Anybody in college? I have questions.

Options
HealthyMakeover
HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
I can't decide on whether to stay in a college dorm, or to come home after classes daily.
I've made a list of pros and cons but I can't really weigh my options out perfectly because I've never actually experienced this!

I have to make the decision in a couple of weeks.

Anybody care to explain your experience with living in a college dorm, or the opposite?

Replies

• the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    It's been awhile since college years for me, but if $$$$ isn't an issue, stay in the dorms. You learn just as much in College outside the classroom as in one
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Do you want to be independent then stay in dorm. Do you want to be debt free then stay at home.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Living in the dorms is only fun for 1, maybe 2 years TOPS. After that, it's just an annoyance. Get a roomate and split the rent/utilities for your junior and senior year!
  • anewnum1
    anewnum1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Financially, dorms are a ripoff. It can also be distracting from your studies if you roommates party a lot. However, being independent can be a good thing depending on your particular situation.
  • Rosieannaxo
    Options
    I commute an hour and a half EVERY morning and every afternoon. It's the absolute worst, I don't know your mode of transportation but I have to take the a bus and two different subways to get to my school. If I were you, I'd stay in dorms. It's more convenient and you'd have more free time to study, meet people, etc. And in college, time is just so precious and there never seems to be enough of it. If it's a money issue like it is for me, then commuting is definitely cheaper. My school has a partnership with the bus network here and they give huge semester discount bus/subway passes for students.
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I currently commute but wish I had chosen to stay in a dorm but only for the independence. If you don't live too far from school and your home life is good then I vote for staying at home.
  • b2kelly
    Options
    When I went to school not long ago I stayed in the most expensive brand new dorms.. biggest regret is not staying in the grimy dorms, those are where the best people stay and where the most fun parties happen... everyone in my dorm was a loser and just cared about getting good grades.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I live at college. Home for me is about an hour away. I love living at college (I am a junior). It gave me the opportunity to grow up a little bit and become more independent. It is more expensive but it's just a different experience.
  • mcva929
    mcva929 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I live in apartment-style dorm in the middle of campus, so I definitely choose living here! This is my 5th year here, and for me, it's cheaper to live here than to get an off-campus apartment (all the utilities and such are included). During my freshman/sophomore years, I did waaaaay more with people and getting involved because of living on campus, and now, it's just so much easier to get to class on time, not deal with parking, I'm able to come back to my room during class breaks... So, basically I recommend living on campus lol.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    It's been awhile since college years for me, but if $$$$ isn't an issue, stay in the dorms. You learn just as much in college outside the classroom as in one

This. Stay in the dorm. Have fun. Drink beer. Meet people and become more independent. When I went to college, I went out of state, more than 1000 miles from home. Best thing that ever happened to me from an independence and social standpoint. Really helped me come out of my shell.
  • adamnb13
    Options
    Dorms are a rip off in terms of just living costs.. but in the first year of uni, the experience of living with everyone in the same situation, having lots of fun, is sooo worth it. I'm not in a situation where I can live at my family home, but in the second and subsequent years you may want to live at home, or just live in cheaper privately rented accommodation with friends if you want to keep your independence, which you probably will after a year away. But then again, actually having money is always nice.
  • kcris93
    kcris93 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Definitely stay in dorms, I have quite a few friends who are commuters, and they feel as if they miss out on many parts of the whole college experience. I'm in my last year and I've lived both on campus and off, and I'm currently back on campus and I still love it. It really helps your independence.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    tell us more about your personality and study habits. then we can give you more worthwhile advice.
    and i guess the type of school might matter too, or your major.

if you have a major that depends on working a lot in other groups with other students
    or if you will be pretty independant.

how social are you currently? etc
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I can't decide on whether to stay in a college dorm, or to come home after classes daily.
    I've made a list of pros and cons but I can't really weigh my options out perfectly because I've never actually experienced this!

I have to make the decision in a couple of weeks.

Anybody care to explain your experience with living in a college dorm, or the opposite?

finances trumps all.

for the full college social experience, you should live on campus or very close to campus.

however, if you're going to be working to pay for school and finances are tight (and in this economy, that's a common issue for lots of students), living at home for part of college and commuting may be a necessity.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My experience living in dorms:

- easier to make new friends, and it's fun

- a LOT harder to get your studying done. A LOT. SO. MANY. DISTRACTIONS. You have to be reeeeeeeeallly dedicated & self- motivated if you want to live in dorm and still pass your classes.

As a parent, I would never want my kids to live in dorm because I know how much harder it will be for them to pass their courses.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    My experience living in dorms:

- easier to make new friends, and it's fun

- a LOT harder to get your studying done. A LOT. SO. MANY. DISTRACTIONS. You have to be reeeeeeeeallly dedicated & self- motivated if you want to live in dorm and still pass your classes.

As a parent, I would never want my kids to live in dorm because I know how much harder it will be for them to pass their courses.

Really?

Most colleges have libraries.... If a kid can't pass a first year course because of dorm distractions,going to college probably wasn't the right choice imo.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I hated being in a college dorm after the initial novelty wore off. Staying at home wasn't an option as I had to go to another town to study, but I wish I'd had the guts to go into a shared apartment in my first year.

My sister stayed at home and never made as many friends at college as I did though, so if it's a good dorm and you can afford it then I personally think it's a good choice