Great alternative for Ice cream lovers!

Options

Replies

• allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ICE CREAM! I must shout it to everyone! Fortunately, ice cream isn't exactly "healthy". I did come up with a good alternative that is...you'll never believe it...UNDER 200 cals! Just take chocolate graham crackers (low fat or reduced cal if you can find them) break them in half and make a "sandwich" with Lite Cool Whip in the middle. Freeze for two hours. Tastes just like an ice cream sandwich with WAY less calories (about 130 for two sandwiches using full calorie graham crackers). YUM!

that sounds literally amazing. thanks!
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    i love your idea....there is skinny cow snickerdoodle ice cream sandwiches (limited edition and hard to find...and so worth the wait!) 150 calories and the cookie part is outrageous good and the filling feels rich! did i mention that they are huge! yum

GAWD YES! I just found these recently and are amazing. I want to stock up before they leave! Lol
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Oh and I totally dig graham crackers with either a dark chocolate spread (I think Hershey's is coming out with a line of them now, but I was able to find them where Dutch food was found like World Market) or the chocolate cream cheese spread. :D

Graham crackers and frosting was a childhood favorite of mine.

... Oh, who am I kidding? It still is.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Now, I could be wrong here, but I believe that the Graham cracker was actually the US's answer to the British digestive biscuit - something about digestives weren't allowed to be sold because they don't actually help digestion :)

So I guess digestives would be a good alternative... :P ha ha

Fact is stranger than fiction.
    According to wikipedia:
    "The graham cracker was originally conceived of as a health food as part of the Graham Diet, a regimen to suppress what he considered unhealthy carnal urges, the source of many maladies according to Graham. Reverend Graham would often lecture on "self-abuse" as *kitten* was commonly called at the time. Graham would often say how these experiences were inspired by children eating crackers.[1] One of his many theories was that one could curb one's sexual appetite by eating bland foods. Another man who held this belief was John Harvey Kellogg, the inventor of the corn flakes cereal.[2]"

So, graham crackers = no *kitten*. Eat at your own risk!

Hahaha!!! My American History prof loved to lecture on this and Kellogg's.... supposedly corn flakes were apparently also used as an enema according to my former prof.

As far as the OP, I like both cool whip and ice cream... but I'm with everyone else, no need to substitute, just work it in. ;)

Cornflake enema???

pffft_zpsc90e218d.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Oh and I totally dig graham crackers with either a dark chocolate spread (I think Hershey's is coming out with a line of them now, but I was able to find them where Dutch food was found like World Market) or the chocolate cream cheese spread. :D

Graham crackers and frosting was a childhood favorite of mine.

... Oh, who am I kidding? It still is.

Yesss!

A guest brought some to a friend's party in recent months. I had forgotten how yummy of a treat that is.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    does walmart not believe in graham crackers?! NONE there
  • jaecobb86
    jaecobb86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana, frozen strawberries and 1/2 cup milk blended with a few ice cubes. Very good.
    This is delicious. I like to make it with just frozen banana, so creamy!

You can add cocoa powder, other fruits, peanut butter, cinnamon, whatever you like for different flavors~

I love frozen bananas, low cal vanilla yogurt, coco powder and peanut butter. Its a great substitute! However, nothing like cookies and cream ice cream from time to time!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Now, I could be wrong here, but I believe that the Graham cracker was actually the US's answer to the British digestive biscuit - something about digestives weren't allowed to be sold because they don't actually help digestion :)

So I guess digestives would be a good alternative... :P ha ha

Fact is stranger than fiction.
    According to wikipedia:
    "The graham cracker was originally conceived of as a health food as part of the Graham Diet, a regimen to suppress what he considered unhealthy carnal urges, the source of many maladies according to Graham. Reverend Graham would often lecture on "self-abuse" as *kitten* was commonly called at the time. Graham would often say how these experiences were inspired by children eating crackers.[1] One of his many theories was that one could curb one's sexual appetite by eating bland foods. Another man who held this belief was John Harvey Kellogg, the inventor of the corn flakes cereal.[2]"

So, graham crackers = no *kitten*. Eat at your own risk!
    They made a movie about Kellogg and his retreat thing. I can't remember the name of it.

