Trying to figure out how to cook greens

Options
Synamin
Synamin Posts: 80 Member
I've been sauteing power greens (spinach, kale and baby chard) together or separately and I really do not like the taste, almost fishy/seaweedy to me.

Anyone got any ideas on how to cook these things so they actually taste good?

Replies

• amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm not very good with those kinds of things, but have you thought maybe steaming them?
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Don't cook them.
    Put them in a colander or wire mesh and pour a kettle of freshly boiled water over it.
    As soon as the greens have shrunk down, they are perfectly cooked.
  • Appalachiacola
    Options
    I cook turnip greens and collards in water. Boiling them, then simmering them for a couple of hours. I add salt and red pepper to the mix and if you like a slice of bacon. I cover them with water and then simmer until only about a third of the water remains.
  • dannibefit
    dannibefit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    make a salad out of baby spinach. cut it up and eat it raw. also I like to mix my raw veggies such as broccoli and spinach with egg whites, season it with black pepper, cayenne pepper and chicken spice and rosemary and cook it in a sprayed non stick pan. like an egg-white omelette. top that with some seasoned fat free cottage cheese and you have a lovely protein packed meal :)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I usually just throw them in my smoothies (spinach and kale) or chop them up and throw a some in my soups...I am with you I don't like them saute'd either - my niece makes kale chips and her kids eat em up like crazy
  • Guineagirl913
    Guineagirl913 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try sautéing the spinach in a little olive oil and chopped onion., salt and pepper Once the spinach is wilted, add a little crumbled feta and melt. A much lighter version of creamed spinach. My kids love it!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I steam them, pan fry them, or add them to pasta when it's boiling.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    kale chips search on here; or pan sear with some EEVO....yum yum
  • _rosegray
    _rosegray Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    with kale, i usually fry an onion in olive oil on a low heat for about 5mins, then add chopped kale and stir it until it's done - if it's tasting fishy, it might be because you're overcooking it. really fresh stuff tastes so much better too i find :)

aside - cook the kale as above, add some toasted chopped almonds and some roast butternut squash.. best salad ever!
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    Try Bok Choy sauteed in coconut oil & a clove of garlic.... darn, wish I had some now!!!!
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses, folks. Now I have lots of things to try. You guys rock!
  • lseynave
    lseynave Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Last night i boiled kale then added it to sauteed in olive oil, onion, garlic, rosemary and white wine. When I added the kale I also added a can of white kidney beans and topped with a couple of tablespoons of good Parmesan cheese. Yum.