Partial range of motion, or knee push-ups?

Options
I'm wondering which is better, partial range or pushups on knees with full range?

The reason I ask, is because I have a strain on my front left side around the waist. I went to the doctor, and it's not a hernia, too low for an abdominal hernia and too high for an inguinal hernia.

I was cleared to do basically whatever as long as I wasn't in pain. He even said that doing some limited range pushups may help strengthen that area.

So after spending the past week resting and testing what I could and couldn't do, I found that pushups on the knees I can do with full range of motion, no pulling or pain. Regular pushups, I have limited range of motion, can go down 7-8 inches or so for about 8-9 reps before starting to feel it.

So....on knees, no pain, as many as I want, full range of motion. Plank position, 7-8 inches down, 8-9 reps before I start to feel it and have to rest for a minute before going on again.

Thoughts?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    What about full range against a wall?
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    not sure if my form against the wall is correct, but yeah, I can do that
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I'm in the military and we have to do pushups for our fitness tests. Doing knee pushups with proper range of motion will strengthen the muscles that are too weak for you to do full range on your toes. You'll eventually work up the strength to do full range on your toes. By staying on your toes and going shallow you're avoiding the weakness. Good luck to you!
  • joehempel
    Options
    I just don't feel like I get any sort of workout with being on the knees.

But it's good to know...I've heard it both ways about which is better.

Once this strain heals up, I'll be back to doing the full pushups
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Try gradually adding increasing weight whilst doing your knee push ups. Have someone push down on you slightly to add resistance or a rucksack filled with everyday household items.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    My preference is that people should do full-plank push-ups through a full range of motion. If one cannot do that, I think it is better to modify the resistance than to modify the form. You can use various surfaces (wall, chair, step) to modify the push up angle so that it is easier and a load you can tolerate.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If you can do wall pushups with no pain then try stair pushups. Start with your feet at bottom of steps and put hands on whatever step fits comfortably for your height. Then begin to move feet back and put hands on next lower step until you have dropped down to floor level. It is an easy way to progress to a full floor push up.
    I would also include planks and if you need to you can do planks on the stairs in the same manner.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Kind of a "duh" thing, but remember you can also use stairs, chair, sofa, etc. to change the angle on knee push-ups, too. That makes them substantially harder.

You're getting the medical stuff sorted out and will hopefully be back to full ROM before you know it.:drinker:
  • joehempel
    Options
    Didn't think about stair push ups!

I'll have to definitely give that a shot!! That still gives me the ability to do the oblique work and the running and stuff like that during Insanity

EDIT: Just tried it on the bottom step....full range (until my head it's the 2nd step) with zero pain....awesome suggestion!!!! I feel like I'm getting the full effect of the push up in!