What? I have to google this!
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwiches....yum!
  • delaney056
    Options
    How about ice cream and whipped cream?
    :smokin: :drinker:
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I love ice cream! But I'm lactose intolerant. Yonanas is a great substitute. I wasn't sold on the idea of frozen bananas masquerading as ice cream but a friend of mine had me try some at her house, I went out and got a Yonanas making machine the next week. It's fantastic, and you can make a million flavors with it.
  • tnladyvol
    Options
    BUMP! THANKS FOR SHARING CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THIS!:love:
  • chrissyschoen
    Options
    If it helps, my mom used to give me frozen pudding cups as 'Ice Cream.' I still do that to this day at work and nobody has asked why is there snack packs in the freezer. XD
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sweet Meal biscuits like Wheaton or Digestive biscuits are similar fast to graham crackers.

my ice cream is non fat Greek yogurt and your choice of frozen fruit in my Vitamix blender makes rich ice cream ( add sweetener of flavoring of choice).
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Wow. A lot of you are harsh! The poster obviously wanted to share something good she discovered to be nice. If you'd rather eat ice cream then fine. Why must you blast someone for liking an alternative? Unless you have something nice or helpful, why post a response? Just carry on and let her be. Sheesh! Go ahead, bash me if you must to make yourself feel better. By the way, I love using a frozen banana blended in my food processor with peanut butter. That is my ice cream alternative. :-)

THIS^^
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Wow. A lot of you are harsh! The poster obviously wanted to share something good she discovered to be nice. If you'd rather eat ice cream then fine. Why must you blast someone for liking an alternative? Unless you have something nice or helpful, why post a response? Just carry on and let her be. Sheesh! Go ahead, bash me if you must to make yourself feel better. By the way, I love using a frozen banana blended in my food processor with peanut butter. That is my ice cream alternative. :-)

THIS^^

Since you can't be bothered to read all of the replies in this thread, I'm just going to requote WendyTerry420 and JoRocka who both already responded to this.
    some people are so rude, which on this site is NOT necessary. I, like many others, are welcome to healthier alternatives. I agree with this snack, and lite whip cream is very low in cals and sugar....MUCH better than ice cream. Also, another trick...take one tbsp of peanut butter, i like crunchy, and mix it thoroughly with the lite whip cream. SO good, tastes like peanut butter pie filling.

how is that any less than this?
    my Turkey Hill Lite Moose tracks is 110 for one serving- which is only 220 for 2 (about 120 grams).

delicious.

nice idea- but I'll take ice cream deliciousness

it's not about being rude- it's about being educated- and the point is- it's no more or less healthy than ice cream.

Right! I was taught "Honesty is the best policy." I think it's rude to let people believe things that aren't true. I would have quit long ago if not for the so-called "rude" people on MFP who were not afraid to tell the truth!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

THIS^^

Since you can't be bothered to read all of the replies in this thread, I'm just going to requote WendyTerry420 and JoRocka who both already responded to this.
    some people are so rude, which on this site is NOT necessary. I, like many others, are welcome to healthier alternatives. I agree with this snack, and lite whip cream is very low in cals and sugar....MUCH better than ice cream. Also, another trick...take one tbsp of peanut butter, i like crunchy, and mix it thoroughly with the lite whip cream. SO good, tastes like peanut butter pie filling.

how is that any less than this?
    my Turkey Hill Lite Moose tracks is 110 for one serving- which is only 220 for 2 (about 120 grams).

delicious.

nice idea- but I'll take ice cream deliciousness

it's not about being rude- it's about being educated- and the point is- it's no more or less healthy than ice cream.

Right! I was taught "Honesty is the best policy." I think it's rude to let people believe things that aren't true. I would have quit long ago if not for the so-called "rude" people on MFP who were not afraid to tell the truth!

Well, there's that, and it's also just gross
  • AllisonSyzdek
    Options
    I agree! She posted an alternative she likes. No reason to attack the lady!
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy but we don't have graham crackers here in the UK :cry: i'm not sure what a similar item would be here.

Do you have chocolate tea biscuits? Something like this: http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/1928585/Chocolate-Tea-Biscuit.htm?gclid=CLeW15ChrLwCFaVQOgodJQoAzA

They have a lot less chocolate flavor than graham crackers. . .but I guess you could probably order actual graham crackers online somewhere. :)