia and cinnamon into my cottage cheese, it kinda tastes like pumpkin cheesecake.

I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THIS! Love this thread!

I use Great Value 1% small curd low fat cottage cheese with Smucker' s sugar free seedless strawberry jam and two packets of Equal. It s divine!
  • mypersonalfitnessjourney
    Options
    I sweeten mine with vanilla extract, Truvia, and cinnamon.